Ships Nostalgia banner

Compliments of the Season to all Ben Line men and all friends on this site.

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Engine Serang 
#1 ·
Well it always starts with these words each year this time comes around.
I dare say there are fewer of us left at this moment in time and i hope those who are still with us and in good health and spirit.
May I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Warm and comfortable Christmas and a Very Happy New Year.
To toast you all good cheer and peace with a wee dram and spice Xmas cake.
hopefully in the New Year I will be able to show you my special Christmas present from a very dear friend it is Ben Line related .wait and see when Santa has been.,

I will be away in the Caribbean on the Britannia for Christmas and New Year so I am trying to tie all loose ends up and tidy the decks drop the derricks and secure the hatches and ring"Full Away".

Take care to you all where ever you be and lets hope your lum for ever reeks.
God Bless to all > Ian

#8 · (Edited)
We've never been on a cruise and I wondered if I'd get bored and end up offering to lend a hand in the engine room workshop. :sweat:

The only one which I once considered was the old 'Minerva' operated by Swan Hellenic which did historical/cultural cruises but they went out of business.

The great thing about the real MN was going to places where there were no tourists. Even going 'around the island' in Jamaica you noticed the difference in attitude in Montego Bay which was full of US tourists cf the other little banana villages such a Bowden and St Lucia where one was just another worker.

Anyway, 'The Boss' doesn't want to try a cruise so that's that!

oops - also didn't notice it's a Ben line thread.
Compliments of the season to all from Fyffes (==D)

#7 · (Edited)
Xmas Day at sea.... cruising between Port Canaveral & Norfolk Va in Spirit of Discovery. Joining the ship on Monday at Miami. After Norfolk the ship comes up to New York, 2 days in Manhattan, down to Bermuda, New Year's Eve in Bermuda.... then cross to Southampton, eight sea days, N. Atlantic... some REAL sea time! Then four days in London and BA back to Bermuda.

Merry Christmas at sea. Can't beat it... especially if you don't have to cook or clean up!

Stephen

PS: Heck. Just see this is a Ben Line site! No, problem. Best wishes to Ben Line gang. Two good mates at Ben. Colin Rowden who came over to Denholms and went into tankers and OBO, 1975. First class gentleman! Also Alex Allision. Were up for Second Mates at GCNS, 1974.

#14 ·
Yes, she was there on Wednesday. Key West today. Miami tomorrow. Pity not on board today. Sunday is Roast Beef Lunch Day!
Sunday is Roast Beef Lunch Day!
Lucky passengers, or guests. Roast Beef on Sunday what a treat and worth looking forward to all week.
Sounds as if a Board of Trade ration scale is used. One hundredth of an ounce of pepper for Mr Card today.
I'll give Mr Wilberforce a call to have you released from this ship from hell.

#13 ·
Stephen, yes slightly smaller than Britannia, I did take one photo but not a good angle, she was on the opposite side of the pier/quay & astern of us, once I`ve got my head around being home I`ll see how what I took. We did have a Christmas dinner a day or two back, dummy run for next cruise I presume.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.