Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read J. Clarkson is spouting off at people of a certain age for voting for Brexit, that includes me in that age bracket.
He is concerned about the jobs that will be lost in the car industry he says due to Brexit.
This is the gentleman who when Vauxhall produced one of there less welcomed models shouted from the rooftops how Vauxhall was rubbish and created redundancy in Luton.
Just goes to show if you live long enough you begin to understand what a bag of wind looks like.
Davie

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
I stopped watching Clarkson when he fell in love with himself, I wish that he would disappear up his own anus............

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Perhaps there is some misconception that Jaguar is a British company, whereas in fact it is part of a large Indian conglomerate that operates in many countries. Like all such international organisations, it establishes (and closes) facilities as best meets the commercial requirements of the day.

The British Press seem to 'adopt' foreign-owned activities to suit their mood and claim them as British - Jaguar is only one, many of the car manufacturers such as Rolls Royce, Bentley and Mini fall into that category. In the shipping world there is a similar attitude to Cunard.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
We're all well aware of that Ron however they are British marques with brand value based on being British.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clarkson is a comedian and should not stray from amusing children.

Here's one reason why car jobs are being lost... I don't know whether its an advertisement FOR Brexit or a demonstration of how we can steal other countries industry from within the EU.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...ovakia-free-entice-jaguar-land-rover-uk-110m/
Stealing a countries industry is a classic example of how the EU operates. It (EU) not only centralises power,but sucks towards it the major manufacting businesses of the member countries thus creating
a depedancy on its EU leaders. The resulting outcome is to make certain countries weaker and pass the business to those who the EU decide are in need. This is done without any public involvement as is quoted in the original EU plan.
Davie

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Stealing a countries industry is a classic example of how the EU operates. It (EU) not only centralises power,but sucks towards it the major manufacting businesses of the member countries thus creating
a depedancy on its EU leaders. The resulting outcome is to make certain countries weaker and pass the business to those who the EU decide are in need. This is done without any public involvement as is quoted in the original EU plan.
Davie
UK businesses seem to have no problem moving our own industries abroad; usually to the far east!
As for 'incentives'..in 2016 Dyson was quietly given government money to develop an electric car.

As the FT said, "The British company’s work on the car was confirmed in a government do***ent revealing public funding for “Dyson to develop a new battery electric vehicle at their headquarters in Malmesbury, Wiltshire”. The do***ent, buried within the National Infrastructure Delivery Plan, said: “This will secure £174m of investment in the area, creating over 500 jobs, mostly in engineering.”

If Dyson's history is anything to go on manufacturing will be in Malaysia and Singapore...

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UK businesses seem to have no problem moving our own industries abroad; usually to the far east!
As for 'incentives'..in 2016 Dyson was quietly given government money to develop an electric car.

As the FT said, "The British company’s work on the car was confirmed in a government do***ent revealing public funding for “Dyson to develop a new battery electric vehicle at their headquarters in Malmesbury, Wiltshire”. The do***ent, buried within the National Infrastructure Delivery Plan, said: “This will secure £174m of investment in the area, creating over 500 jobs, mostly in engineering.”

If Dyson's history is anything to go on manufacturing will be in Malaysia and Singapore...
A British business making a decision, not being made by the EU I have no problem with.
Davie

·
Registered
895 Posts
So that leaves only Morgan as a British owned car manufacturer?.
Davie
Then there's Aston Martin/ Ariel Atom (Somerset)/ Atalanta/ Axon (Northampton)/ Arash New Market/BAC (Speke)/Bristol (Surrey)/Brooke (Devon)/Bowler (Belpor)/Caparo/ Caterham (Surrey)/Climax/David Brown (Silverstone)/JBA Sports (Norwich)/Lister (Cambridge)/McClaren (Woking)/Martin (Devon)/Renart (Peterborough)/Westfield (Dudley)/Ultima (Hinckley), the foregoing are British built and owned. There are others about 30 plus all working in 2018.

Then there are the mainstream marques, (including Japanese) built in Britain, then there are the automotive parts manufacturers, British owned supplying foreign manufacturers.

I just know that somebody is going to find a down side to the foregoing, but where there's life there's hope

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
It is so very heartening to hear the list given above. The country has always had small marque car makers, a tribute to the invention of people with an idea.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like the previous post I agree it’s a piece of good news, had forgotten about many of them.
Davie

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Then there's Aston Martin/ Ariel Atom (Somerset)/ Atalanta/ Axon (Northampton)/ Arash New Market/BAC (Speke)/Bristol (Surrey)/Brooke (Devon)/Bowler (Belpor)/Caparo/ Caterham (Surrey)/Climax/David Brown (Silverstone)/JBA Sports (Norwich)/Lister (Cambridge)/McClaren (Woking)/Martin (Devon)/Renart (Peterborough)/Westfield (Dudley)/Ultima (Hinckley), the foregoing are British built and owned. There are others about 30 plus all working in 2018.

Then there are the mainstream marques, (including Japanese) built in Britain, then there are the automotive parts manufacturers, British owned supplying foreign manufacturers.

I just know that somebody is going to find a down side to the foregoing, but where there's life there's hope
Good list and you see them on the streets in their millions every day! The expression "straws and clutching" immediately springs to mind.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

A lot of the smaller companies you list will be British owned but McLaren (Bahrain royal family) and Aston Martin (Kuwait investment funds) aren't.

I don't have too much of a problem with car companies being owned overseas but if they are going to play the British heritage card then would want them to be built here. Ford and Vauxhall were always considered British even though American owned for about a century (Ford always was, of course).

There is a bigger issue with our utilities and public transport being privatised and then foreign owned. In some cases by the nationalised companies from the country concerned. Funny how they can make a profit when we are told that ours had to be privatised due to constant loss!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Good list and you see them on the streets in their millions every day! The expression "straws and clutching" immediately springs to mind.
There you go, proved my point about detrimental remarks.

I was merely answering a remark about Morgan being the only British car manufacturer, nothing more, nothing less. But like other detractors you were so anxious to get your point across about another subject and you're ideals you rushed into print without digesting what was written. Ah! well! that's your perogative:rolleyes:

No good clutching at straws, apparently they're becoming illegal (Smoke)

·
Registered
895 Posts
I don't have too much of a problem with car companies being owned overseas but if they are going to play the British heritage card then would want them to be built here. Ford and Vauxhall were always considered British even though American owned for about a century (Ford always was, of course).

!
Alas we don't live in an idyllic world, some BMW, Mercedes, Subaru and others are built in the USA, some VW are built in Brazil, Renault are built in Romania, UK supplies engines for Fords built in Spain, China owns the Black Cab factory in the UK but they are still built in the UK, the same company owns Volvo , but the Swedes consider their Volvos Swedish: some Peugeot, Honda, Nissan are built in the UK, the factories are in the UK, there are numerous other examples, that's the way of international business in a modern world

·
Registered
895 Posts
Nary a mention of Cosworth or Triumph Motorcycles. We do have (international) clutch slip.
As the lawyers would say

'Dear Sir, I would respectfully draw your attention to post #12 , line 3, last sentence'

Didn't think anyone would want me to list them all, would only be more ammunition for the detractors anyway, as they never see any good in anything if it doesn't suit their narrow view (Whaaa)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts