Ships Nostalgia banner

201 - 210 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
https://www.yahoo.com/news/plastic-water-soda-bottles-being-130006235.html
Quote -
article - last paragraph “The recycled plastic part of this is awesome,’’ Weaver said. “But before I even cared about recycled plastic, we were looking at a technology that was going to recycle 100% of the road. The Holy Grail of the road-construction industry has been to find a way to recycle 100% of the road stronger than the original road. That’s what we did.’’
Unquote

More than once I have seen these recycle-trains in action in California. CalTrans contractors have been reconditioning freeways this way for years. It is fascinating to watch. First come machines that first saw the old asphalt across its width. Followed on the same vehicle by a set of blades that cut that at a 90-degree angle. So the old asphalt is easy to scoop up.

All the times I have stopped and watched this in action they were mixing additional oil to the new mix. The back of the last vehicle is a road roller. The train is followed by as many as five - shoulder to shoulder regular road rollers - depending upon how many lanes they were replacing at once - including paved shoulders on both sides.

My view of the world probably is because I live in Southern California.

Where as per a once-popular song it never rains - until it does - and houses slide down hills onto freeways.

Since the Dawn of Covid-19 Democrat Governor Gavin Newsome has held daily 12 noon briefings, updating the world via television, broadcast live state wide by most major networks. At first it was seven days a week but nowadays mostly a Monday through Friday gig, but sometimes still, he does Saturdays and Sundays too. He takes calls from the public and replies to those calls. True, MOST - but not all - of the callers are media, but the Guv always agrees that the asked questions are relevant and responds to them. I suspect that 'someone' is screening these calls?

Almost everywhere I look I see signs around here that a mask is required to enter.

That, BTW, is fine with me.

That includes LabCorp a nationwide vampire operation - ie drawing and testing blood and reporting the results overnight via email.

The same deal with doctor offices, where now entry doors are always locked and patients need to knock. Everyone is quizzed about recent medical history, and a no contact forehead temperature taken electronically- while you are standing in the hall outside of their offices, before being granted entry.

I looked all over my place and my memory says that once upon a time I had both an oral, and a rectal mercury thermometers, each in their own plastic pencil case; but I could not find any.

At the time my local Walgreen's had NO thermometers in stock but 'reluctantly' I signed up to be notified when Walgreen's had some in stock. So I now have a Made in Israel labeled Walgreen's Temple-direct-contact electronic thermometer with a permanent - ie: meaning a not-removable-coin-battery.

I press the start button once and when the display lights up I place the contact point on my temple and wait until the thermometer beeps. Then I remove it and I read my Fahrenheit temperature on the digital display. Then to conserve the battery I shut the thermometer off by pressing the button once. I keep it atop my computer desk in front of me.

2001 my second wife Sue and I had round-trip air tickets to Orly and back. There was 'something' "going-around" that seemed mostly to infect airplane riders. From Walgreen's I bought two packages of twenty-each 'surgical-masks' and I put them in my luggage. There were so few passengers on both flights that everyone did social distance rules so we never needed them.

They have lived in my suitcase ever since until recently now they live atop one of my bedroom dressers. The last time I was at Walgreen's they finally had $30 packages of fifty 'surgical-masks' with ear loops - 60-cents-a-piece - I bought one package.

Now online Walgreen's have notified me that they have disposable plastic gloves once again - 200 size large pairs ie 400 each - $8.00. I will visit next Wednesday when I do my shopping.

Prior to this situation I pretty much used to do one very leisurely errand per day Monday-Friday. Then as now I mostly stay home weekends. Leaving folks who work Mon-Fri free reign. I now do all of my errands in one day every other week. The rest of the time I isolate here and sometimes write SN posts.

Minnesota and Alaska are Purple States. While Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Illinois, Kansas and New Mexico, the east coast, and the west coasts are Blue; Red everywhere else.

Attached:
450px-US_State_Government_Control_Map.png (19.8 KB)
Recycling-Train.jpg (144.6 KB)
State-Legislators.jpg (80.8 KB)

Attachments

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
K

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
And a CNUT of course Expats, don't forget that, it is crucial to recognise his full title!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Confirmed that Grouse shooting is exempt from the new rule of six in the UK, just in case anyone was in any doubt that you couldn't make this ****e up.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Boris likes to imagine himself as Churchill and claims that under his leadership the government has done a wonderful job of controlling the pandemic in the UK, aided by his 'world-beating' systems.
The Luftwaffe's bombing campaigns managed to kill some 43,000 in the UK but it took them 6 years. The pandemic has killed over 45,000 in under 6 months and the total is still rising.
Leadership? World-beating?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Boris likes to imagine himself as Churchill and claims that under his leadership the government has done a wonderful job of controlling the pandemic in the UK, aided by his 'world-beating' systems.
The Luftwaffe's bombing campaigns managed to kill some 43,000 in the UK but it took them 6 years. The pandemic has killed over 45,000 in under 6 months and the total is still rising.
Leadership? World-beating?
Meat beating more like Ron! Just a pity Boris doesn't look more like a Grouse! Lol!

201 - 210 of 210 Posts