1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For services to......

a)....... Cricket?

b)....... Charity?

C).......Sir Ian Botham is to be handed a peerage by Boris Johnson along with a group of Brexit loyalists to mark his first anniversary as Prime Minister......?

.......Daily Torygraph.

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well yes.
But a deeply corrupt system that allows such abuse of power to go unchallenged.
If it were Russia or Saudi Arabia it would be called out by the UK media........

......not here.

The corruption is too deeply entrenched.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
For services to......

a)....... Cricket?

b)....... Charity?

C).......Sir Ian Botham is to be handed a peerage by Boris Johnson along with a group of Brexit loyalists to mark his first anniversary as Prime Minister......?

.......Daily Torygraph.
Ian Botham is Prime Minister? I would not have noticed.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Wasn't even aware Ian Botham was a Brexiteer, but do know he's done a lot for charity, and by all accounts not a bad cricketer in his day. Taking both those points into consideration there are probably people out there been handed peerages for a good deal less.

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
As the Daily Telegraph is hardly the voice of the left......

I'll take their word for it.

I agree that others have benefited for a GOOD DEAL........be it more or less.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
We, from our ale-house----

Wasn't even aware Ian Botham was a Brexiteer, but do know he's done a lot for charity, and by all accounts not a bad cricketer in his day. Taking both those points into consideration there are probably people out there been handed peerages for a good deal less.
----had organised a visit to Headingly for the current Test but, unfortunately, it was rained-off.

We couldn't return for the Monday when Botham made his incredible number of 'runs'.

If you mention-it to any cricket fan, of that era, you get the inevitable reply, "I was there!". Working it out, pro rata, there will have been many, many, thousands to see that epic innings!(*)) Phil

·
Registered
285 Posts
"If you mention-it to any cricket fan, of that era, you get the inevitable reply, "I was there!". Working it out, pro rata, there will have been many, many, thousands to see that epic innings! Phil"

Wasn't there, but I did hear it on the World Service ball-by-ball commentary. The Radio Room had quite a few visitors that day.

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Legend has it that he had both English and Australian sides to his home the night before for one of his famous parties.......the match already having been decided in Australia's favour..........more or less.
He didn't get to sleep before 4 am.

The rest.....we know.

A peerage for that?????

No problem.....:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts