Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 1135 Posts

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given our numbers it seems likely that some members will contract the virus and, given our age, the symptoms will be severe.
How many of us have 'senior managers' or local family/friends who could allow us to live/isolate at home?

I haven't stocked up on anything as I already have a couple of weeks supply of food, toilet paper, etc. but the shelves in my local supermarket are already showing shortages and can I expect to get stuff I need when my stuff runs out?

BTW,,I'm confused why waiting to ban big crowds at concerts, football/rugby matches, etc. is good scientific advice; as claimed by the government...Surely that would lower the risk of expansion especially, as at the same time, they claim that testing at airports won't help as many with the virus show no symptoms...

·
Premium Member
10,344 Posts
The cellar is well stocked. I don't suppose one is particularly hungry when enduring a bad bout. I think I have enough poor weather friends to rally round, I hope not to have to test that theory.

I am beginning to worry that next weeks HQ IMarEST dinner is at risk of government censure - that would screw my one yearly holiday which I tie it to.

And I return from my annual haircut to find that that is exactly what has happened. Cunningly it has a postponement of the 117th dinner until 2021 rather than a cancellation. I wonder if my executors will be able to get the money back if I suc***b?

·
King Ratt
1,955 Posts
I notice our FM, Nicola Sturgeon has been quiet about the corona virus. She is possibly more concerned about an outbreak of Salmondella in the Edinburgh Court.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Given our numbers it seems likely that some members will contract the virus and, given our age, the symptoms will be severe.
How many of us have 'senior managers' or local family/friends who could allow us to live/isolate at home?

I haven't stocked up on anything as I already have a couple of weeks supply of food, toilet paper, etc. but the shelves in my local supermarket are already showing shortages and can I expect to get stuff I need when my stuff runs out?

BTW,,I'm confused why waiting to ban big crowds at concerts, football/rugby matches, etc. is good scientific advice; as claimed by the government...Surely that would lower the risk of expansion especially, as at the same time, they claim that testing at airports won't help as many with the virus show no symptoms...
Why on earth would you want to hoard ?.

·
Registered
239 Posts
We can't finish our bridge because the granite that's needed is from 'CHINA'. Didn't know the Coronavirus hid amongst granite.:confused:
Yes, I heard that on Radio Humberside this morning! Aren't the constructors aware that we have large amounts of granite in this country? You could't make it up.

Howard

·
Spongebob
9,375 Posts
Went for a sunny drive to Mount Maunganui and the Tauranga port area yesterday to see a byproduct of coronavirus , thousands of empty shipping containers stacked on every available acre of the port storage and awaiting ships to take them home.
Log plies are equally obvious as the whole shipping schedules are put awry .
I guess that our picture is a mere miniature of that in ports around the globe .

Bob

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
All

Please do not turn this into a political thread, just stick to the virus and what is being done or indeed not done.

Any government is acting on advice from medical experts.

I am not concerned about it. My understanding is that it is not as dangerous as the flu or indeed a heavy cold. It is very mild with the majority of people getting over it. But like the flu or a cold or indeed any virus people with underlying health conditions are at risk. I fall into the latter, but still not worried.

I spent most of my working life dealing with infection every day some very dangerous pathogens but we did not catch anything due to basic hygiene including washing hands. We treated every case as infectious until we knew it was not. Avoiding infection is not rocket science just basic common sense. However some people have no common sense coughing without a tissue etc or not washing hands especially after using the toilet. These people are possibly the same selfish individuals who are clearing shelves in supermarkets.

This virus is causing mass panic, but figures do not add up compared to death every day from disease not connected to Coronavirus including deaths every day on our roads. The media never reports the latter. But lets not let facts get in the way as papers and news reports scare the life out of people (Cloud)

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
I notice our FM, Nicola Sturgeon has been quiet about the corona virus. She is possibly more concerned about an outbreak of Salmondella in the Edinburgh Court.
You must have missed these recent reports then King Ratt. It would appear that Nicola Sturgeon has been quite proactive about the corona virus outbreak regardless of the trial of Alex Salmond

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51790465

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...mber-cases-rises-23-nicola-sturgeon-confirms/

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp...rth-coronavirus-case-confirmed-in-north-east/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51802554

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
Yes, I heard that on Radio Humberside this morning! Aren't the constructors aware that we have large amounts of granite in this country? You could't make it up.

Howard
The stone will now be sourced from mines in Portugal.

Someone has got it in for British granite. Maybe Farage should be told.(Thumb)

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
David,

This is the full item on MSN. These people are not even ill!

A Florida couple still stuck aboard the Grand Princess Cruise ship linked to a recent coronavirus outbreak has filed a $1 million lawsuit against the ocean liner’s operator for exposing them to the illness and ultimately putting their health at risk.

Ronald and Eva Weissberger, from Broward County, were just two of 3,500 people aboard the ship, now docked in Oakland, Calif. It was held off the coast of San Francisco for days after two passengers and 19 crew members tested positive for the coronavirus.

According to the complaint, filed in Los Angeles Federal Court on Monday, Princess Cruise Lines opted to sail “knowing the ship was infected from two previous passengers who came down with symptoms of COVID-19, and had sixty-two passengers on board.”

The Weissbergers additionally alleged that there were no screening protocols for the illness before their cruise set off on Feb. 21.

“My condition is not the best. I have a pacemaker, a defibrillator in my chest,” Ronald Weissberger told CBS News.

“If we would have known, let’s say before we landed in the first port, we would have gotten off that ship and flown back home.”

The ship’s operator on March 4 announced it would cut the trip short amid the outbreak, but it was forced to float off California until officials could find a spot for it to safely dock The passengers and crew when they leave are going to be brought to a secure 11-acre containment area while the most critically ill will be loaded directly into ambulances.

Passengers were only allowed to begin disembarking the cruise ship on Monday and many still remained on board 24 hours later. California Gov. Gavin Newsom said it could take two to three days to get everybody off the ship due to mandatory screening in the area.

“Princess has been sensitive to the difficulties the COVID-19 outbreak has caused to our guests and crew,” the cruise line said in a statement to CNN.

“Our response throughout this process has focused on the well-being our guests and crew within the parameters mandated on us by the government agencies involved and the evolving medical understanding of this new illness. We [have] not been served with any lawsuit relating to this matter, and we will not comment on any pending litigation.”

Related slideshow: Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak around the world (Provided by Photo Services)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
All

Please do not turn this into a political thread, just stick to the virus and what is being done or indeed not done.

I am not concerned about it. My understanding is that it is not as dangerous as the flu or indeed a heavy cold. It is very mild with the majority of people getting over it. But like the flu or a cold or indeed any virus people with underlying health conditions are at risk. I fall into the latter, but still not worried.
So far in Britain, the strategy has been Containment, but now we seem to be entering a new strategic phase called Delay. Epidemiologists know that an epidemic of a new illness like this follows a bell curve, with the worst phase (the summit of the curve) lasting for about three weeks. The Delay strategy has the intention of 'pushing' that bell curve closer to the summer, when it is thought it will not be so virulent.

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
All

I spent most of my working life dealing with infection every day some very dangerous pathogens but we did not catch anything due to basic hygiene including washing hands. We treated every case as infectious until we knew it was not. Avoiding infection is not rocket science just basic common sense. However some people have no common sense coughing without a tissue etc or not washing hands especially after using the toilet. These people are possibly the same selfish individuals who are clearing shelves in supermarkets.

This virus is causing mass panic, but figures do not add up compared to death every day from disease not connected to Coronavirus including deaths every day on our roads. The media never reports the latter. But lets not let facts get in the way as papers and news reports scare the life out of people (Cloud)
Precisely! All the evidence to date is that this virus is no worse than the common flu variants that trouble the world every year, and with far less deaths than some of the earlier flu strains caused. The rate of infection in Wuhan where it started has dropped dramatically in the last week or so apparently, from hundreds to a few dozen. With Spring coming it is likely that it will go the way of all such viruses, since few of them survive beyond April in the West. Perhaps then listen to the worlds medical experts and discuss them here keeping, as Pompeyfan says, the politics out of it.

Even so, given mine and my wife's ages, I have placed my house in lock-down and will not receive visitors, even the postman (which has the added benefit of no electricity bills), and before I log in to SN I wash my hands in Dettol and clean my keyboard with alcohol swabs. I avoid opening posts from any members whose earlier posts suggested some lack of personal hygiene in dubious ports around the world. Can't be too careful! (Jester)

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
Stephen

Interesting post, but with my medical hat on this virus is no worse then any other. Cruise ships and other places where large amount of people gather the virus bound to spread quickly lie noro virus.

The problem with Coronavirus is the incubation period. People could be a carrier without knowing. That is why I said that in my job we treated everybody as being infected until we knew otherwise. Like I said, I dealt with infection every day of my working life, which included my time at sea when we isolated people. The only difference with cruise ships today is that they have no Isolation Hospital like I had.

BTW, we had no hand gels or other wipes available today, they had not been invented. Basically, we are too clean today having no immunity.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
OK it has been said "no political" in this thread but in times of crisis smell the coffee amigo ........... it becomes to a point when its every country for itself. I see the Germans are unilaterally banning exports of medical equipment, including to other EU and single market countries. Governments are looking to placate their own people, and their people are expecting them to be prioritised. ................including the Turkish Ottoman migration
:) only joking keep it off politics

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
You must have missed these recent reports then King Ratt. It would appear that Nicola Sturgeon has been quite proactive about the corona virus outbreak regardless of the trial of Alex Salmond

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51790465

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...mber-cases-rises-23-nicola-sturgeon-confirms/

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp...rth-coronavirus-case-confirmed-in-north-east/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51802554
Home thoughts from a Scotsman abroad: Oh please Pat, the Virus is bad enough without coupling it to that woman. She is a lawyer not a doctor.
When spring comes and turns to summer, the virus will die. Here in Australia the person to person transfer is low, most cases were brought in from Wuhan, Iran, Italy etc. There are 112 confirmed cases and 3 deaths. Those being a 92 year old woman, an 80 yo woman and a 78 year old Asian man from the Diamond Princess.

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
My daughter is at University in the "Red Zone", Padova, Veneto, Italy. Studying Psychology. There are no food shortages, but they cannot travel outside the city. No classes until, at least, 3 April. Cashiers in the supermarket insist on 1 metre between shoppers. No cinemas, night clubs etc. She is BORED out of her skull and is currently taking classes on line. Good for me as, the other week, I asked her, "what are you doing for the weekend?". "Oh, I didn't tell you, I am off to Berlin for four days & three nights!". !!!!!

Many have asked me why I don't take her out of the zone - I think that you run more risk at airports/onboard planes!

Life goes on and we talk with my daughter every day via WhatsApp.

Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
So far in Britain, the strategy has been Containment, but now we seem to be entering a new strategic phase called Delay. Epidemiologists know that an epidemic of a new illness like this follows a bell curve, with the worst phase (the summit of the curve) lasting for about three weeks. The Delay strategy has the intention of 'pushing' that bell curve closer to the summer, when it is thought it will not be so virulent.
So what you are saying is, that in Summertime the living will be easier.B\)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
We are traveling home again this summer for our annual visit to the old dart. I would have cancelled it, but the airline won't give us our money back, so home we go. I already cancelled our planned stop over in Hong Kong, sadly as Honkers is a good run ashore. Notice that the virus is most virulent in the Northern hemisphere, where winter has its icy grip. Each time I look at the Online Express Britain is to be hit with freezing icy blasts, sub zero temperatures and storm force winds. Just what a corona virus loves as it has a fatty outer layer to protect against the cold. In summer the layer melts and the virus dies. As it does in Australia where we are just leaving summer for Autumn..

1 - 20 of 1135 Posts