181 - 200 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
well hello.

Hi Mike.
Keith Humphreys here,remember you well and some of the laughs we
had,and some of your music we listened to Jethro Tull springs to mind
and drinking Harvy Wallbangers in Harry's Bar in St Croix,good times and lots of good memories,write soon.
Regards
Keith.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I'm looking for anyone who might have sailed with my dad, Ken Madden, an electrician from 1962-1977. He sailed on Fina Britannia, SS Warbah, ST Al Funtas, MV Border Castle, MV Border Shepherd, MV Border Pele, MV Hope Peak and several others. I have posted a copy of my dad's notebook which has the names of the crew he sailed with: http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=116202
If anyone has any information, I'm be really interested in finding out more.
Thanks
Graeme

·
Registered
1 Posts
common brothers

I sailed with Common bros in the seventies, The Ria Jean Mcmurtry, Carribean Progress and a tanker whose name escapes me laid up in the Norwegian Ffiords. I was a lecky.
When I contacted MNOPF regarding my pension they said they had no record of me and that Common Brothers were never a contributing member. Is this correct?

Thanks

Miles

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I was with Common Bros most of my time at sea and have a m nope pension from them.
The tanker laid up in Norway was Woodburn I was on her for the sale.

·
Registered
4 Posts
a Merry Christmas to all ex common people.
My name is mel allen and I was with CB for quite a while,
from April 1964 till Sept 1985 (no cufflinks!)
When I got home from my last Commons ship "Bo Bengtsson", scrapped in Taiwan, Commons office had closed and moved to London.
I eventually retired from the sea in 1998 but never found a better company than Common Brothers.
regards to all
mel

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
When I got home from my last Commons ship "Bo Bengtsson", scrapped in Taiwan, Commons office had closed and moved to London.
I eventually retired from the sea in 1998 but never found a better company than Common Brothers.
regards to all
mel
Fully agree with you. I was with Commons from 62 to 79 when they put me out to silver line,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Best Wishes

Hi Mel Allen
Jim Humes Ex cadet training Officer with common Brothers. Redundant June 1981 do you remember me. Best wishes to you and all ex Common Brothers staff wherever you are in the world Hope it's a good one for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Mel Allen
Jim Humes Ex cadet training Officer with common Brothers. Redundant June 1981 do you remember me. Best wishes to you and all ex Common Brothers staff wherever you are in the world Hope it's a good one for you.
Hi Jim, remember you well, hope your keeping okay
Was sorry to read the news about BRUCE, another really good CB
friend and shoremate.
Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just came across this site. You may remember my Dad; Foster Davison who worked for Common's for many years. He is now 89 and he and my Mother are still going strong! I remember visiting many of the ships when they were in the Tyne and I also did a couple of trips on the Danny F.

·
Registered
27 Posts
late again

regards to all
mel
Hi Mel.
Belated Christmas Greetings sorry for not responding sooner,i'm not at all certain if we sailed together,I spent most of my time on the product carriers. Bill Duffy was the last C/E I sailed with on Straits of Canso,John Millwater was Master,that was my last trip with Common Bros,but like you they were a really good outfit,and I got on well with all the guy's I sailed with.
Regards Keith
P.S. Happy new year too you,and all ex staff.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I have just came across this site. You may remember my Dad; Foster Davison who worked for Common's for many years. He is now 89 and he and my Mother are still going strong! I remember visiting many of the ships when they were in the Tyne and I also did a couple of trips on the Danny F.
I seem to remember he was the engineer super who knew is way around the doxfords. and you could not pull the wool over his eyes.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I wasn't with Commons long early 1962 til march 1963. Lecky on Afghanistan and Iron Crown Agree they were a great company and great blokes at all ranks and levels. Slipped up after leaving, bored with ore carriers and went to Bank Line. Didn't know whether my backside was punched, bored or reamed. Have to say it appears that I was just unlucky because there are some good posts from various Bank Line guys and it was probably not a bad outfit. The biggest shock was the food and the accommodation. I was spoilt with Commons in both of those departments. But did enjoy the world wide voyages and ports. First place in any port was a restaurant before we hit the bars.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Oh come on Chris, Silver Line ("V" Ships) was a very good company too with some great shipmates
Silver line had some good things and looked after it staff. but come home on the Alvega from the Falklands to be given redundancy a day after. V ships were ok but had it up and downs but they all fed us well. but the best life was the old Borderboats away for a couple of years. we become one big family.we had all had good times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there. My dad, BRIAN TAYLOR worked as a 2nd engineer and sometimes chief engineer for Common Brothers in the 1970's/1980's.
I can remember the Afganistan, Ria Jean McMurtry, Carribean Progress and Carribean Endeavour, also one of the Border ships.
He came from Gateshead.
Please does anyone remember him, or can anyone help point me in the direction of possibly finding out a way of finding all the voyages he sailed.
Either through websites or to visit maritime libraries?
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Val.
Sorry for the delay thought I'd replied to this post but had obviously not, anyway I do remember your Dad I sailed with him on the Straits of Canso in 1975/76 not able to remember exactly dates, I think maybe if you could find someone that has past copies of the Common Crier that may be a way forward but it's a long shot given the time involved, would like to get hold of some myself but living down the west Country do not see anyone from those days moors the pity.Any way all the best with your question please let me know how you get on.
Keith.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi my Name is Mike Cobb and sailed with Common Bros from 1955 till 1972.
Apprentice up to Mate on their cargo ships and Tankers. Now retired and wish to hear from anybody that sailed or knew about the Common fleet. I see many references in 2005. So how about today?

181 - 200 of 228 Posts