Ships Nostalgia banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Many of the shipping companies that employed radio officers directly also were occasional users of the services of the radio companies, requiring men at short notice to fill a vacancy but unable to fill them from their own more limited pool.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,
After a week of fantastic exchanges I have compiled the following list.
Anyone know of Glen Line and Ben Line? British India (P&O?) Shaw Savill? EDs? Palm Line.

Great work. Many hanks.
Radio companies
1​
Marconi
2​
Siemens (AEI)
3​
IMR
4​
Redifon?
5​
Kelvin Hughes
Shipping companies
1​
Baltic (UBC?)
2​
Bibby
3​
Blue Funnel
4​
Bowaters
5​
BP Tankers
6​
Brocklebank
7​
Buries Markes
8​
Cable and Wireless
9​
Clan Line
10​
Ellermans
11​
Fred Olsen
12​
Houlder Line
13​
Kuwait (United Arab) Shipping
14​
Larrinaga
15​
New Zealand Steamship
16​
P&O
17​
Paddy Henderson
18​
Reardon Smith
19​
Regent Tankers
20​
Safmarine
21​
Sanko
22​
Sealink
23​
Swedish Bulk
24​
Swire
25​
T&J Harrison
26​
Townsend Thorensen
27​
Union Castle
28​
Union Steamship NZ
John,
Ben Line were Marconi. Also a shipping line used by Marconi for new recruits to complete their 6 months as junior R/O. In 1965 my first voyages and happy memories were on Benlomond then R/O on Benhope. Back then a typical joining port was the busy London Victoria Docks. East Ham the local Marconi dept.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Does anyone know of a list of companies that employed their own ROs?
Were employment conditions any different from say Marconi"s?
Didn't Cunard get there ROs from IMR?
Were their any wireless companies other than Marconi that employed ROs.
I haven't heard much about Siemens Bros. What were they like? What lines did they provide ROs for?
Thanks
John
Hi John

P&O and Cunard had their own R/O's. In Australia AWA supplied the seagoing R/O's.
rgds
Jim

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
When I put Blue Funnel on my original 1956 list I should've said Blue Funnel and Glen Line..
Butterfield Swire Hong Kong also directly employed at this time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Many of the shipping companies that employed radio officers directly also were occasional users of the services of the radio companies, requiring men at short notice to fill a vacancy but unable to fill them from their own more limited pool.
I was with BP from 1967 to 1970 and can remember they were using some Kelvin Hughes RO's, I decided to step ashore in 1970 and the firm asked me to consider staying on probably because of shortage of RO's. within 2 years a large number of the firms ships were sold for scrap sadly which no doubt cured the shortage of staff , they were a very good company to work for ,sad that it had to change

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks Dennis,
If C&W hadn't taken on ROs for 9 years in 1971 why on earth did they advertise in 1963? And knock back applicants. Memory a bit vague now but suspected then that there weren't too many applicants. I think I was the only the in the waiting room., But of course others could have come at other times.
I think I came across a sort of explanation that certain companies only wanted greenhorns to that they could train them to their standards! That could explain why C&W did'nt want 1st Class tickets. also they would have been right about me not staying long. I would have been bored stiff doing 9 to 5, five days a week in some remote port! It could have been nice and busy on the Mercury though. Was it H24?
John, maybe it was only 7 years! Prior to the 60's I think the R/O situation was different in C&W. On some ships the R/O job was done part time by the Cable Engineering Department - perhaps because many Cable Engineers were PMG qualified. I suspect the arrangement was not quite legal!
When I joined the base-ports were Bermuda, Vigo, St.Lucia, Rio, Singapore, Suva and Honolulu. Plenty of social and sport activities for the families. I guess it was boring for a single man, who wasn't entitled to housing ashore (most got married pretty quick!).
The Mercury - when it was on a lay had 3 R/Os, not because it was H24 but because during laying there had to be a continuous R/T communication link, though not much talk. We had an NT201, essentially an Admiralty TX I think.

MERCURY R/T POSITION
1978_bermuda-041.jpg

MERCURY W/T POSITION
79 Vigo Mercury Radio Office WT.jpg

61 - 68 of 68 Posts