Ships Nostalgia banner

1101 - 1120 of 1135 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
I think This Government has just "washed it·s hands" They are NOT really interested in taking any sort of firm control now, just let the "Punters" die, Profits before People, Its such a shambles , Nobody seems to be listening to anybody any more , and its far too complex for "Our Dear Leader" to solve, "I got You Brexit! heave ns , I can·t do EVERYTHING": Keep safe it is a long way from being over yet! K:M:

Keithmar and All

Just for the record, my comments were aimed at your remarks just let the "Punters" die, Profits before People. This is an open forum meaning people from all over the world can read it different cultures etc who could be offended by your words. I was the stupid one for not deleting your post. But you must surely admit letting punters die was offending. I was merely responding to such a comment. I will commment further in SW later.

·
Super Moderator
6,624 Posts
Members,

I along with David have been Moderating on this site for sometime now. I believe we do a good job and act according to our remit from the owners as to what is
agreeable in open forum. I do not think that personal attacks against us are acceptable. Also as we have kept telling members for years political rants in open forum are not acceptable in any form. Stormy for you to vent your anger.
David has been a champion of this site and works tirelessly for all to benefit from the site and all it has to offer.

Neville - Hawkey01

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Pompey

Reading the postings on the other Covid thread and in particular your latest do you as a medical man consider a casual link with Corona and Legionnaires' Disease?

Very similar symptoms and indeed results.

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

·
Super Moderator
26,577 Posts
Legionnaires’ disease is very different to Coronavirus. Firstly, it is bacteria, not a virus. Similar yes, but so are many other viruses and bacteria.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
David and Neville (Applause)(Applause)(Applause)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Come again.
Some of these things are advisories, other is law and some I suppose civil law. They are all conflicting, quickly thought out by MPs that don't live a normal life, being in a permanent alcoholic haze.

·
Spongebob
9,375 Posts
There is another round of complications arising from the rules of isolation and lock down that have been highlighted recently and one is the plight of merchant mariners that are arriving in NZ ports to ship out seasonal kiwifruit and Dairy products plus a huge backlog of Logs that ac***ulated in the earlier shut down.
.NZ's rules is that any crew that has not been isolated at sea for at least 28 days since a previous port cannot come ashore
This calls for a trip from Siberia to NZ to allow for that much sea time so there has developed a need for good Samaritans to attend to crew basic needs , meaning toothe paste etc , not the carnal ones , and accordingly they are getting pretty good sympathetic attention .
The other looming problem is the armada of private yachts , 7 metres to 70 metres , ac***ulated around mostly idyllic Pacific island ports that are now readying for the cyclone season and when these craft exodus to safe haven ports like NZ's Bay of Islands, Whangarei , and others but as it stands they are currently barred by our isolation laws .
Just another unexpected problem

Bob

·
Registered
739 Posts
Spongebob,
An old shipmate of mine and his wife are holed up in Grenada in the Caribean having been waiting in the Virgin Islands during the worst of the pandemic.
Grenada opened up, but they had 14 days quarantine at anchor there, before being allowed to go alongside by dinghy for a blood test.
They are now MedMoored with electric power, water and internet connections. Their insurance covers them for hurricanes in that area.
Eventually (?) they will be transitting Panama and heading for Australia and Tassy their home. They left Jacksonville Florida in November and have not got too far.
If people feel enclosed by quarantine in their homes and gardens, just think what it would be like in a 70' yatch with no access to internet and hoping you have sufficient food supplies.
My ship mate seems to find jobs to do on and off to keep amused, so far.
Jobs are only as good as spares and stores that he has available. When ever he gets a chance he toddles off to the ships chandlers or hardware shop for stuff.
Not quite the retirement cruise they had planned.
He was my 3rd Engineer and his wife' s a nurse and pretty good in the galley, so a good team. They have the experience of a similar crossing about 8 years ago in a smaller yatch, so have that experience to call on and how to do things better or different. When sailing they do 3 hours on/ off at night and play it by earvduring the day , perhaps catching up on sleep as they can be seen during daylight.
At times his wife, who writes the blog, says there is a flow of sailor speak and Anglo Saxon words coming out of the cubby hole her spouse is in fixing something, but the job gets done. Like " Oh, dear me" but not in so many words.

I do a potted post of their exploits with their photos on the Blue Star website, in the Log Book, under Coopers Quest. You have Read Only Rights without signing in. Any former BSL staff wishing to sign up can email the address given at the start page , giving some proof of connection, ships, dates, shipmates etc.

·
Spongebob
9,375 Posts
Thanks for that Sternchallis, I'll look it up.
Years ago after Tony Armit and a couple of Kiwi mates from Devonport NZ sailed around the world in a home built 32 foot Bert Woollcott short end keeler and it became a burning ambition to do the same . Today I couldn't think of anything worse .

Bob

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I don't get it...... Well I do really it comes down to the economy.
But why have local lock downs Greater Manchester, West Yorkshire, Leicester etc, tell certain businesses they still can't open, THEN tell the most vulnerable in society to stop shielding and go back to work?
It's no wonder there's confusion when the rules are changing daily, and by area.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Out n about yesterday walking, stopped into various pubs, and it sort of hit home how much of a risk we are still taking just going out. All pubs had the necessary measures in place, some of them belt and braces. I had my temperature taken at one pub for the first time, had to scan a qr reader with my phone enter all my details on the web site, sanitize my hands etc, then me n the missus lost each other on the way out on the one way system.
Aye Times they are a changing so the song go's

·
Registered
87 Posts
I see in this article - re-infection - someone has been re-infected by a different strain after only 4 months - if this is true it means that even a successful vaccine will be ineffective.
I don't think even the japanese will put up with wearing face masks and social distancing for the rest of our lives.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Friend here in France is under the impression he can visit the UK for his daughter's 40th and as he only intends to stay a week he'll be permitted to return without completing the full 14 days quarantine.
Can this be possible?

·
Registered
198 Posts
My understanding is he can't even attend the wedding until AFTER he has completed his quarantine. Otherwise what is the point of isolating until you are sure you are clear?
Rob

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
1101 - 1120 of 1135 Posts