Ships Nostalgia banner
241 - 248 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have a book written by Captain Charles Anderson of Common Brothers. Bean Street to Cruise Line Captain.
I sailed with him when cadet and 3/0. Let me know it anyone wants it for free. I live in Liverpool.
Robert Smitton

·
Registered
4 Posts
A bit late responding to this one. I did my first trip as Lecky on the Kurdistan in, I think , 1977. Joined in Boston with Eddie Pickering, Keith Humphreys and Hughie ? Purser. I remember having to learn a lot very quickly. Bob Hedley is my brother and he is now in Vancouver.
I suspect I sailed with you on the Fina, dry-docking in Skaramanga, Piraeus, Greece in 1978.
I started as Eng Cadet in 73, FD Moores, Strait of Canso, back on the Moores now called Kurdistan, Fina, Canso again then the sheep ships sailing as 3E...

·
Registered
4 Posts
common bros 1973 to 1982

Hi all you common bros old hands its great to see there are so many of us still around. My name is Brian Hart.
I joined Commons in Sept. 1973 as a deck cadet and was 3rd mate from 1977 and 2nd mate from 1979 until commons finished in 1982.
I sailed on: AL BADIAH, FRANK D. MOORES, BORDER SHEPHERD,
RIA JEAN McMURTRY, SIMONBURN, FINA BRITANNIA,STRAIT OF CANSO,
FARID FARES, FERNANDA F, and DANNY F.
After looking through a few pages of messages I recognised a few of the names but from which ships I haven't got a clue.
It would be great to hear from any of my old shipmates.

Brian.
Hi Brian, I remember you from the Fina and Fernanda T... I have a spreadsheet that I created for a CV listing all ships, type, power, etc.
I only used it for reference during job change, but it expanded with a sheet for each ship listing all the crewmembers I could recall.
Font Material property Parallel Pattern Number
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
4 Posts
common brothers

hi geordie
my late father in law sailed with common brothers from the 50's till the untill the 80's made redundant . his name was john george lathan . he was a c/e . he was on the farid fares when it went down off australia . he served on the caribean progress ,oakwood,rosewood . we have lots of photos and dates of ships he served on . we are just looking for ex crewmembers of his

malcolm and janet powell
Hi Janet,
I sailed with your father John Lathan on Fernanda F three separate trips.
The first one he always called me 4th, but when we were both back on there I had got my 2nd's ticket so it was always "Dave" from then on.
From day-1 he was always calm and unruffled but I learned very quickly he was to be respected.
Sailing with Jimmy Thompson 2E and your father was a really great time as I learned so much from that experience.
I put this down to there being a big turnover of junior engineers so he would be more prepared to "invest" in ones who were in it for the long haul - I have just retired having been at sea all my working life.
Your father was definitely one of the best CE's I sailed with, old school and set in his ways, but once on the same page it worked very well.

Best regards,
Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Janet,
I sailed with your father John Lathan on Fernanda F three separate trips.
The first one he always called me 4th, but when we were both back on there I had got my 2nd's ticket so it was always "Dave" from then on.
From day-1 he was always calm and unruffled but I learned very quickly he was to be respected.
Sailing with Jimmy Thompson 2E and your father was a really great time as I learned so much from that experience.
I put this down to there being a big turnover of junior engineers so he would be more prepared to "invest" in ones who were in it for the long haul - I have just retired having been at sea all my working life.
Your father was definitely one of the best CE's I sailed with, old school and set in his ways, but once on the same page it worked very well.

Best regards,
Dave
Sailed with John Lathan on Caribbean Progress around 72 73. He was a quiet man, very professional, always had
the ship running well. Sailed from Leith on her maiden voyage. Do not recall any major problems which is unusual for new build ships.
I was a deck officer cadet at the end of my cadetship, with a stint as 3rd officer at the end of the trip.
Had really good relationships between deck officers and engineers which isn't always the case, probably the best I have sailed with.
Have the book Bean Street to Cruise Line Captain which Charles Anderson wrote about life at sea at that time.
The Captain and your dad really got on well, I can even picture them working together building a bar in the officers lounge.
You can have the book if you want, it highlights the culture at sea at that time.
Captain Robert Smitton (retired)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sailed with John Lathan on Caribbean Progress around 72 73. He was a quiet man, very professional, always had
the ship running well. Sailed from Leith on her maiden voyage. Do not recall any major problems which is unusual for new build ships.
I was a deck officer cadet at the end of my cadetship, with a stint as 3rd officer at the end of the trip.
Had really good relationships between deck officers and engineers which isn't always the case, probably the best I have sailed with.
Have the book Bean Street to Cruise Line Captain which Charles Anderson wrote about life at sea at that time.
The Captain and your dad really got on well, I can even picture them working together building a bar in the officers lounge.
You can have the book if you want, it highlights the culture at sea at that time.
Captain Robert Smitton (retired)

·
Registered
38 Posts
[QUOTE="CaptRobert, post: 3094438, member: 243155
Was on board the Caribbean Progress as deck cadet when saiing from Puerto Barrios back to Miami
when the 3rd officer fell asleep on the bridge. The consequence being the vessel went
inside the Chinchoro Bank for 50 miles heading for Belize where she would have grounded.
Remarkably she did hit any of the reefs. The lookout a West Indian was shouting as loud as he could
reef on starboard side reef on port side to no avail. When the 3rd Officer woke up he started to turn to starboard to
get to open water. He called the Second Mate to help him out who immediately called the Captain to the Bridge
Charles Anderson. He went outside to the bridge wing to see waves breaking over the reef. It was noted by the Second officer who came on watch his knees sagged.
He stopped the ship, checked echosounder got radar positions. It took 7 hours to to go south back towards Puerto Barrios and open water. The 3rd officer was sacked.
Relatively recently I went on a cruise of the Caribbean which took in Belize and noted the reefs.
The cruise covered Jamaica, Cuba now opened up and some of the islands I had not docked in.
Have covered most of Caribbean. Also did Chichen Itsa Mexico which is really fantastic.

/QUOTE]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sailed on Simonburn with Captain Dominic Martucci or spring heel jack as we all called him.,He was here and there all over the ship. Alan Stathers was the Mate who was overweight something Martucci used to refer to him all the time.Alan left the sea and became a Humber Pilot like Frank Davies who I also sailed with in Trinity House.
Both Martucci and Stathers nearly drowned in a leaking after peak tank. Alan struggled to get past the stern tube and Martucci was stuck in between the hull and the hull framing , He had a little air pocket to breathe. The second mate would have to assume command and take the ship to the nearest port. I think Les Cusiter may have been 2nd Mate. Fortunately an engineer spotted the pump had lost suction and primed it. The ship,had 10 metres aft draft which is quite a pressure.
I managed to get out leaving my boiler suit behind to stop it hindering me. My Christian sisters prayers must have helped.

241 - 248 of 248 Posts