Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Jeff Egan said:
I give in, exsailor is right, could I ask how you were so quick?
Jeff, Sorry to spoil your fun - used serious logic. Wrote alphabet across a sheet of paper. In first word, 2nd and 5th letters the same, so unless a very forieign name this reduces the possibilities - unlikely to be a,b,c,d, etc. Took remaining possibilities, and by chance used the thought the first name would indicate a fleet. Came up with two possibilities - Stolt and Union. As your flag is UK, then picked Stolt as the bigger possibility, so wrote s,t,o,l under the corresponding letters on my paper. Then cracked how they related to my 'true letters', which gave magnolia as the second word. Checked the net to see if there was such a ship (I'd never heard of it), and hey presto.
Cheers, Dennis (*))

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Well done Dennis - move to the top of the class! (Applause)

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
exsailor said:
Jeff, Sorry to spoil your fun - used serious logic. Wrote alphabet across a sheet of paper. In first word, 2nd and 5th letters the same, so unless a very forieign name this reduces the possibilities - unlikely to be a,b,c,d, etc. Took remaining possibilities, and by chance used the thought the first name would indicate a fleet. Came up with two possibilities - Stolt and Union. As your flag is UK, then picked Stolt as the bigger possibility, so wrote s,t,o,l under the corresponding letters on my paper. Then cracked how they related to my 'true letters', which gave magnolia as the second word. Checked the net to see if there was such a ship (I'd never heard of it), and hey presto.
Cheers, Dennis (*))
Ahoy Dennis,
Well done,(Thumb) you could find her here as well posted by Glenn aka kelgels:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/18739/password/0/sort/1/cat/all/page/1

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Well done Dennis,

Thats how I did it as well (Applause) (Thumb)
Rgds

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
exsailor said:
Cheers, Dennis (*))
I knew that!

Wasn't "Stolt Magnolia" a movie starring Sally Field and Julia Roberts?

John T.

·
Super Moderator
6,624 Posts
I knew he was a spy. I lodged at Bletchely Park for awhile whilst with one of the other Government radio services!!

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mmmmmm, Well done exsailor I thought it would last a little longer than it did, but just goes to show what a resourceful bunch there is out there.
Jeff crawls back under his stone beaten once more.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Well I'm no spy...read the answer and how you did it..call me daft but still haven't a clue....No good at cross words either (Night)

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jim
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
BDFHJLNPRTVXZACEGIKMOQSUWY

A becomes the next letter B
B becomes the letter two removed D
C becomes the letter three removed F
and so on till the thirteenth number M becomes the letter thirteen removed Z
Then do the same in reverse starting at Z
Z becomes the number before it Y
Y becomes the number two before it W
Hope this explains it.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did think of having a ship with just one obscure name but felt it would make it too difficult but still I think it was brilliant to get it as quick as exsailor did.

·
Registered
532 Posts
'Scuse me Jeff, but erm....lemee see.........."Left hand down a bit, steady as she goes"?

Left hand? Left hand down?
Er..........You American?
No offence mate, but shouldn't it be "Port easy........Midships!...............Steady!......Steady as you go"?
Or were you a truck driver? (*))

No...wait a minnit..............Am I missing something here? The lads always did say I was a bit slow on the uptake.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
No...wait a minnit..............Am I missing something here? The lads always did say I was a bit slow on the uptake.[/QUOTE]

Back in the 60s there was a BBC radio programme called the Navy Lark. Leslie Philips had that as sort of catch phrase. Standard response was "Left hand down a bit it is Sir"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts