Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this week there were reports of about 2,000 being lost in the North Pacific (see Cargo ship loses 2,000 containers which toppled over during a storm). Now it seems that a further 200 have become flotsam in the North Sea (Up to 200 containers lost by mega container ship in North Sea).
Although such incidents make me glad to be ashore, I wonder if such losses are unavoidable and caused by extraordinary climatic conditions or the result of cost-saving designs and operating methods. Or are there other reasons?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ron, have a look at the MV RENA disaster off New Zealand. Human error or cost-cutting?

Looking at most container vessels aka shoe-boxes:

"Pile 'em high and flog 'em cheap" comes to mind.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Got a lot to do with ; careless lashing checks ; racked containers on an outer.lower stow ; container stows
outpacing lashing systems ; a whole mess of things so take your pick.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Ron, have a look at the MV RENA disaster off New Zealand. Human error or cost-cutting?

Looking at most container vessels aka shoe-boxes:

"Pile 'em high and flog 'em cheap" comes to mind.
100% human error , they were having a party when the ship hit a well charted reef

Bob

·
Registered
556 Posts
Do the containers always sink ? We once sailed through an "island" of floating timber. Bit of a hazard for small vessels & yachts.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Container doors are designed to be weather tight. Some containers are fully sealed for special purposes but I gather that most have air breather vents around the top lip.
Therefore, depending on the weight and mass of contents, how much air space there is, and whether it is sealed or not, a container would likely float, at varying depths, for varying times. It might be a hazard to shipping for weeks.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
In a similar thread on LinkedIn last week, I posted the following:-
"A big wake up signal? Back to the drawing board I suspect! Take a lesson from ACL who have not lost one container in 50 years of trans Atlantic operations with latest vessels having secure structures for all deck containers."
These immense container ships, stack all these containers 8 units high as deck cargo. That's a height of over 70 feet above the deck! These latest incidents clearly indicate that current lashing and securing arrangements are totally inadequate for vessels of this size. Remember, you are only hearing about the big events in the media, I can assure you that there are scores of lesser losses which don't get media attention, but do result in major isurance claims.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
In a similar thread on LinkedIn last week, I posted the following:-
"A big wake up signal? Back to the drawing board I suspect! Take a lesson from ACL who have not lost one container in 50 years of trans Atlantic operations with latest vessels having secure structures for all deck containers."
These immense container ships, stack all these containers 8 units high as deck cargo. That's a height of over 70 feet above the deck! These latest incidents clearly indicate that current lashing and securing arrangements are totally inadequate for vessels of this size. Remember, you are only hearing about the big events in the media, I can assure you that there are scores of lesser losses which don't get media attention, but do result in major isurance claims.

See my comment #3.

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

How ACL does not lose containers at sea:

IMG_0765 Atlantic Star-E.jpg
IMG_0774 Atlantic Star-E.jpg
IMG_0775 Atlantic Star-E.jpg

Seven more pictures of previous smaller similar vessels on the site
IMG_0765 Atlantic Star-E.jpg
IMG_0774 Atlantic Star-E.jpg
IMG_0775 Atlantic Star-E.jpg

·
Registered
225 Posts
From comments elsewhere it appears that the "Masters" of these vsls are just "Captains" under the command of the ship-owners.
The bigger the elephant - the bigger the balls(-up)!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not a new phenomenon . We where dodging containers floating in the North Sea Back in the 70`s. when I was on Ro-Ro`s. Not many I accept. I Used to often go up on the bridge around Dawn if I`d had an alarm Callout, and have a coffee with the Mate. One such occasion (lost suction alarm) was as result of the "Sharp" avoidance of a half sunken container.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts