Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Welcome aboard, Jeff. Enjoy the site and what we have to offer. We've had a lot of success in re-uniting old shipmates.
Please take the time to read the thread "Guidelines To Posting" in either the Members Notice Board or Say Hello forums. Should help with any questions you may have regarding posting to the Site.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tyne Pilots

Also a Tyne Pilot from 1975 to 2001 if anyone has any questions on Tyne Pilots I will try to answer them

·
Registered
842 Posts
Jeff Egan said:
Also a Tyne Pilot from 1975 to 2001 if anyone has any questions on Tyne Pilots I will try to answer them
Hi Jeff, Firstly welcome to SN, I am sure you will enjoy.

I joined my first ship in January 1958 at Middlesborough and my fellow apprentice on that deep sea trip was from that fair town and was destined to become a Tyne Tees Pilot, I have never heard whether he made it but his name was J. Innes. We only sailed together on that one trip and I did not come across him again throughout my career.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry but there's no such thing as a Tyne Tees Pilot but I'm almost sure there is or was a Tees pilot Called Innes

·
Registered
869 Posts
Jeff Egan said:
Sorry but there's no such thing as a Tyne Tees Pilot but I'm almost sure there is or was a Tees pilot Called Innes
Alistair or "Ally" Innes was indeed a Tees Pilot. He was the last Pilot to go through the Pilots
Apprenticeship which involved serving as apprentice
on the Pilot Cutters then a year or so as apprentice at sea (In Ally's case
with Brocklebank Line). After obtaining a Second Mates Ticket he then waited
until there was a vacancy on the Pilot Service.

From then onwards all new Pilot trainees held Masters Tickets.

My memory does not recall the actual dates but ,sadly ,Ally suffered
from blackouts (fortunately not on a ladder) so had to retire early
and died not very much later. I would guess he would be in his late forties
or early fifties.

Sorry my first posting is on such a sad note.

Tony Crompton

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Hi Jeff

Greetings from an ex 'Smoggie', as I hear us Middlesburgers are known these days.

I sailed on Common Bros' "Iron Crown" in about '69. I recall the 2nd Mate, who's name escapes me, was the son of a Sunderland pilot and was heading in that direction himself.

John T.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did You come across Alan purvis he was a Tyne pilot apprentice who,s first voyage at sea was on the Iron Crown

·
Registered
869 Posts
The system ended on the Tees in the mid 60's. I was one of the
first new Pilots with a Masters Ticket and got my licence in 1967.

We were treated worse than First Trip Apprentices by the old Pilots !!!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Tony Crompton,
So sad to hear of your news regarding Alistair Innes, I have passed on your sad news to the then Chief officer on that voyage, when Alistair and I were on ss Mathura (1920 version) in 1958 as Apprentices, we had a long telephone conversation remembering the scrapes Alistair and I got into, including a midnight trip round Addu Attol, Gan Island, in the motor lifeboat with a boat load of very merry officers ! Guess who was running the liberty boat !

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Caribbean Endeavour

Hi Jeff,
I was a catering boy on Caribbean Endeavour in september 1971. Joined her at Parkstone Quay and went denmark and germany and back to uk. We were in Hamburg to have some repairs. Only people i remember were Dave Haskett, the other catering boy and 2nd steward Collingwood, first name?.I have a couple of photos of her as Carib Trader taken in the 80's. When were you on her ? Is she still afloat?

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I Joined the Caribbean Endeavour in Hamburg 18th May 1973 and paid off in Miami on 7th November 1973. I was 2nd mate we had a West Indian crew by that time. No idea what happened to her.
Regards Jeff

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
"Caribbean Endeavour" was renamed "Baby 1" in 2000 and sold that year to Indian breakers. She went through several names between her first and last. I served my time with Common Brothers between 1963-67. Did you ever come across Eland Dunn, Mike Cobb, Eric Judge or Wilfie Box, all deck officers, or 'Tab' Miles, C/E?

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Jeff Egan said:
Did You come across Alan purvis he was a Tyne pilot apprentice who,s first voyage at sea was on the Iron Crown
Sorry Jeff, don't recall the name. I only did a few months on her in 1970. Looked at my Discharge Book and Captain's signature looks like W. Woodman. I mentioned him before on the site - he was on the first ship to be sunk by 'Graf Spee' and was a prisoner on her and on 'Altmark'

One memory from the ship is heading south to Brazil and passing the 'Great Britain' being towed north to UK from the Falklands. About a month later we overtook her again as we too were heading north. About the only time an 11 knot ore carrier overtook anything except another ore carrier!

John T.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sailed with Wilfie Box on the Border Fusilier in 1968 he was the old man his wife and twins were on the ship. I was only there for a month as extra third mate while the ship was on the coast, I paid off at the Isle of Grain on the 17th December and joined the Border Lass 0n the 18th December in Rotterdam her third mate was taken off sick.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alan Purvis joined the Iron Crown at the Iron Ore Berth Tyne Dock in August 1968 and was in her till Summer 1969, he was a month ahead of me when we served our time as Pilot apprentices and we both joined Common Brothers.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts