Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Does anyone know of a list of companies that employed their own ROs?
Were employment conditions any different from say Marconi"s?
Didn't Cunard get there ROs from IMR?
Were their any wireless companies other than Marconi that employed ROs.
I haven't heard much about Siemens Bros. What were they like? What lines did they provide ROs for?
Thanks
John

·
Registered
153 Posts
It would probably be difficult to find such a list . There were hundreds of shipping companies world-wide. From my own small perspective I only ever worked direct-employ. The best was Swire of Hong Kong who ran an excellent provident fund and offered generous study leave.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. John? I was only expecting replies about UK companies, So you are probably just the man to help with my little project. I see you are based in Singapore. I am particularly interested in the history of marine wireless telegraphy in the Far East. A very far fetched topic to research but perhaps I could start from immediately post WW2.
Presume you worked for CN Co. So who did you work for after you left them?
When did Swire phase out UK based ROs? Why did Swire have Siemens equipment when surely Marconi was the dominant equipment provider. Who serviced the Siemens equipment? In HK and in out-ports. I think there was a world wide outfit named RAMAC?
Look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Swires in HK I believe had their own service engineers and spares support.

RAMAC was an association of servicing providers world wide. The publication included what services were available.

·
Registered
153 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Thanks. John? I was only expecting replies about UK companies, So you are probably just the man to help with my little project. I see you are based in Singapore. I am particularly interested in the history of marine wireless telegraphy in the Far East. A very far fetched topic to research but perhaps I could start from immediately post WW2.
Presume you worked for CN Co. So who did you work for after you left them?
When did Swire phase out UK based ROs? Why did Swire have Siemens equipment when surely Marconi was the dominant equipment provider. Who serviced the Siemens equipment? In HK and in out-ports. I think there was a world wide outfit named RAMAC?
Look forward to hearing from you.
John I will PM you on this. Cheers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi,
Does anyone know of a list of companies that employed their own ROs?
Were employment conditions any different from say Marconi"s?
Didn't Cunard get there ROs from IMR?
Were their any wireless companies other than Marconi that employed ROs.
I haven't heard much about Siemens Bros. What were they like? What lines did they provide ROs for?
Thanks
John
P&O Passenger Ships & Sanko Steamship Co were both direct employers

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for confirming RAMAC members were service providers.

Interesting. I just presumed they were Japanese ROs on all the Sanko ships. On reflection I guess they would have used others for their non Japanese ships. If I am not mistaken all Japanese ships carried at least 2 ROs. And they were not cheap!.
Where did Sanko source them?

·
Registered
15 Posts

Interesting. I just presumed they were Japanese ROs on all the Sanko ships. On reflection I guess they would have used others for their non Japanese ships. If I am not mistaken all Japanese ships carried at least 2 ROs. And they were not cheap!.

·
Registered
558 Posts
BP Tankers/BP Shipping R/O's were directly employed from the 60s (?). Not sure about before then.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sanko - Japanese Flag - Japanese R/O + Deck & Eng Officers
Sanko Flag of Convenience (Singapore/Liberian etc) - NATO/Commonwealth/ Japanese & R/O+ Deck & Eng Officers

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks. Where were the ROs recruited from? Singapore? India?
[/QUOTe
Not sure, I never met any Sanko R/O's from India & Singapore during my time with them.
As to recruiting, I wrote a letter to Sanko London offering my services as a British Trained R/O, within a few days, no interview, I received an offer of employment as an R/O and a weeks notice to join OBO M/T World Guard in Italy.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
There were only a handful of British companies who directly employed when I went to sea in 1956..
By far the biggest was Blue Funnel and others from a fading memory were Bibby, Brocklebank, P&O, Union Castle and subsidiary, Paddy Henderson, NZSC, Reasdon Smith and in NZ Union SS

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't think there were that many back them. I regularly visited the Blue Flew boys in Aussie.
Cable and Wireless did. I answered an ad but when I attended the interview I was too qualified! Me? Too qualified? Yes I had a 1st Class ticket but the other excuse was that they didn't think I would stay with them too long. I wonder why. Were the conditions on the cable layers so bad?
So I ended up in the RFA!

·
Registered
124 Posts
British & Commonwealth Shipping Co (Cayzer Irvine) employed their own which included Union Castle, Safmarine, Clan Line and Bowaters.

Better pay than Marconi and considered one of the company rather then someone just hired out to any shipping company.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really loved it. Very different from commercial work
Have a look at my article.

·
Registered
188 Posts

I filled out an application for Sanko sometime during the early eighties, never heard back from them so I went working for another company. Anyway I was in Rotterdam and I met a guy in the Seamans club and he was going down to their manning office so I tagged along, he worked for them before and the money was good. Anyway to cut a long story short he got the job, the office walla said to me they contacted me 3 months previously and I was not at home.(as if I was going to hang around on the off chance they would call me). From what I gathered European R/O's on tankers and Filipinos etc. on bulkers. My friend did 18 months straight on a tanker and he collected the value of the airfare when he stayed on. From memory they went on a big building program just at the wrong time and went broke, which was a pity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
British & Commonwealth Shipping Co (Cayzer Irvine) employed their own which included Union Castle, Safmarine, Clan Line and Bowaters.

Better pay than Marconi and considered one of the company rather then someone just hired out to any shipping company.
Marconi was the odd ball company employing R/O's as all their gear was DC.
It was only in later years that they realised how far behind the rest they were, by introducing AC gear.
Other companies (Radio companies) were AEI (Siemens Ediswan - AC gear)
Redifon Ltd, AC gear and owned by Redifusion
IMRC fitted with the best AC gear at sea, a mixture of Standard Radio Of Sweden and Mackay of America
and other gear manufactured in the UK.
I was trained on Marconi Stuff and new that there must be something better out there at sea and with more
power than that awful Oceanspan, and AC gear too.
I was quite right in my assumption, as every other company's gear produced was more powerful and AC powered.
I have met many Marconi R/O's on my travels, and many othem had no idea of any other company's equipment,
always being told that their's was the best. I used to visit other ships to see what gear they had etc. I big eye opener
considering that JRC of Japan had transmitters with auto tuning units in 1964!! Unheard of here.
I started off with A.E.I., then Redifon, then ended up with IMRC. Redifon gear was very similar to IMRC, and I shall
never forget the R408 receiver I operated, as it could be worked off 24v DC instead of ship mains, and give the
emergency batteries a little bit of use. After that, it was the Mackay 3020 synthesized receiver, the best I ever had
at sea.
I hope this helps.
Mike Carter aged 76 years young.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts