Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In late 1959 I was junior r/o deep sea on Mahronda. Have uncovered a photo of the man I recall was chief r/o. Can anyone put a name to him? Would it be Cliff Watson? He is the chap with specs in the centre, 3rd from right. The crew are off Mahanada, 1957 on a picnic to Durgapur outside Calcutta - the man in question was not from Mahanada and will have been a visitor.
Far left is Ken Carr, electrician, 2nd is Mike, apprentice, 3rd is some businessman that organised the trip, 5th is me, 6th is Mahanada's purser a chap from Bootle methinks.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hi Harry,
The chap with the glasses is not Cliff Watson. I sailed as 2R/O with Cliff on Mahronda in ‘64. A memorable voyage ‘cos Cliff was the stuff of legends and he lived up to his reputation.
I have a pic somewhere with Cliff in it during a sesssion in my cabin.
Happy days,
gwzm

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Harry,
The chap with the glasses is not Cliff Watson. I sailed as 2R/O with Cliff on Mahronda in ‘64. A memorable voyage ‘cos Cliff was the stuff of legends and he lived up to his reputation.
Happy days,
gwzm
Thanks, gwzm for clearing that up. Another name has just plopped into my vagueness - Steve Lee. Anyone recognise him as Steve Lee?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Thanks, gwzm for clearing that up. Another name has just plopped into my vagueness - Steve Lee. Anyone recognise him as Steve Lee?
Hi Harry,
Happy days,
gwzm
We had a Cliff Watson as Ch Radio Off on SS Maihar May 1957-May 1958, a short tubby lad from Arbroath, likes his grog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts