Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Coast Lines Ltd "SHIPS" Hi All;

I came across this article of a collision between two vessels in 1925 one of which was a Coast Lines Ship.

On 21st April 1925 White Star "Celtic" collided with Coast Line's Hampshire Coast but only suffered superficial damage. The Hampshire Coast was more badly damaged but managed to reach port.

There was a C-L Hampshire Coast of 1936 built by Ardrossan Dockyard, but the above vessel was much earlier,

Any of you have particulars of the ship involved in the collision? Any help will be appreciated,
Cheers,
Rory

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Hugh;

Thank you for identifying the ‘OldHampshire Coast for me. The dates of “in service” help a lot. I went to the NMM Site, but I sure have always found it difficult to navigate those “official type” sites. I managed to type in the name of the vessel, and it returned everything that had coast in it. Not all bad as it has also somewhat solved some other ships I had questions on. At least the date of photo [I assume that is what I'm looking at] helps show earlier versions of ships carrying the same name.

Cheers,
Rory

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Hampshire Coast

Hi Rory,

Yes, I agree they can be difficult to navigate if you are not used to them.
Just type into "Find" - Hampshire Coast then in "Subject" - Merchant Navy and it should be at the top of the list.

HAMPSHIRE COAST (Br) 50.3 1911
General cargo, short sea
Score: 100%, Matching: hampshir coast

(BR) Country of Registration
50.3 Internal museum code
1911 Date built

Rgds

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Hugh;

Thanks for the explanation of the various codes. At first I thought 50.3 1911 was some form of date unknown to me, and now know only the 1911 counts: and is the year of completion for merchant ships. I typed in [space Coast], and up came everything named X Coast, great. I then took a gander at their price list and had a seizure. A lot of very old Coast vessels there, and many of them ‘new’ to me. The reuse of the ship names seems very common with this company, but then too they may not all be associated with Coast Lines Ltd. I would like to find the old company postcards or even good scans of them as they are probably a bit cheaper.

Hugh, the years of service you posted did not come from the NMM Site. I wonder if you might know the builder, and some of the specs? Sure would be appreciated.

It would be nice to have a page just for Coast Lines Ltd, and interested parties to join in to share their knowledge.

Cheers,
Rory

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Hello Rory,

Sorry I forgot to mention that the NMM will take you to the cleaners. Their prices are a way over the top.

I have no more information about the Hampshire Coast except to tell you that I got my info from the Mariners List Archive (1998) Have a look here:

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/Mariners/1998-08/0903008649

The lady is enquiring about the same ship and even has a photo may be worthwhile dropping an email to her or posting a question on the list.

Maybe someone else on this site may have some more information.

There is some info on Coast Lines here:
http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/CoastLines.html

Hope this helps.

Rgds

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ss "Aberdeen Coast"

Hi Hugh;

I did check that website you mentioned, and saw your post up there,

Up on Ebay today there is a photo of Coast Lines Ltd. Liverpool, their "Aberdeen Coast-1903". This is another vessel I knew nothing about either. Somewhere there must be a Roster for the ships of this company. Sure would appreciate knowing where I might locate one.

The small image I am hoping to attach is for sale by auction on Ebay for interested parties.

Cheers,
Rory

Attachments

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MV Atlantic Coast

Hi All;

I wonder if any of you fellow enthusiasts can provide some further information on these two coasters. The vessels were owned by Coast Lines Ltd. Liverpool

ATLANTIC COAST-1934 built by H. Robb Ltd, Aberdeen
I assume she is a 'near' sister to BRITISH COAST-1934 built by H. Robb Ltd, Leith, but that is just a guess on my part.

ATLANTIC COAST-1944
The info on this vessel is based on the date of a photo at the National Maritime Museum.

Any assistance will be most appreciated.

Cheers
Rory

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Hi Rory,

Atlantic Coast completed January 1944 as Liberty Ship John Sherman .

1944 WSA (Alcoa SS Co, NY)
1947 ATLANTIC COAST, Atlantic Maritime Co.- Panamanian flag (Boyd, Weir & Sewell, NY)
1948 (Livanos & Co, NY)
1950 Liberian flag.
1952 Atlantic Cargo Carriers Inc.- Liberian flag (same managers)
1953 Atlantic Freighters Ltd - Liberian flag (same managers)
1961 DEMOS A, Demades & D. Gioulis - Greek flag. (Livanos Ltd, London)
1965 Demos Special Maritime Co - Greek flag (same managers)
1967 Scrapped Osaka.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Rory,

You are quite correct regarding Atlantic Coast 1934 being a sister to British Coast 1934.

