Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a need for such a thread to be able to include political issues so thought I'd start one.

I'm not much interested in the political side. So far I've been in isolation for about 5 weeks, starting a bit sooner than we were requested, because in the first week I had all the symptoms - bad cough and chest, headaches and a bit sniffy - just like a mild cold. It cleared within a week except for a dry cough which lingered a bit. I'm hoping it was the virus as I may now be immune(?) so it probably wasn't.
Mrs JJ never gets anything like colds or flu for as long as I can remember, which is the day before yesterday!!. I'm in the extra at risk group with my chest condition, so isolating for at least 12 weeks. Meds are delivered and delivery slots with Tesco, Sainsbury's and Iceland have been easy to get so far - no need or desire to go anywhere so very low petrol prices and glorious weather is not much benefit - sods law.

JJ.

·
Spongebob
9,365 Posts
There seems to be a need for such a thread to be able to include political issues so thought I'd start one.

I'm not much interested in the political side. So far I've been in isolation for about 5 weeks, starting a bit sooner than we were requested, because in the first week I had all the symptoms - bad cough and chest, headaches and a bit sniffy - just like a mild cold. It cleared within a week except for a dry cough which lingered a bit. I'm hoping it was the virus as I may now be immune(?) so it probably wasn't.
Mrs JJ never gets anything like colds or flu for as long as I can remember, which is the day before yesterday!!. I'm in the extra at risk group with my chest condition, so isolating for at least 12 weeks. Meds are delivered and delivery slots with Tesco, Sainsbury's and Iceland have been easy to get so far - no need or desire to go anywhere so very low petrol prices and glorious weather is not much benefit - sods law.

JJ.
I wish you both well John, I went to see my doctor pre lockdown for a regular check up and he said " with your COPD state , if you get the virus there is nothing we can do for you say stay isolated "
I have come through the five week shut down which is to end next week when we return to level three but I can see that extra care is essential to us older folk.
Ships Nostalgia has proved a great asset during this time but it is a pity that our clocks are 12 hours apart , it quite lonely through the day.

Bob

·
Registered
1,940 Posts

JJ.
Best of luck to you both, stay safe!(Thumb)

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Best wishes to you both John..
Aren't the promised nationwide tests available where you are?

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Malc. Only for Key Workers and family over here. I wish I could get one to find out.

Everyone, thanks for your kind replies. I started the thread here because I thought there should be a virus thread that included everything including politics, considering the restriction in P&W.

MrsJJ and I are quite ok at the moment (ignoring age related stuff) - no repercussions from what probably was just cold but who knows?
It was a bit worrying at the time and I just didn't know what I should do, but I was reluctant to involve medics unless it got worse.

Thank you all again.

JJ.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Unless you are a Prince Charles or a Duchess Camilla.

We were told that only "high ranking Government decision makers" were to receive a free NHS test upon first indications/symptoms of Covid 19.

Neither of the above qualified ,yet had a free test when he sneezed.

Another thing that got up my goat was when the BBC and Sky showed those well to do junior princes and princess "leading the nation in clapping for the NHS.

The original idea was created by a lady and scheduled for 8pm. The first run out was before BST so at 8pm it would be mid-evening and therefore dark!

The lot below appear to be clapping in daylight in a walled garden during light time. and were not therefore "leading" the clap.

Disgusting lot.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
Winmar
David Cameron ordered a pandemic excercise to be carried out in 2016. It was carried out and like any good exercise, it raised a number of important learnings. In this instance, there would be a woeful shortage of PPE in the event of a pandemic, a shortage of ventilators and test facilities and, that if the pandemic were to last for any substantial period of time, the NHS would be swamped. That was 4 years ago boys and girls and yet the powers to be, are trotting out the same bs daily about, "These are extraordinary cir***stances like we have never seen before" yadda yadda yadda! For Christ sake, they prepared for it 4 years ago and did not follow up on it. There are a number of companies who have approached the government offering supplies of PPE who haven't even had the courtesy of a call back and have therefore, supplied other countries. And to top it off, they allowed a muppet of a Safeguarding Minister to go on, the show This Morning yesterday to answer questions on the Panorama programme. Now, like many of you, I have no time for Piers Morgan, but he absolutely tore her to shreds on our behalf. It was abundantly clear that she had little or no knowledge of the exercise or it's findings.
My view for what it is worth, Aussie and Kiwi are Islands. They have just effected a full lockdown, nobody in or out. Residents returning home, my own niece included, had a 14 day quarantine and it was checked. We are an Island, why could we have not done similar? We did it from 1939 to 1945, no Germans got in then other than POW's.

The way we are trotting along at the moment, I for one am going to dig in for the long haul!

Stay safe everyone!

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
The above post was posted by Winmar in the Pig & Whistle. I deleted it, but copied and posted it here. Please reply to Winmar, not me.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Winmar
David Cameron ordered a pandemic excercise to be carried out in 2016. It was carried out and like any good exercise, it raised a number of important learnings. In this instance, there would be a woeful shortage of PPE in the event of a pandemic, a shortage of ventilators and test facilities and, that if the pandemic were to last for any substantial period of time, the NHS would be swamped. That was 4 years ago boys and girls and yet the powers to be, are trotting out the same bs daily about, "These are extraordinary cir***stances like we have never seen before" yadda yadda yadda! For Christ sake, they prepared for it 4 years ago and did not follow up on it. There are a number of companies who have approached the government offering supplies of PPE who haven't even had the courtesy of a call back and have therefore, supplied other countries. And to top it off, they allowed a muppet of a Safeguarding Minister to go on, the show This Morning yesterday to answer questions on the Panorama programme. Now, like many of you, I have no time for Piers Morgan, but he absolutely tore her to shreds on our behalf. It was abundantly clear that she had little or no knowledge of the exercise or it's findings.
My view for what it is worth, Aussie and Kiwi are Islands. They have just effected a full lockdown, nobody in or out. Residents returning home, my own niece included, had a 14 day quarantine and it was checked. We are an Island, why could we have not done similar? We did it from 1939 to 1945, no Germans got in then other than POW's.

The way we are trotting along at the moment, I for one am going to dig in for the long haul!

Stay safe everyone!
Winmar...Yesterday Gove stated that…”The stockpile that we had before this pandemic was explicitly designed in accordance with the advice from the scientific advisers the government has ”

But didn’t these same scientific advisers state, after the Cygnus exercise, that the NHS was woefully short of PPE? Their subsequent demand for more was refused by the then minister (Jeremy Hunt) on cost grounds..

It seems that either Mr. Gove has a short memory or that his definition of ‘Scientific Adviser’ is rather selective? As for Victoria Atkins???????????/ The government shows that as Morgan said "hasn't got a clue"..If I attended any meeting with as little preparatioin my termination letter would've been waiting on my desk when I got back ..

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
.................The government advised those with symptoms to stay at home, but otherwise took little national action as the flu spread right across the country during the autumn, instead leaving it to local medical officials to work out what to do. In some areas, schools were closed, but few sporting events or other mass gatherings were cancelled. In October, the peak of the outbreak in Britain, the Conservative party conference went ahead as usual. Macmillan’s speech didn’t mention the pandemic.

The outbreak continued into the winter, and ultimately killed more than 30,000 Britons. Senior medical figures were horrified at Britain’s performance. John Corbett McDonald of the public health laboratory service wrote to Ian Watson of the Royal College of General Practitioners: “Although we have had [over] 30 years to prepare for what should be done in the event of an influenza pandemic” – since the previous one in 1918 – “we have all been rushing around trying to improvise [solutions]. We can only hope that … at the end it may be possible to construct an adequate explanation of what happened.”..................

Sound familiar? This was 1957 and we have learned nothing...

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
To counter criticism over the lack of transparency in the Scientific Advice being acted on the government agreed to publish details of that advice...EXCEPT,,,,

That large blocks of text (sometimes even whole pages) of the report, produced by SPI-B, the Sage subcommittee providing advice from behavioural scientists on how the public might respond to lockdown measures, were entirely blanked out.
Several SPI–B members told the Guardian that the redacted portions of the do***ent contained criticisms they had made of potential government policies they had been formally asked to consider in late March and early April. Several committee committee members complained with one saying ,“The impression I’m getting is this government doesn’t want any criticism.” and another took to Twitter to complain that, “The greatest asset we have in this crisis is the trust and adherence of the public. You want trust? You need to be open with people. This isn’t open. It is reminiscent of Stalinist Russia. Not a good look.”

Stalinist Russia..I thought that was Corbyn?

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Yesterday our local Mairie delivered two masks to be worn in public places ufn after lock-down finishes here in France on Monday.
French news yesterday the UK now has the second highest C-19 fatality rate (over 30000) other than the US yet and lets be fair probably due to VE Day remembrance I heard nothing of this on Sky News or BBC.

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
The "social distancing" came second best during some of the street celebrations visible to me.
The attention paid to the children running around diminished as the booze flowed

A saw a takeaway cafe proprietor asking a couple to move away from a three seat bench outside his building yesterday to comply with social distancing in an otherwise empty park....... this morning I took a look at this......

Attachments

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
1The "social distancing" came second best during some of the street celebrations visible to me.
The attention paid to the children running around diminished as the booze flowed

A saw a takeaway cafe proprietor asking a couple to move away from a three seat bench outside his building yesterday to comply with social distancing in an otherwise empty park....... this morning I took a look at this......

This is speculation but, judging from previous history, it's very possible..

Travellers into the UK will be quarantined for two weeks when they arrive as part of measures to prevent a second peak of the coronavirus pandemic, Boris Johnson is expected to say on Sunday.

Talk about 'horses and stable doors'.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yesterday our local Mairie delivered two masks to be worn in public places ufn after lock-down finishes here in France on Monday.
French news yesterday the UK now has the second highest C-19 fatality rate (over 30000) other than the US yet and lets be fair probably due to VE Day remembrance I heard nothing of this on Sky News or BBC.
The trouble is Malc, the UK has much more people for it's size than say France and other larger European countries. I think France, with more than twice the area of the UK and only about the same population. That's what attracted me to live there.

JJ

1 - 20 of 210 Posts