Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Great painting, you can just about hear the scream of the shells as they pass overhead !

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sorry if this is a stupid question but not being a naval person I need a little help.
I am researching two vessels named HMS Eastbourne. The first a minesweeper, J.127 1941, and the second, a frigate, F.73 1955. I have details from www.naval-history.net.
The question is: Are the ships named at launch or at the Commissioning ceremony?
In fact, any information about the ships would help.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but not being a naval person I need a little help.
I am researching two vessels named HMS Eastbourne. The first a minesweeper, J.127 1941, and the second, a frigate, F.73 1955. I have details from www.naval-history.net.
The question is: Are the ships named at launch or at the Commissioning ceremony?
Interesting that you’re researching HMS Eastbourne. I spent 14 weeks aboard her in 1975.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The OP is talking about naval vessels. Not the same as a merchant ships.

A naval vessel would have a launching ceremony with bottle etc. The ship would then be outfitted and then would go on acceptance trials and the ship would then be handed over to the 'owner' as in Ministry of Defense. When the ship is completed the captain & crew are put on board and there is a ceremony of commissioning and the ship is put onto the 'active' list. The ship might be for a period under commission, a year or two. If the ship is put under refit, not like a short drydocking, the ship will be taken out of commission. Following refit, the ship ship will have another ceremony of commissioning.

The Queen Elizabeth operated under Aircraft Carrier Alliance flag between launch and commissioning (I think)

I think this might be the ACA flag.

QUEEN ELIZABETH | In Invergordon today | Doffcocker | Flickr

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
The Queen Elizabeth operated under Aircraft Carrier Alliance flag between launch and commissioning (I think)

I think this might be the ACA flag.

QUEEN ELIZABETH | In Invergordon today | Doffcocker | Flickr

Here it is.. fouled anchor horizontal on blue ground.
"Government Service Ensign"
Can we assume that 'ACA' is the only 'alliance' to use this flag or does it have other purposes... as in 'Government Service Ensign'? Recent flag?

Stephen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Interesting that you’re researching HMS Eastbourne. I spent 14 weeks aboard her in 1975.
Yes researching all ships that carry the name Eastbourne. I would be grateful if you can help me with any information about your time onboard. Captains name, ports that you visited etc. You can email me also at [email protected]

·
Registered
18,807 Posts
What will be used if Australia become a republic? A.N.S. - Australia Navy Ship or Australian Naval Ship?
The way things are going these days it will be "LGBTQS".

Ref the Australian red ensign, shame to see it being waved about by so many protesters of various types in their rentacrowd protests.

John T

21 - 30 of 30 Posts