Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good looking ship,this is her official trials photo taken approx.Feb/March 1949.She was 8378grt and was a product of Charles Connell/s Scotstoun yard. She was sold in 1967 and renamed NINGPO and later KINAROS.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
Fairfield said:
A good looking ship,this is her official trials photo taken approx.Feb/March 1949.She was 8378grt and was a product of Charles Connell/s Scotstoun yard. She was sold in 1967 and renamed NINGPO and later KINAROS.

Hi there,

I enjoyed looking at the picture - my second trip to sea was on the Cortona, had been laid up in Dunkirk where I joined her - did one voyage to South America on her and left her on return to UK. She was a good looking ship as well, very comfortable and some passenger accommodation as well if I remember correctly. Dont know what happened to her but I think she was sold to overseas interests not all that long after.
Cheers,
Doug

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for this photograph .... The Corinaldo was one of the ships my father crewed .... judging by his age in the photograph it must have been very early in his sea going career

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
Hi Ruud, thanks for the photo, I really dont remember the tall ventilators though ...have got a couple of old pictures of her ...will have to try and dig them out and refresh my memory!!.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
The photo posted by Ruud is of the first "Cortona" built in 1921 and sunk in 1942. The one in which Doug served is probably the second "Cortona" built in 1947. Sold in 1967 and renamed "Karos" and broken up at Kaohsiung in 1980.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi
Interested to see photo's of the old ships again. I did two trips on the CORTONA back in 1966, joining her in West Mersea following another lay up.
Regards
Stuart

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
I wonder what happened to her in the end, as with most of the other Company vessels, have the feeling that they were not long to survive!!.

·
Banned
48 Posts
GA & Capacity Plans for the Corinaldo

For reasons that escape me, I find that have a GA & Capacity Plan for the Corinaldo ... if someone wishes to have it, it is theirs for the asking.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I wonder what happened to her in the end, as with most of the other Company vessels, have the feeling that they were not long to survive!!.
Yes Doug, all the Donaldson ships were sold off after they went into liquidation in 1967. I was apprentice on Colina at the time and continued my time with Bank Line. Donaldsons were a really good company and I was gutted when they folded. Fine ships and the mates tended to stick with them voyage after voyage.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Corinaldo/Cortona

Yes Doug, all the Donaldson ships were sold off after they went into liquidation in 1967. I was apprentice on Colina at the time and continued my time with Bank Line. Donaldsons were a really good company and I was gutted when they folded. Fine ships and the mates tended to stick with them voyage after voyage.
Absolutely right. I am English, but I was treated with nothing but kindness by the Scots, and I still correspond with two of my former Donaldson shipmates. Nothing but the best on Donaldson ships and the directors and marine supers used to remember my name whenever they came aboard in Glasgow. Radio equipment I sailed with was a complete station Marconi HF MF Autokey Auto alarm MF R/T VHF R/T Echo sounder radar and Decca navigator. Truly happy days.

I finished a painting of Cortona swinging in the Thames this summer. If you find me on Facebook you can see it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts