Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have pictures of the old Clyde Pilot boat called the Gantock if I remember right she was an old Naval Pinnace,also can anybody tell me what happened to her after she was retired from Pilotage Duties

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
If you contact S.MOODIE , you can ask Sandy to post you a photo of the model
he made of her. A lovely job.
Maybe he also has photos of the full size thing.

JC

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pilot boat Gantock

I'm very surprised that nobody remembers the old Pilot Boats at Gourock,some of you remember the the big one called the ***brae (No1)
the other one was the Gantock (No2) and the third one was the Kempock (No3) all were well maintained and well kept and were always gleaming from stem to stern I had the pleasure of working on the engines of them,while serving my apprenticship with the Clyde Port Authority and would really like to know of their fate whither it be good or bad

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Threads merged

Veral,
I certainly remember all three Pilot Boats which you mention. As previously stated, ***brae was my favourite. No3 Kempock, was more akin to a submarine, dark blue hull and lovely rounded varnished accommodation but, because of her low freeboard, she was always awash in heavy weather.
Gantock, No2 was indeed a bonnie we boat as well, I have no idea what happened to her once she was disposed of by CPA but I'm on the case. I'll see what I can find out.
Come on all you past and present Clydesiders, lets try and help Vernal out. (Thumb)

Threads merged for sake of continuity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw the question of the Gantock in the forum and joined to respond. The old Gantock was taken out of service in the early sixties after being sold to my father. She was converted to a yacht, with minimal changes, but her hull was so rotten that she had to be totally replated. She was renamed Clytus and sold on when I was at sea, so never knew who bought her.

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Thanks and welcome

Sandy,

Thank you for the information on Gantock and a warm welcome to SN from the Isle of Anglesey. (Thumb)

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the help Guys,the old girl sure has changed from her original design and I can imagine how bad the hull was I remeber when I worked for the Clyde Port Authority they had to replace part of the hull then and if I remeber right they had to remove about 10 tons of Ballast(Pig Iron) when she was on the slip and when My Journeyman and myself went to do the alignment on the prop shaft the hull had twisted enough that we had a hell of a time doing the line up after that they put the ballast back in bit the prop shaft bearing still run hot for a while,I have attach a link so that you can see the original design (Thanks to the Clydesite web Base)
www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=14235
Cheers
Norm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts