Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice one David, look forward to hearing it on 3615kc.

I don't know if you use the VMARS Yahoo group but there was a member looking for Coastal info on there earlier this week. I passed him Cecil's details.

Roger Basford

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Nimbus/Curlew Update

Thanks Roger for the info. Despite being a VMARS member myself, & a member of several Yahoo groups, I never knew of that particular VMARS Yahoo Group.
Anyway, I've joined & am awaiting acceptance. It wasn't a chap called Ted Beddoes by any chance, was it ? I've been communicating with him for a while now. Myself, Ted, & I seem to remember a chap in Lancashire I think, are the only ones I know of who have attempted to get these robust old sets working.
I see I originally wrote 3615 MHz yesterday instead of KHz. Dont think CR intended them to work in "E" Band !
Just wondering - after CR was taken over by Marconi Marine - were some of their sets re-badged ? Is there a list of Marconi's R/T sets from the 50's & 60's with a brief discription of their capabilities & circuitry ? Mention of 807's as PA's, or QQV06 -40's as modulators, or QV06-20's as PA's - might be a clue.

Regards, David

PS. Roger - VMARS Yahoo acceptance through already. Well, strap me to the mainmast - - cant see any Coastal Radio message. Was it under a different heading ?

·
Registered
154 Posts
T
PS. Roger - VMARS Yahoo acceptance through already. Well, strap me to the mainmast - - cant see any Coastal Radio message. Was it under a different heading ?
Hi David

It was a posting by Ted that I referred to, I gave him Cecil's details.

Which VMARS group have you joined, is it VMARS-Member, as there are several? There has been a lot of TFC on the Member group recently relating to the new 5 MHz allocations so you may have to look back a few days to find Ted's MSG.

Roger

A/S Ijmuiden

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Range of Coastal Radio Ltd Equipment

Folks, Something I'd really like to know from those who've used CR equipment aboard vessels in the past - is range ?
For example, the Manual for the Nimbus Tx claims 50W carrier power & 90% modulation, therefore a few more watts of PEP. The manual also says the Nimbus is designed for vessels up to 500grt. Obviously not deep sea equipment, and more obviously(going by the company name) designed for UK coastal & possibly North Sea usage. Furthermore, their Rx's were designed to use the old "CONSOL" nav system.(Triangulation ? - Bushmills/Stavanger/Ploneis). By the way - where is Ploneis ?
Once I've finished all my CR renovation work, I'd like to find out more about Consol.
When I first joined the RAF S & R Helicopter Squadron north of the Humber in the early 60's - I struggled for ages to get my head around Decca Mk8. In the late 60's I built a test bench for the new Elliott/Marconi ILS/VOR equipment. About 15 years later I remember fitting to fishing boats -"Shipmate" equipment which elbowed their way into Decca's nav system. That was a lot easier to understand. Sadly, I've forgotten just about everything. So something simplistic like Consol - will be a nice wee interesting project.

Regards, David

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
By the way - where is Ploneis ?
It is near Concarneau, in Brittany, northwest France.

There was another, very useful station at Lugo, near La Coruna in northwest Spain.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Coastal Radio Ltd 91/MX R/T set, info wanted

Hi All,

I've tacked this post onto an existing thread about Coastal Radio Ltd of Edinburgh. I have acquired an early 1950s 91/MX radio-telephone in near working order which I'm intending to use on the 160 metre amateur band, where there is still some AM activity. I'm looking for info on the 91/MX in particular but also on any of the companies radios and especially circuit diagrams.

In the 1940s Coastal had the contract to lease and maintain radios used on RNLI lifeboats and I have found some info on the company and equipment in the archives for the "Lifeboat" magazine. There is little info on-line on the older radios and what there is is mostly on the later sets like the "Nimbus".

Any help appreciated!

Roger

(G3VKM)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Coastal Radio Ltd 91/MX R/T set, info wanted

Hi All,

I've tacked this post onto an existing thread about Coastal Radio Ltd of Edinburgh. I have acquired an early 1950s 91/MX radio-telephone in near working order which I'm intending to use on the 160 metre amateur band, where there is still some AM activity. I'm looking for info on the 91/MX in particular but also on any of the companies radios and especially circuit diagrams.

In the 1940s Coastal had the contract to lease and maintain radios used on RNLI lifeboats and I have found some info on the company and equipment in the archives for the "Lifeboat" magazine. There is little info on-line on the older radios and what there is is mostly on the later sets like the "Nimbus".

Any help appreciated!

Roger

(G3VKM)
Still looking for info on the 91/MX!

Cheers

Roger

·
Registered
16 Posts
Coastal Radio Tx

R651400, Tried to add some photos to the Gallery, rejected because of "File Size".
However, for your perusal, will try & add as a thread picture.
There is a picture of some ex MFV HF AM Sailor Radio equipment, and a picture of a huge cabinet(just home from being saved from the dreaded "Skip") containing complete mint condition Sailor 1000 series SSB Equipment(ex Coastguard). Note in the background - a refurbished Lister LR2 9HP Generator Engine. Typical of many that were fitted to small coastal vessels for standby power supply purposes.

Regards, David
interested to see the picture of the Sailor 1000B HF equipment,back in 1981 when I worked at Greenham Marine my boss and I went over to Aalborg and had a week long course on this set, subsequently I installed several of them including one on the yacht Drum owned by Simon le Bon which did the whitbread round the world race in the early 1980's.very good set typical S P Radio quality,The Coastal Curlew brings back memories as well. Best of luck with them

regards Tim J

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
interested to see the picture of the Sailor 1000B HF equipment,back in 1981 when I worked at Greenham Marine my boss and I went over to Aalborg and had a week long course on this set, subsequently I installed several of them including one on the yacht Drum owned by Simon le Bon which did the whitbread round the world race in the early 1980's.very good set typical S P Radio quality,The Coastal Curlew brings back memories as well. Best of luck with them

regards Tim J

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
My sincere apologies to Roger & Tim for not replying sooner. Helluva jump from 2011, had thought that Coastal Radio research had faded away. Anyway, I'll help as much as I can.
Update - I still have the CR Nimbus paired with an Eddystone 730/4. Still have the 80m Doublet fed via a Johnson Viking Matchbox. But very rarely venture onto the airwaves. Can only work 80m AM, and these days, as many will know - the band is awash with eastern European traffic, multiple yapping by SSB folk, and prone to interference from an electric fencer belonging to some heffing horsey folk about 1/4 mile away. Mind you, VMARS do have an 80m AM net, as does the ARS up in Wick. I must make the effort.
Talking of Wick - I gave my CR Curlew Rig to a keen member of the Caithness ARS, and he's been working it successfully for some time.
'Fraid I've nothing on the CR 91/MX, but if copies of the info I have on the Nimbus & Curlew Rigs is maybe of some use, you're very welcome. Will look it out. I've forgotten if this Forum has a PM facility or how I can send my email details, so that I can send attachments. Please remind me. I've also spare 807's(if the 91/MX uses them) & heaps of other valves.
My original Sailor 76D/66TS rig went to a Geordie chap in exchange for a rare AM Type11 1941 'Scope(Used to calibrate the new Radar AA Predictors after the B o B). The Woodsons Spey Tx also went up to Wick - to be morphed into a Linear Amp.
Recent vintage activity - restoring 3 Victorian/Edwardian Elecrtro-Therapy (Induction Coil - electric shock machines) apparatus. Just think - minute versions of later Marconi's Ship's spark-gap Tx's . Wonder if my Johnson Viking could match one of them to my antenna, eh ?

Regards, David

·
Registered
154 Posts
My sincere apologies to Roger & Tim for not replying sooner. Helluva jump from 2011, had thought that Coastal Radio research had faded away. Anyway, I'll help as much as I can.
Update - I still have the CR Nimbus paired with an Eddystone 730/4. Still have the 80m Doublet fed via a Johnson Viking Matchbox. But very rarely venture onto the airwaves. Can only work 80m AM, and these days, as many will know - the band is awash with eastern European traffic, multiple yapping by SSB folk, and prone to interference from an electric fencer belonging to some heffing horsey folk about 1/4 mile away. Mind you, VMARS do have an 80m AM net, as does the ARS up in Wick. I must make the effort.
Talking of Wick - I gave my CR Curlew Rig to a keen member of the Caithness ARS, and he's been working it successfully for some time.
'Fraid I've nothing on the CR 91/MX, but if copies of the info I have on the Nimbus & Curlew Rigs is maybe of some use, you're very welcome. Will look it out. I've forgotten if this Forum has a PM facility or how I can send my email details, so that I can send attachments. Please remind me. I've also spare 807's(if the 91/MX uses them) & heaps of other valves.
My original Sailor 76D/66TS rig went to a Geordie chap in exchange for a rare AM Type11 1941 'Scope(Used to calibrate the new Radar AA Predictors after the B o B). The Woodsons Spey Tx also went up to Wick - to be morphed into a Linear Amp.
Recent vintage activity - restoring 3 Victorian/Edwardian Elecrtro-Therapy (Induction Coil - electric shock machines) apparatus. Just think - minute versions of later Marconi's Ship's spark-gap Tx's . Wonder if my Johnson Viking could match one of them to my antenna, eh ?

Regards, David
Hi David,

Good to hear from you and I still live in hope of finding the 91/MX info. One thing I did find out was that CR made an identical-looking set but called it the 106/SeaLink. I have had the 91/MX running after changing most of the caps and resistors and had it running into a dummy load on Top Band, using a slightly-modded Heathkit HP-23 PSU.

Recently I was watching a episode of "The Repair Shop" when they showed a brief film clip of Donald Campbell's "Bluebird", one of several Pathe News clips on YouTube. I noticed one of the support boats had a Coastal Radio "Conger" R/T fitted, a odd-looking beast with a front panel-mounted microphone and two grab handles for rough weather operation. The channels were marked in wavelength but that was common practice around the 50s I think.

All the best,

Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hi David,

Good to hear from you and I still live in hope of finding the 91/MX info. One thing I did find out was that CR made an identical-looking set but called it the 106/SeaLink. I have had the 91/MX running after changing most of the caps and resistors and had it running into a dummy load on Top Band, using a slightly-modded Heathkit HP-23 PSU.

Recently I was watching a episode of "The Repair Shop" when they showed a brief film clip of Donald Campbell's "Bluebird", one of several Pathe News clips on YouTube. I noticed one of the support boats had a Coastal Radio "Conger" R/T fitted, a odd-looking beast with a front panel-mounted microphone and two grab handles for rough weather operation. The channels were marked in wavelength but that was common practice around the 50s I think.

All the best,

Roger
Hello again Roger, - - "The Repair Shop" - 'fraid I'm one Sailor 1000's Enclosure (a).JPG Sailor 1000's Enclosure (b).JPG Sailor 1000's Enclosure (b).JPG of the "what a load of simpering twaddle" brigade. Some of the experts are seemingly highly experienced & qualified, but the drippy drooly tear jerking format is far "over the top". As is the "its not a real workshop" pretence - it's a thatched roofed mock-up of a 16th century roundhouse, normally without heating or any lighting or power for power tools & machinery ! As for the "radio expert" - a complete plonker.
Right enough, like many Marconi Marine equipment, CR needed a Rotary PSU for HT etc., + the Ship's/Boats 24V DC supply. I'll try & attach a couple of pictures of my Sailor 1000 series set-up, plus the two 12V tractor Batteries - - my "Boat's(Workshop) supply if all else fails. All I have now is the Battery Charging Unit - N1404, the N1400 HT PSU, & the R1117 Rx, which I use. The Tx went to a chap who wanted to build a super linear amp, and the Synthesiser Unit was given to another 1000series owner who used it to repair my Rx & his.

Regards, David

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hello again Roger, - - "The Repair Shop" - 'fraid I'm one View attachment 686575 View attachment 686576 View attachment 686576 of the "what a load of simpering twaddle" brigade. Some of the experts are seemingly highly experienced & qualified, but the drippy drooly tear jerking format is far "over the top". As is the "its not a real workshop" pretence - it's a thatched roofed mock-up of a 16th century roundhouse, normally without heating or any lighting or power for power tools & machinery ! As for the "radio expert" - a complete plonker.
Right enough, like many Marconi Marine equipment, CR needed a Rotary PSU for HT etc., + the Ship's/Boats 24V DC supply. I'll try & attach a couple of pictures of my Sailor 1000 series set-up, plus the two 12V tractor Batteries - - my "Boat's(Workshop) supply if all else fails. All I have now is the Battery Charging Unit - N1404, the N1400 HT PSU, & the R1117 Rx, which I use. The Tx went to a chap who wanted to build a super linear amp, and the Synthesiser Unit was given to another 1000series owner who used it to repair my Rx & his.

Regards, David
Hi David,

Sailor kit looks good!

Roger

21 - 35 of 35 Posts