Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, Does anyone know anything about a NIMBUS Type340 HF Tx, made by Coastal Radio. 1950's vintage, I believe.

Regards, David

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
NIMBUS Tx Type 340

Further info, after getting the wee beast home. Its a 10 channel Marine Band AM Tx . Ex RNLI Lifeboat installation.
Coastal Radio Ltd was also called "Marconi(1956) Ltd", I believe. Based in Leith, & went out of business in the 1970's. Not quite as big as my Sailor Radio(sp Radio Aalborg, Denmark) 76D Tx Marine Tx, or as sophisticated. But well built, never the less.
Prime candidate for restoration, therefore any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, David

Attachments

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Coastal Radio was bought by Marconi's in the 1950s and I believe was operating from Poole in Dorset. It was reduced to an office in the Marconi Marine HQ (Elettra House) in Chelmsford by the 1970s, staffed by the MD Eric Hawkyard and his assistant Harry Carter.

It ran in that manner for several years, possibly even into the 1980s but I can't remember when it was eventually wound up. Eric retired on health grounds (I believe it was following a heart attack and Harry ran it for a few years on his own.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coastal Radio Tx

Folks, Haven't got much further with my research. However, many thanks for info so far.
Considering that Coastal Radio also had a depot in Poole - I've sent several email enquiries to the RNLI Station there, but no replies.
Also tried contacting Fort Perch Rock, but again, no replies.
Guess I'll just have to go back to 1st principals & trace the circuitry & produce my own schematics.
Regards, David

·
Registered
591 Posts
Reminds me of what a 'proper' radio should look like inside! Thanks for the pictures and good luck with your restoration work.
Cheers Bob

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well here's a guess ...

3 x UX5 bases = 3 x 807's.
The big valve with the whoolie hat is the crystal oscillator driving them.
Top left is a double pentode/beam tetrode of sorts driving the modulation transformer (right next door) push pull.
And the B9A valve bottom left is a double triode, phase splitter in one half and microphone preamplifier in the other?

What say the experts?

= Adrian +

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coastal Radio Tx

Adrian, you're pretty close. The big yin with the wooley hat is actually a CV1068/AW4 Voltage Stabilizer, and the double anode yin is a septar based QV06-40A D/B Tetrode.
The crystals are inside the central front compartment beneath the tuning control.
I imagine about 50W o/p. Would really like to complete the trio of Static Inverter Unit & Rx. All driven, I'm told, from a vessel's 24V DC supply.
Interestingly, those 807's are jolly versatile. I can remember them in RAF Tannoy AF Amplifiers in the 60's. Also, they are used in a wartime Cossor 339 D/Beam Oscilloscope I've refurbished - as Y amplifiers.
Seemingly, after the war there were thousands of these military spec valves available as surplus stock, and were put to many uses.

Regards, David

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coastal Radio Tx

Visually there is no evidence that the fitment of the QQV06-40A is a modification, and its performance as a P-P modulator is something I'm dying to see.
Thankfully I've several spares for both the Mod & PA valves.

Regards, David

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Hi David, A nice restoration project, it'll be good if you could keep us posted on the restoration process.
It appears the front panel inscriptions are engraved which hopefully that will ease cosmetic restoration providing the under paint corrosion is not deep, a clean-up & use of engraving wax will see it looking like new again.
Nice to see point-to-point circuitry again which appears relatively free of corrosion.

Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Coastal Radio Tx

Right enough, Mike, considering its age & past operating enviroment, this old Tx isn't in bad condition. Back in the 70's & 80's,I worked on Sailor Radio equipment for a while aboard the fishing fleet in the north of Scotland. Some of that equipment was quite badly corroded despite it being a lot newer than this Tx.
Once I start on its restoration, I'll certainly keep folk posted. I'm half-way through restoring another ancient Cossor Oscilloscope just now, but this Tx is next on the list. Then after that - I've a massive 1000series (1127Tx/1117Rx) Sailor cabineted installation to complete. I just use it's battery charging & psu units at the moment. Thankfully it was a shore-based installation & is in mint condition.

Regards, David

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
What a wonderful occupation David, I'm looking forward very much to your progress reports (on any of your restoration projects). Its really good to see equipment given a new lease of life instead of like many just ending up in landfill.

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Coastal Radio Tx

R651400, Tried to add some photos to the Gallery, rejected because of "File Size".
However, for your perusal, will try & add as a thread picture.
There is a picture of some ex MFV HF AM Sailor Radio equipment, and a picture of a huge cabinet(just home from being saved from the dreaded "Skip") containing complete mint condition Sailor 1000 series SSB Equipment(ex Coastguard). Note in the background - a refurbished Lister LR2 9HP Generator Engine. Typical of many that were fitted to small coastal vessels for standby power supply purposes.

Regards, David

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Coastal Radio Ltd

Thanks to a very nice guy getting in touch regarding my original query, I've now aquired a smaller CURLEW Type 350 Tx/Rx. Many thanks to Joe.
So the search for circuit diagrams/manuals has intensified, now that I have two pieces of vintage Coastal Radio equipment to renovate. However, the Curlew set is in pristine condition & looks ready to fire up. But shall do some precautionary tests first.

Regards, David

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Further info, after getting the wee beast home. Its a 10 channel Marine Band AM Tx . Ex RNLI Lifeboat installation.
Coastal Radio Ltd was also called "Marconi(1956) Ltd", I believe. Based in Leith, & went out of business in the 1970's. Not quite as big as my Sailor Radio(sp Radio Aalborg, Denmark) 76D Tx Marine Tx, or as sophisticated. But well built, never the less.
Prime candidate for restoration, therefore any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, David
Hi David,

I saw your request for info in the VMARS News Sheet which arrived yesterday and dropped you an e-mail. Quite a coincidence when I signed-on here and found your request again! Anyway, in my e-mail I mentioned that the Hoswick Visitor Centre on Shetland has a radio museum and they have the same set as you, only in apparently better nick.

Looking around this site, I see that Cecil Duncan who runs the museum and indeed owns all the kit, is a member of SN too, small world. His c/s is GM0EKM and you can find him on QRZ.com. I'm sure Cecil will be glad to pass on any info he has. If you speak to him, mention my name and say hi, I'm working over the Norwegian side these days and haven't been into Lerwick for a while.

All the best,

Roger Basford/Searcher2004

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Coastal Radio Ltd

Roger, many thanks for your VMARS response & for this one. Yes, I've already emailed Cecil, but no reply yet. I do hope that he has some do***entation on the old NimbusTx &/or Curlew Tx/Rx.
If my old HF rig was working fine, I guess I could give him a call. To digress, ( I really should put out a seperate post), all I have is an ex fishing boat's Sailor Radio 76D AM HF Tx & its partner the 66TS Rx. But since re-crystalling it to the 80 & 160m Amateur Bands it really doesn't like my aerial/earth arrangements. This is often a problem, I'm told, with Tx's who are used to having one foot in the oggin all the time.
Years ago, when I worked on fishing boats, I never had a problem with Sailor HF sets. Irrespective of whatever the wavelength was, they always tuned up their marine band frequencies to whatever the distance was between the masts for the end-fed aerial.
Anyway, back to subject. Seemingly, according to Sandy Firth at the Orkney Wireless Museum, they also have some Coastal Radio equipment & maybe some do***entation. However, poor old Sandy has been ill recently. So I'll no doubt hear from him when he's better.
I'm certainly very grateful to all the folk who have corresponded so far. Thanks guys.

Regards, David

·
Registered
154 Posts
Roger, many thanks for your VMARS response & for this one. Yes, I've already emailed Cecil, but no reply yet. I do hope that he has some do***entation on the old NimbusTx &/or Curlew Tx/Rx.
If my old HF rig was working fine, I guess I could give him a call. To digress, ( I really should put out a seperate post), all I have is an ex fishing boat's Sailor Radio 76D AM HF Tx & its partner the 66TS Rx. But since re-crystalling it to the 80 & 160m Amateur Bands it really doesn't like my aerial/earth arrangements. This is often a problem, I'm told, with Tx's who are used to having one foot in the oggin all the time.
Years ago, when I worked on fishing boats, I never had a problem with Sailor HF sets. Irrespective of whatever the wavelength was, they always tuned up their marine band frequencies to whatever the distance was between the masts for the end-fed aerial.
Anyway, back to subject. Seemingly, according to Sandy Firth at the Orkney Wireless Museum, they also have some Coastal Radio equipment & maybe some do***entation. However, poor old Sandy has been ill recently. So I'll no doubt hear from him when he's better.
I'm certainly very grateful to all the folk who have corresponded so far. Thanks guys.

Regards, David
Hi David,

Glad that was of some small help. If you contact me on the e-mail address I used for the VMARS message I'll send you some photos of what Cecil has up there.

Cheers

Roger

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Coastal Radio Ltd

Many thanks to Roger again for the link to Cecil Duncan in Shetland, Cecil has come up trumps with heaps of info on the Nimbus installation & the Curlew Rx.
The Curlew Rx is working fine, just needed 24V to spread across the heaters, and 12V for valve HT's. The Curlew Tx is lighting up my dummy load(60W/240V domestic bulb) fine & is spot-on for all six channels according to my wee freq meter. A 5K resistor had been o/c, and a 0.01uf capacitor had blown. Thats all so far, but need to find out why it doesn't transmit on "Low" power selection. All it needs is 24V again for the heaters & to energise the PTT relay, and 500V for valve HT's.
Getting the bigger Nimbus Tx will be a challenge. Normally it would need it's own CR DC PSU :- Either a Rotary PSU or an DC Converter. According to the manual, both are fused at 750mA. I think I'll rig up a connection to my Sailor N1400 PSU, which will give me all the HT mA I need.

Regards, David

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nimbus/Curlew Update

Folks, managed to get the Nimbus Tx fully working over the Xmas holiday period.
It is now paired with the Static Inverter HT PSU out of an old Sailor T122 SSB Tx. The PSU, originally designed to supply 1000V, works fine after being converted to 500V o/p. The T122's big green cabinet, turned on its side & cut out - made an ideal cabinet for this Coastal Radio/Sailor Hybrid.
Sucessful skywave calls were made on 3615MHz to Cardiff(425miles) and Twente University, Holland(500miles).
Have now moved on to the smaller Coastal Radio Curlew set. I've aquired a rotary HT PSU off a PTR175 airborne transciever. So am in the process of altering it to work in the place of the missing CR Power Unit Type 352.
Two hefty 12V tractor batteries connected to the N1404 Batt Charger out of my huge Sailor 1000 Series ex Coastguard HF Base Station, gives me an excellent vessel-like 24V DC supply.
Thanks again for help, advice & encouragement. However, if this report jogs any memories of possible sources of old Coastal Radio litrature or spares - please get in touch.
Those who were aquainted with CR in years past - may remember their engineer Karol Cebula. He originally worked out of their Leith Depot in the 50's before moving up to Buckie, then to the Broch with Marconi Marine.Sadly, he doesn't keep well now & lives in an old folks home in Buckie.

Regards, David

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts