Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
Did anyone sail with comon brothers shipping company, does anyone have a list of thier ships, anyone know the history of the company, i would be pleased to hear from anyone, also searching for a picture of the small bulk carrier Ria Jean Mcmurtry, can anyone help, would love to hear anything about the company Kind regards Geordie

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
From your handle I presume your from the NE. If so its well worh a visit to South Shields Library as they have quite alot on the Tyne Companies.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gdynia thanks for the reply, yes im from Newcastle, sailed with scottish ship management a couple of times, loved it, they have a website and its great, unable to find anything about comon bros on the net, sailed on the Ria jean Mcmurtry in 74 and i know the office was in Newcastle, but that about all i know.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Commons head office was in Exchange Buildings, Quayside, Newcastle. The building is still there and I'm sure it is signed Exchange Buildings still, just walk along the quayside starting at the Tyne Bridge and you will see it, if you get to the Court building you have come too far.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeff Egan said:
Commons head office was in Exchange Buildings, Quayside, Newcastle. The building is still there and I'm sure it is signed Exchange Buildings still, just walk along the quayside starting at the Tyne Bridge and you will see it, if you get to the Court building you have come too far.
Thanks Jeff, all the best

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Hi Geordie,
Why not pop into the maritime museum just behind the courts, I am sure they will give you all the info you need, it,s on the quayside, cheers bill (North Shields)

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
wa002f0328 said:
Hi Geordie,
Why not pop into the maritime museum just behind the courts, I am sure they will give you all the info you need, it,s on the quayside, cheers bill (North Shields)
Bill
Change of orders got sent out to the Red Sea instead of South Korea. Now offshore Ras Shekheir

·
Registered
5 Posts
I Sailed On A Tanker S.s Border Minstrel That I Think Was A Commons Bro. Ship.her Sister Ship Was The Border Reiver And Both Were About 113oo Tons G.r.t. This Was In 1955/56, She Was On Time Charter To B.t.c.with Their Colours But In A Tartan Configuration. I Done Two Trips On Her And She Was One Of The Best Ships Iever Sailed On. Her Crew Was Lasker But The Officers Were All Scotts Except Me And The O.m,...sparks.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Common Bros

Hi Jack,
I was on the Border Minstrel for the most of 1957, Joined her in Hamburg in the early spring and paid off at the TOB prior to her discharge
at Finnart in December.
Indeed a good ship and we had a variety of good discharge ports.
Will post a photograph of her in the Tanker Gallery.

Archie.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello Everyone.

Nice to hear someone talking about Common Brothers. I started as Deck Cadet in 1970 and Border Reiver was my first ship. Joined her in Oita and after leaving Japan one of the big end bolts sheared on the old Doxford. The engineers made a temporary repair in the South China Sea and we made it back to the Uk ( 4 months later) on 5 legs, via a few ports on the way.

Commons Brothers moved from Exchange Buildings some time in the 70's to a place called Bamburgh House which I think was on Market Street?

I stayed with them for 7 and a half years and had a great time serving with all kinds of really good blokes.

The ships I sailed on were...Border Reiver, Fina Britannia, Kazimah, Simonburn, Border Shepherd, Nimos (the one everyone wanted to get on...Aussi Coast), Joseph.R.Smallwood (which then became the 'Afghanistan')
Afghanistan and finally Sirine.

I have some old 'Common Crier' house magazines with a long list of ships that were managed, along with the crews along with some intersting articles.

I have to say those days with Commons were hard to beat. Are there any old shipmates out there?

All the best

Steve Mills

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hindustan Steam Ship Co. Ltd. Formed in 1893 by J.W. Squance & Co. who changed their name to Common Brothers Ltd. in 1906 following the retirement of Captain Squance. The company faded out of sight in Lloyds in the late 1980s after it was acquired by Norex Corporation before resuming briefly in the late 1990's.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Border Terrier

I sailed as Second R/O on the Border Terrier in 1962.
She was my first ship and I quite liked her.
Nice food and the ship was always very clean and tidy.

P.S. The attached pic is of the Border Reiver. I believe the Terrier was of the same class.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Wainui said:

P.S. The attached pic is of the Border Reiver. I believe the Terrier was of the same class.
Ahoy Wainui,
Here you are, the Terrier;

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Border Terrier

Thanks Ruud,

I do have a pic of the Terrier now, couldn't find it at the time I posted the last message. Very clean ships arn't they ?

Cheers.

Wainui.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wainui said:

My Father sailed on various Common Brothers ships from 1962 to about 1975. His name was Alan Robinson and he was a cheif engineer. I am at present doing my family history and would be interested if anyone knew him and had any photographs, as my mother lost ours when she moved house.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Liz,

The name rings a bell and I can picture a face but I think he may have been second engineer when I met him.( sometime between 1970 and 1975... it may have been on the Simonburn)

I have no photo's but I will look in some House magazines for his name on any of the ships in there.

Regards
Steve Mills

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Dad Robert Thompson, was with Commons for a good while, I did a couple of trips with him when I was 3 -4 yrs old w ith brother and sisters on the Border Laird and Border Hunter. My earliest memories are of the Gillie Gillie man in Suez and the lights of Hamburg. Sad but true:( My Dad became a Super in '59 and we moved to the NE from L'pool

1 - 20 of 226 Posts