Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just been reading the notes on Lecturers and thought a thread of Radio Colleges might be interesting.
I went to Wray Castle from January 1961 thru June 1962 and left as soon as I obtained my 2nd Class PMG.
I have also just spent a fascinating hour or so looking through the gallery of ships photographs and found pictures of all my past UK and Maerskline ships.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hello John - I was in the near-last intake at Wireless College, Colwyn Bay 1969 and ended up being sent to Riversdale in Liverpool to finish my MRGC when the college closed. Qualified in March 1971. Joined IMRC to start with then leftt and went directly employed with Radio & Electronic Services (Cunard-Brocklebank) in 1973. Back to Riversdale in 1973 to do radar certificate. Lots of old colleagues around the site and many names that come up with links to the past!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I went to West Norwood, South London, 1967 to 1969, and came away with a 2nd Class PMG and BOT Radar certificate. We learnt to type alongside the girls on the secretarial courses. We were all encouraged to swap to shore side courses, C&G/HNC etc., because they said there was no future for R/O's. I joined BP.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I went to Princes Road Liverpool 1949, 2nd Class then Brookes Bar Manchester 1954, ist class, and thats it. Mainly GTZB

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I went to St. Mary's College Southampton and later transferred to the new East Park Terrace College. Took PMG & Radar there, did my electronics later at Bristol.

Mike

·
Registered
538 Posts
Like Taipan took my certificate at liverpool in 1943 but that was Special Cert issued during the war 2nd class cert was taken after the war at Manchester.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
Another Brook's Bar, Manchester product - PMG 2nd class, 1958/59. Then did 1st Class and radar at South Shields 1964 and Marine Electronics at Plymouth 1966.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I attended the school of Marine Radio and Radar, Limerick from 1972 to 74 and obtained MRGC. Went back a few years later for Radar ticket.
Pat.

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
I attended the school of Marine Radio and Radar, Limerick from 1972 to 74 and obtained MRGC. Went back a few years later for Radar ticket.
Pat.
There was a young man called Patrick
Who received his ticket at Limerick
With his MRGC
He went off to sea
And the Reeperbahn girls made him sick!

Sorry Pat, couldn't resist it - the last line was going to be "And sent all his messages through Wick", but there's supposed to be some smut in there.

Welcome to SN.

John T.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
25 John Dalton Street - Manchester for my 2nd and 1st PMGs - 1950 and 1952 and James Watt, Greenock for my Radar Ticket issued in March 1957.
Anyone remember the Sawyers Arms on Deansgate? Our nearest pub. Cheers, Roger

·
Super Moderator
6,624 Posts
I was at NESWT - North Eastern School of Wireless Telegraphy, Bridlington.
Obtained my 1st PMG in Oct 64. Sea time with Marconi, NJ Goulandris and Blue Funnel. Also spent sometime with a Government department. Finally 28 years at GKA.

Hawkey01

·
Registered
250 Posts
Brunel Technical College, Bristol 1976-1979 for MRGC and DoT Radar (plus numerous CGLI certs). Taught morse and comms procedures by (amongst others) the legendary Lofty Allen. Followed with 20+ years at GKA.

Good times.

Larry +

·
Registered
879 Posts
British School of Telegraphy Earls Court (renamed London Electronics College) from Sept 1969 to June 1971.

Steve. (Thumb)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Took my 2nd class PMG at Southampton when it was at the University, 1st class PMG at Southampton, St Marys and Radar at East Park Terrace.

·
Registered
99 Posts
MRGC at Fleetwood Nautical College 1971 to 1974, on leaving joined BP where I stayed for 12 years.
Went back to Fleetwood for Radar late 1976/early 1977.
Then to Plymouth Poly for MEC 1977/78.

·
Registered
186 Posts
There was a young man called Patrick
Who received his ticket at Limerick
With his MRGC
He went off to sea
And the Reeperbahn girls made him sick!

Sorry Pat, couldn't resist it - the last line was going to be "And sent all his messages through Wick", but there's supposed to be some smut in there.

Welcome to SN.

John T.
Nice one John T.(Thumb)

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Riversdale 1962-63. I looked on Google Street Scene recently - it is now a housing estate. Not even much left of Otterspool Prom either. I couldn't find the Aigburth Arms (was that what it was called ??) just down towards Garston from Riversdale Road .

David
+

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Amazing!
So many replies.
I was in the RN as a boy telegraphist from 1958 to 1960. Around August '60 I was interviewed and accepted to attend Norewood, London to commence the very next day. However, I was eventually interviewed for Manchester, Brooks Bar, also accepted and as I was only 17 it was thought I would be better off at the sister college at Wray Castle, to which I went.
Tommy Tomlinson was the head, ex Royal Mail Chief R/O, hence the name of RMS Wray Castle. David Dykes, Jeff Lee, Tony (Tas) Smith to mention a couple of lecturers then. Gordon Cope ex Wray also returned to teach. After my time in the RN I did some morse teaching.
I was just 19 when I left, loved the place, the Lakes and all its attractions, or maybe I should say distractions.
The nearest pub was the Drunken Duck. I returned in 1965 to start a radar ticket but further distractions took the best of me and I left again in the august, back to Maerskline. Bit like joining the French Foreign Legion, where one could get lost.
Best time of my life with Maerskline.
I eventually ended up on the Aussie coast from 1969 until redundancy in 1991.

1 - 20 of 238 Posts