Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lying in the Clyde,between Greenock and Helensburgh,there is a capsized
vessel,I was told it was a ''sugar'' ship.
Does anyone have more information.
Name?
Company?
When sunk?
Reason for sinking?
Why not removed?

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
wakaman,

She is the Greek cargo vessel CAPTAYANNIS which sank on the evening of 27th January 1974

Have a look on Google Earth. The area is mapped in high definition and the wreck is clearly visible.

Go to this url for the full story. (Thumb)

Ray

http://www.clydesite.co.uk/articles/captayannis.asp

P.S. I should have mentioned that our own "Fairfield" contributed to the article shown in the url. (Applause)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Gulpers said:
wakaman,

She is the Greek cargo vessel CAPTAYANNIS which sank on the evening of 27th January 1974

Have a look on Google Earth. The area is mapped in high definition and the wreck is clearly visible.

Go to this url for the full story. (Thumb)

Ray

http://www.clydesite.co.uk/articles/captayannis.asp

P.S. I should have mentioned that our own "Fairfield" contributed to the article shown in the url. (Applause)
Good link yersel fella, and good article Fairfield, first time I've seen a picture of her before she went over, and first time I've seen close ups of her as she is now.

·
Ship's Minstrel
797 Posts
I've just had a look on Google earth....she looks very sad there.
Location is 55 58'33 N, 4 44'30 W.

·
Ship's Minstrel
797 Posts
Visible wrecks

It got me thinking, I wonder how many other wrecks are visible on Google Earth?

One other that I've found is the remains of the SS America, off Fuerteventura. She can be seen at 28 20'46 N, 14 10'50 W.

BTW, if anybody hasn't tried Google Earth, it's great fun, I've had hours of entertainment "flying" around the world, looking stuff up. The picture definition varies quite a bit, but high resolution pictures are there for lots of places.
I was looking at the Panama Canal earlier this evening, and ships are visible in the locks.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To all you guys who answered my query,thanks,I stayed in Helensburgh
5 yrs ago,for 3 weeks,all my hosts could tell me,was ,it was ''the sugar ship''.
The website was excellent.

Cheers Wakaman (Applause)

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Wakaman,

Glad to help. Good reading, wasn't it! (Thumb)

·
Registered
18 Posts
elcapestranos loaded with raw sugar draged her ancor stuck an oil tanker then driffted onto the sanbank and listed to where she still is what a bad night that was it must of happend early that morning as i saw it about six o,clock am going to mywork e.n.t.hospital greenock.

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
elcapestranos loaded with raw sugar draged her ancor stuck an oil tanker then driffted onto the sanbank and listed to where she still is what a bad night that was it must of happend early that morning as i saw it about six o,clock am going to mywork e.n.t.hospital greenock.
Frances,

When was the old E.N.T. (Ear, Nose and Throat) hospital demolished?

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
iam almost certain it was about 1978-79 it is now shelter houseing i worked in it in 1977 my name is sandy my email adress startes with frances.
Hi Sandy,

Thanks for that.
My parents used to know the Matron in the ENT - I can't recall her surname now but her christian name was Margaret.
Oddly enough, my mother now lives along the road from the old ENT - on the Esplanade opposite the Eldon Street entrance to the Bagatelle. (Thumb)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Guys I go with the earfly 80's. I left mid 1977 and was dowm regularly until 1981 - it seems after that as I dont remember it coming down. More to the point whats going to happen to the "Crystal Palace"....all locked up and looking sad!

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Guys I go with the earfly 80's. I left mid 1977 and was dowm regularly until 1981 - it seems after that as I dont remember it coming down. More to the point whats going to happen to the "Crystal Palace"....all locked up and looking sad!
Thanks for that Rennie. I'm pretty sure you are right.

Crystal Palace indeed - that's certainly another name from the past to conjure with - where do folks "go" nowadays?
Every time I visit the area there are significant changes, particularly along the waterfront! (EEK)

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Scottseng,

It's amazing how names come back to you "out of the blue!"

Miss Slack doesn't ring a bell but the surname I'd forgotten was
MacKay ........... Margaret MacKay ............. I think! (?HUH)

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Sandy,

No mate, never worked there although I was treated a couple of times as a kid.
It just struck me when I read your mention of the E.N.T. that I didn't remember it being demolished. Must have been away at sea when it happened! (Thumb)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts