Ships Nostalgia banner
221 - 228 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Hi Rohan
Yes that right. enjoyed our selves. went to the laid up wood burn sold her. then to the Simon burn sold her. redundant then silver line back from the Falklands redundant again went full time teaching sailing. until the money runout back to sea, made master with v ships then gibsons then feet up.
What are you doing now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Common Bros

Hi Chris
Good to hear from you again. I remember we got the opportunity to sail a GP 14 - I think it was - around Bombay harbour.
I left CB in 1979 and was 2nd and chief mate with the B&I ferry company. In 86 I took the golden handshake, there were no prospects for further advancement at the time. Unemployd for about 9 months then went to Sint Martin in the Caribbean lived with my brother on his Nicholson 32 for a while then got a job as captain on a nice dive charter boat for 6 months - lots of lovely dives around Virgin and windward islands. Sailed home with the transarc on the Nicholson then got a job as mate on the Irish sail training ship Asgard II. There for 10 years!! finished up as captain. Left in 98 and set up my own business surveying and marine consultancy while doing some summer relief work. Joined a small shipping company here in Ireland in 05 and sailed as master on Christina O - Onnasis's yacht. later did a few years as captain on the Nautilus, a small research ship. Started as pilot in Dublin port in 2010 part time and went full time in 2012. In the mean time I took up a part time position with another Irish shipping company as Marine Superintendent as well as doing the same with the other company. Let go from Dublin Port last year when I turned 65 so now superintendent full time. Just received a call an hour ago that one of the ships is adrift in the Med, ME and genys shut down! Might be away for a while.

Rohan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I have just found this site. I was wondering if anyone remembers my dad Ian Taylor? He joined Common Brothers as a cadet in 1946 and his first trip was on the Hidustan. He became Master in 1961 'Iron Crown'.

He sailed on many of the Common Brothers ships over the decades including at least four trips on the 'Nimos' at Brisbane [November 1969 - Sydney 1970], [Sydney 1970-1971] and [Sydney 1972 - Sydney 1973] and again in 1975. Other names in his Discharge book include - 'Border Fusilier, Boarder Lass, Iron Age, Laristan, Thirlby, Daghestan, Afganistan, Greenbatt, Iron Barque, Ria Jean McMurtry and Caribbean Endeavour''.

Thank you,

Jane

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I have just found this site. I was wondering if anyone remembers my dad Ian Taylor? He joined Common Brothers as a cadet in 1946 and his first trip was on the Hidustan. He became Master in 1961 'Iron Crown'.

He sailed on many of the Common Brothers ships over the decades including at least four trips on the 'Nimos' at Brisbane [November 1969 - Sydney 1970], [Sydney 1970-1971] and [Sydney 1972 - Sydney 1973] and again in 1975. Other names in his Discharge book include - 'Border Fusilier, Boarder Lass, Iron Age, Laristan, Thirlby, Daghestan, Afganistan, Greenbatt, Iron Barque, Ria Jean McMurtry and Caribbean Endeavour''.

Thank you,

Jane
Hello,

Thank you,

Jane
Hello,

Thank you,

Jane
Hello,

Thank you,

Jane
Hello,

Thank you,

Jane
I too have just found this site.
I sailed with your father on the Border Lass, maiden voyage April 1954, he was 2nd mate, I was a first trip deck apprentice. I finally swallowed the anchor September 2003.
Regards
David Hodge

221 - 228 of 228 Posts