Ships Nostalgia banner
221 - 240 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Hi Rohan
Yes that right. enjoyed our selves. went to the laid up wood burn sold her. then to the Simon burn sold her. redundant then silver line back from the Falklands redundant again went full time teaching sailing. until the money runout back to sea, made master with v ships then gibsons then feet up.
What are you doing now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Common Bros

Hi Chris
Good to hear from you again. I remember we got the opportunity to sail a GP 14 - I think it was - around Bombay harbour.
I left CB in 1979 and was 2nd and chief mate with the B&I ferry company. In 86 I took the golden handshake, there were no prospects for further advancement at the time. Unemployd for about 9 months then went to Sint Martin in the Caribbean lived with my brother on his Nicholson 32 for a while then got a job as captain on a nice dive charter boat for 6 months - lots of lovely dives around Virgin and windward islands. Sailed home with the transarc on the Nicholson then got a job as mate on the Irish sail training ship Asgard II. There for 10 years!! finished up as captain. Left in 98 and set up my own business surveying and marine consultancy while doing some summer relief work. Joined a small shipping company here in Ireland in 05 and sailed as master on Christina O - Onnasis's yacht. later did a few years as captain on the Nautilus, a small research ship. Started as pilot in Dublin port in 2010 part time and went full time in 2012. In the mean time I took up a part time position with another Irish shipping company as Marine Superintendent as well as doing the same with the other company. Let go from Dublin Port last year when I turned 65 so now superintendent full time. Just received a call an hour ago that one of the ships is adrift in the Med, ME and genys shut down! Might be away for a while.

Rohan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I have just found this site. I was wondering if anyone remembers my dad Ian Taylor? He joined Common Brothers as a cadet in 1946 and his first trip was on the Hidustan. He became Master in 1961 'Iron Crown'.

He sailed on many of the Common Brothers ships over the decades including at least four trips on the 'Nimos' at Brisbane [November 1969 - Sydney 1970], [Sydney 1970-1971] and [Sydney 1972 - Sydney 1973] and again in 1975. Other names in his Discharge book include - 'Border Fusilier, Boarder Lass, Iron Age, Laristan, Thirlby, Daghestan, Afganistan, Greenbatt, Iron Barque, Ria Jean McMurtry and Caribbean Endeavour''.

Thank you,

Jane

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I have just found this site. I was wondering if anyone remembers my dad Ian Taylor? He joined Common Brothers as a cadet in 1946 and his first trip was on the Hidustan. He became Master in 1961 'Iron Crown'.

He sailed on many of the Common Brothers ships over the decades including at least four trips on the 'Nimos' at Brisbane [November 1969 - Sydney 1970], [Sydney 1970-1971] and [Sydney 1972 - Sydney 1973] and again in 1975. Other names in his Discharge book include - 'Border Fusilier, Boarder Lass, Iron Age, Laristan, Thirlby, Daghestan, Afganistan, Greenbatt, Iron Barque, Ria Jean McMurtry and Caribbean Endeavour''.

Thank you,

Jane
Hello,

Thank you,

Jane
Hello,

Thank you,

Jane
Hello,

Thank you,

Jane
Hello,

Thank you,

Jane
I too have just found this site.
I sailed with your father on the Border Lass, maiden voyage April 1954, he was 2nd mate, I was a first trip deck apprentice. I finally swallowed the anchor September 2003.
Regards
David Hodge

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Iain I remember you well. I was redundant with Common Bros in 1981. I recently had contact with Capt Don Maidlaw who I believe comes to meet up with you and I requested he pass my regards to you. What you doing these days?
hi good to hear from you Jim. You were one of the good guys and so supportive to all us new cadets. Hope you are well, just came across this site and your post was a few years ago hope your still well.

iain

·
Registered
3 Posts
I started my time with Commons the same day they moved from Exchange Buildings up to Market Street in December 1974. After spending 9 very happy months as an Office Junior I started my time as an Engineer Cadet in September 1975.My first ship (1977) was the 'Kurdistan' (pre-accident) and by coincidence she was also my last vessel (Simonburn) when she was sold in 1982 and I took redundancy and came ashore. Met some fantastic people along the way both in the office, at SSMTC and at sea. (also Caribbean Endeavour, Caribbean Progress, Straits of Canso, Newburn, Persia) and like many of you reading these comments could probably write a book about the characters and the things that happened. Great memories and of course only the good ones remain.

Stayed close to the business in my continuing career, 23 years in a Loss Control Company (came across the 'Seabravery' ex 'Kurdistan' in the late 80's) and the last 7 working for an Oil trading company.

Best wishes for 2015 to anyone who maybe remembers me,

Paul Adams
Dear Paul

i remember you well, I think we once went to the theatre in a Perth Western Australia together to see Ian Dury and the Blockheads when on the Persia. Hope you are well just came across this site and posts.

Iain May

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello,

Thank you,

Jane
Hi Jane I joined Common Brothers in September 1969 as a navigating deck cadet. The Master was Ian Stuart Taylor. He was a good Captain. After just joining he took me into Liverpool to the ships agents the customs and other maritime bodies where he conducted ships business. He dressed immaculately. No other Captain did that apart from one who took me to a prison in Guatamala to se two crewmembers locked up for smoking weed. I tStuart was think he was a Geordie

It was a momentous 1st trip we went to the aid of a sinking ship called the Keo in a force 12 in the middle of the Atlantic.
We only found the part of the bow floating face. All 30 odd crew perished. The Liverpool echo printed a front page story about the wreck and the search and rescue mission. I am retired now having sailed as Captain worked in the port industry and lecturing at a uiversity. Best reply would be by sending me your email address as it is more secure

Over time (I am 70 years )

If you want talk further send me your email address.

Best wishes
Robert

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 1921 UK Census has finally revealed family members one of which sailed with Common Brothers in 1921. Im just determining which ships are possible and try to find crew lists and which specific ships he was on and where to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Jane I joined Common Brothers in September 1969 as a navigating deck cadet. The Master was Ian Stuart Taylor. He was a good Captain. After just joining he took me into Liverpool to the ships agents the customs and other maritime bodies where he conducted ships business. He dressed immaculately. No other Captain did that apart from one who took me to a prison in Guatamala to se two crewmembers locked up for smoking weed. I tStuart was think he was a Geordie

It was a momentous 1st trip we went to the aid of a sinking ship called the Keo in a force 12 in the middle of the Atlantic.
We only found the part of the bow floating face. All 30 odd crew perished. The Liverpool echo printed a front page story about the wreck and the search and rescue mission. I am retired now having sailed as Captain worked in the port industry and lecturing at a uiversity. Best reply would be by sending me your email address as it is more secure

Over time (I am 70 years )

If you want talk further send me your email address.

Best wishes
Robert
Hi Robert, thank you very much for your post which I have just seen I shall be in touch with my email address.
Best wishes,
Jane

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Robert, thank you very much for your post which I have just seen I shall be in touch with my email address.
Best wishes,
Jane
Hi
This post should cover all I experienced with Captain Tayor. I like him wanted to go to sea to travel the world and get paid for it. When discharging fuel oil in Gavle Sweden we had a great time at the seaman's mission. We had other ports to visit so we hired a minibus and drove back to Gavle to party. The Chief Officer slowed the cargo down to ensure we had the night in and drove back to Gavle to party.
We did this for 5 or 6 ports.The ship could not sail in darkness so we went to party in Gavle. It was great.
Captain Taylor went to sea to travel to places around the world and get paid for it and to have adventures. I followed his example and got and cargo ships. From the list of ships most would stay stay a lot of time in port, and on smaller ships that get into good places to visit.
I even followed his example including taken my wife with me to the Caribbean and USA South America, Mediterranean etc.
My wife said it was the best years of her life. We also have done a cruise of Singapore 3 ports Thailand 3 ports Vietnam and Hong Kong to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary.
.We also flew to Beijing and Zian - and the Terracotta Army.
Captain Taylor had a great life of adventure a life lived to the full.
This is all I can I can share with you I won't need your email address.as this is all I can say.
I sailed as Captain, lecturied in Maritime in a University, worked as a ships agent and as a
Marine Consultant giving Consent to about 3 billion pounds to build Offshore Wind Farms.
I also worked for Trinity House headed up by Prince Phillip maintaining navigation aids around
UK.please
Trust this info is useful for you. I am also,a Reverend in a Nigerian Church.I am a committed Christian.
God has blessed me with a great wife 3 great children and recently 2 grandchildren

Robert Smitton

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mel, although I was not Common Bros staff, I have very fond memories of my my first trip to sea as 2nd R/O on the Al Badiah. I can only remember a couple of names of lads who worked in the Engine Room. Brian Nelson, 'Nobby' Clarke and George O'Neill (?) (from Scotland), Willie McCoubrey (from NI). Mike Cooper was 1st Mate and John Greenwood was 3rd mate. It was 1972 - long time ago! Anyway, seasonal greetings to you and yours. Best regards, Brian Flynn (Dublin)
Hi
My dad Terry Clark, from Hampshire but lived near Doncaster was 3rd engineer with Common Bros 1971 to 73/4 on Dagistan, Albadiah and Arabiyah think that's how they are spelt. We joined him my mum little sister and myself and spent 8 months sailing from Ireland all over Inc Brazil, Korea Japan. I remember an engineer called George a Scottish I used to pull pints for him! Unfortunately dad died in 2010.

·
Registered
37 Posts
common brothers

hi geordie
my late father in law sailed with common brothers from the 50's till the untill the 80's made redundant . his name was john george lathan . he was a c/e . he was on the farid fares when it went down off australia . he served on the caribean progress ,oakwood,rosewood . we have lots of photos and dates of ships he served on . we are just looking for ex crewmembers of his

malcolm and janet powell
Sailedmwith your late father in law on the Carribean Progress early 70.s
He was extremely competent and a very good person to sail with.
Mild mannered professional.
I was a deck,cadet at the time around the early 70s say 73ish.
Should be in his Discharge book if you have it.
Captain Robert Smitton Master Mariner Reatired BSc Nautical Studies PGCLTHE Reverend Nigerian Pentecostal Church
Hope this is useful

221 - 240 of 248 Posts