Ships Nostalgia banner
201 - 220 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kurdistan

Hi
trevor brown here.
I was also on the kurdistan the night she went down.

Hi

I joined Common Bros in 1977 probably one of the last batch of Cadets to join the company. I was with them until they laid everyone off in 1981/82. Great memories and met lots of good guys and lassies in my time with Commons.

Sailed on Caribbean Endeavour, Fina Britannia, Kurdistan (on her when she broke in two off the Canadian Coast) Afgahnistan, Alakram, Danny F, Fernando F, Persia.

Any old ship mates who are out there, love to hear from you.

Iain May, Edinburgh

·
Registered
86 Posts
My late husband was a cadet with Common Bros and left for NZS late sixties. Gordon Scott, unfortunately he got mesothelioma in 2012 and died in 2013, its a horrible disease.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
My late husband was a cadet with Common Bros and left for NZS late sixties. Gordon Scott, unfortunately he got mesothelioma in 2012 and died in 2013, its a horrible disease.
I Always wounder if the pump room steam plant was covered in a white powder if this is the cause.of mesothelioma. The union has done some research into this with similar ships from BP.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I Always wounder if the pump room steam plant was covered in a white powder if this is the cause.of mesothelioma. The union has done some research into this with similar ships from BP.
My husband said when he was a cadet and in the shipyards, the air was white like snow. My brother in law died in 2010 of asbestos related disease as well and he as a plumber in the ship yards. My husband's cousin also died of mesothelioma when he was 60 he had been exposed in the Royal Navy.

Here in Australia we get compensation, and anyone who has mesothelioma gets it as the disease only comes from asbestos exposure. So people who are exposed in recent times like doing up the house etc and not really knowing where they were exposed are still compensated without having to prove anything other than the disease.

Its funny we used to talk about how we were both exposed to asbestos me when a child as I spent some years in Africa and my husband at work and we never thought it would come to our door but it has and three times for the family.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, it's about 4 years since I contacted this forum. I sailed on the Al Badiah in 1972 as 2nd Radio Officer. I had a great 6 months onboard. I was the one who played the guitar! Names that I can remember: Mike Cooper was 1st Officer, also Geoffrey Turnbull (1st Officer), John Greenwood was 3rd Officer, Brian Nelson was 3rd Eng, Ken & Steve were Electricians. Anyone out there remember any of these guys? Sean Bonner was my Chief R/O and I believe he died within the past 4 years or so. I'd love to hear from anyone who sailed on the Al Badiah between Feb '72 & Aug '72. Cheers! Brian Flynn (Dublin)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Brian, perhaps after your time.
We were with my Dad Bob Phillips on Al Badia He joined in Breast February 1973 then we joined him 16th March at the River Thames Corytown refinery. we stayed aboard until August 1973 Flying home from Dubai.
Alex Phillips

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Alex, thanks for your reply. No, I didn't know your father. As a Radio Officer, I was employed by Marconi and I moved from shipping company to shipping company. After my six months on the Al Badiah, I never joined any other Common Brothers' ships. Brian

·
Registered
4 Posts
A merry Christmas and a happy new to all ex Common Brother staff.
Its been a long long time since anyone has written on these pages so I hope i'm
not the only one left !.
regards to all
mel allen
chief engineer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Mel, although I was not Common Bros staff, I have very fond memories of my my first trip to sea as 2nd R/O on the Al Badiah. I can only remember a couple of names of lads who worked in the Engine Room. Brian Nelson, 'Nobby' Clarke and George O'Neill (?) (from Scotland), Willie McCoubrey (from NI). Mike Cooper was 1st Mate and John Greenwood was 3rd mate. It was 1972 - long time ago! Anyway, seasonal greetings to you and yours. Best regards, Brian Flynn (Dublin)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sailing with Commons

This is Chris james how are you doing.
Wasn't with Commons very long; sailing as 2nd Mate in IRON HORSE
BORDER CHIEFTAIN and WARBAH.
Very good memories of happy and contented times.
In IRON HORSE with Albert Le Blond (2/E), Highly successful entrepreneur.The late Alan Howe (3/E). He later became a Super with Buries, and then a hotelier in Devon.
Don Maidlow & Robin Bachelor (Cadets), not to forget the redoubtable Captain Duncan Taylor (T2).
Also, not forgetting the volatile Dominic Martucci, Mate, thence Master.Outdid himself with excitement on the visit of B E Common to the ship in Birkenhead. Also Purser/C.Stwd Bill Allaway.
I met up with Robin in Gibraltar when I was OM of the wine tanker BERLIN. He went there to sail as 2nd Mate on the ferry MONS CALPE of Captain's Paradise fame, and went into business selling marine equipment.
Don Maidlow contacted me via SN and visited here in Newton Stewart.
He is in Aussie ( a sort of professional "yachtie").
BORDER CHIEFTAIN with Wilfred Box (Mate). Chris James (Cadet)
Gordon Tynemouth (C/E). Ipsberg (Purser/C.Stwd)
WARBAH Duncan Roberson (Master) & Alan Winsby (Sparks), now in Islandmagee.

Also in touch with Laurie Elms (IRON HORSE Cadet -now very involved with Humber Keels preservation).
Would have liked to remain with Commons, but on leaving WARBAH to go up for Master, found I had become short-sighted and went ashore for 8 years, only to return after sight standards were relaxed, best decision I ever made, although it broke up my first marriage.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Interesting mention of Capt.Martucci,remember him well, got on very well with us port agents....

Another Commons mention, as an ex BISC(Ore)Ltd agent,Tees, and then Ship Scheduling Controller London....
Captain John George Wright, first met him as Mate but taking over from Capt.Black ( who was going to the Iron Age I think) on the Iron Ore in Middlesbrough...he was emptying his booze lockers and offered the two of us a drink...so we asked for a beer..sorry none left Whisky?..none left.....He did have gin though and filled a couple of those shaped Tennants Glasses almost to the top and added a small drip of orange!
We were on a buoy berth in the middle of the Tees and it was fortunate that I got the bus home,from the Transporter, as no way could I have driven!
From memory he used to spend much of his leave time at Cullercoats Radio Station.

The only Commons/Vallum Master I ever remember being off by was Captain Taylor on the Iron Horse...we hadn't taken enough small change for a crew pay-off.

geoff

·
Registered
137 Posts
A merry Christmas and a happy new to all ex Common Brother staff.
Its been a long long time since anyone has written on these pages so I hope i'm
not the only one left !.
regards to all
mel allen
chief engineer.
Good afternoon Mel.
Are you still into photography? I ask as I was in a friends home today, and there on their wall was a framed photograph of "Ullswater" with the photographers name, "Mel Allen". Your photograph? It looked rather good.
A merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
pleased to hear from you colin, its almost 40 years since we sailed together!!!
I was with Commons until 1985, over 20 years but didn't get my cufflinks.
I took one of the last gas carrier,s the Bo Bengtsson to the knackers
yard and when I got home the company had moved 3 days before to London and I never heard from them again.
I finished up doing 10 years with TK tankers, not too bad but some real strange people, mostly in the office
I also have a large painting of Ullswater lake by "mel allen" but not me.

I send all the best wishes to you and your family and to the other lads that have replied to my missive
Regards0
Mel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
I served my cadetship with Common Brothers from 1972 to 1976 then sailed as 3rd and 2nd mate until 1978
Started on Arabiyah then Daghestan, Langley (ex Butmah of Total oil -still the worst ship I have ever been on), Border Castle, Frank D Moores which became Kurdistan while I was on board, Vastiram two tours - almost all at anchor in Lagos! before finally leaving for B&I of Ireland.
Anyone left out there?

·
Registered
27 Posts
reply to your question

Hi Rohan.
I have left a couple of replies to you but have not had anything back so was wondering if I was doing this correctly.
I do remember sailing with you in Common Bros but can't remember which ship, it may have been the Daghestan last trip laid up in Barry waiting for new owners to arrive for hand over, but of course it could have been any of the ships I was J/Eng on the Daghestan but later became 4th.
Keith Humphreys from Cardiff.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Hi
I served my cadetship with Common Brothers from 1972 to 1976 then sailed as 3rd and 2nd mate until 1978
Started on Arabiyah then Daghestan, Langley (ex Butmah of Total oil -still the worst ship I have ever been on), Border Castle, Frank D Moores which became Kurdistan while I was on board, Vastiram two tours - almost all at anchor in Lagos! before finally leaving for B&I of Ireland.
Anyone left out there?
Hi
Was i with you on the Vastiram from builders to Rotterdam.
Chris James

·
Registered
4 Posts
Daghestan & Vastiram

Hi Keith
Sorry I did not get back to you straight away, couldn't figure this out - old age is a terrible thing. I have a feeling we were together on the Daghestan.

Chris - I think you were mate on the Vastiram when I was 2nd mate - would that sound right. We were in Bombay for about 6 weeks then a voyage to Lagos and at anchor there for about 4 months?

Rohan

201 - 220 of 228 Posts