Photo (British Coast) 1934 (Talbot Booth Merchant Ships 1942) not very good. attached below.

Attachments

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MV "Devon Coast" II & III

Hello Hugh, and Thanks as always.

Well! That EC2 Liberty threw me for a loop for sure. Just a bit big for many of the little ports we called on. As I mentioned, I only had reference to a photo listing at the NMM., and sort of drew my own conclusions from that. The ‘other’ Atlantic Coast-1934 sure does not appear on anything I try my hand to locate. I checked the “War Losses”, and nothing there, and neither Atlantic Coast nor British Coast survived with the company to appear on Bob Sanders very fine 1954 Ship Rosters.

I noticed the dates built for another pair of Coast Line vessels, and initially thought the ‘closeness’ a typo. Devon Coast-1936 and Devon Coast-1937. The former was sunk by aerial bombing on December 2nd, 1943 at Bari, Italy, during WW2. The other [1937] must have been something else when launched, and certainly up to 1943 when Coast Lines lost the former. Devon Coast-1937 appears on Bob Sanders Coast Lines 1954 Roster at BRT 972, but nothing for the builder or former history.

Thanks also for the thumbnail photo of British Coast this always helps. Something about “a picture is worth a thousand words”.
Cheers,
Rory

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Hugh. Good postcard of British Coast in my gallery, Page3. You can down load if you want to.
All the best. Barney.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Hello Barney,

Thanks, that photo of British Coast is of better quality than mine.
Many Happy Returns. Hope you have a nice birthday.
Rgds
Hugh

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Hi Rory,

Rory_P_OConnor said:
Atlantic Coast nor British Coast survived with the company to appear on Bob Sanders very fine 1954 Ship Rosters.
Rory
Do you mean Atlantic Coast and British Coast. If you check Bob Sanders site you will see they were both still in service in 1954.

I have a list of all Coast Lines vessels in service in 1942. Devon Coast (1936) 500gt is listed but nothing on your 1937 vessel will keep looking for you.

It may be worth emailing Bob Sanders for the info on the 1937 vessel.

Rgds

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello Hugh;

I jumped the Gun on British Coast and Atlantic Coast not being on The 1954 Roster. They are there plain as day. I think I was confused with trying to find photos, images or cards of the two together with the Pacific Coast of 1935. Barney put up a fine image of British Coast, but the other two continues to elude me.

Would be most interested to know 'what and where' on the second Devon Coast-1937 was before joining Coast Lines.

Cheers,
Rory

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Hello Rory,

A little more.
SS Devon Coast (1937) Coast Lines
ex Yewbranch ex Lottie R.
This ship was still in service in 1963. There is a photo of her for sale here:
http://www.ship-photos.dynamic-site.net/index.php
Black and White photo for five quid (sterling) - better than the NMM.
Still don't know her final fate.
Rgds

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Hugh;

Great that you found previous names. I just tried to look them up. I found a sort of story where a person had signed on Lottie R back in the 1930s, but no other information on her. Did get a email off to Bob, and hope he responds.

Some time ago, Barney [danube4] had directed me to Vic Young in New Zealand regarding photographs of Coast Line ships and others. I am presently awaiting descriptions of many vessels from Vic so as to place an order. There is something like 37,000 entries in Vic’s database, but over 100,000 photos in all on hand. I have asked for the three ships I spoke of here also, but will have to wait to hear back.

The only Rosters I have for Coast Lines seem to have come from something like Lloyds, and are dated 1947-48, 1951-52 and 1961-62; they do not give a lot of info.

Always appreciate your [or anybody else] input here.

Cheers,
Rory

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
hi i worked on the dorset coast in smiths dock fitted a new type of tween deck hatches wich were the full width of the ship they were chain driven by a winch on the lower tank top with gypsy each end first try ripped the gypsys of the winch and bent both shafts the hatches had no wheels just ran on tween deck steel to steel i dont think they were ever a success.
cheers tom (*))

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Rory,

I can give you a list of all the "Coasts" in service 1942 if that will help you.

Rgds

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Rory, Hugh. Have you got "Pembroke Coast" 1912. If not try: //riversea.tugtalk.co.uk/memories/pembrokecoast1912.hmt
Barney.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts