Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Can anyone help? I was on s.s. "Corfleet" from September to December, 1955 on the coal run from the Northeast to the Thames. I've managed to get the history (including demise) plus photograph of every ship I sailed on, but this one is proving difficult! Anyone have any info, or are able to signpost me?

Trevor Waddington

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Corfleet

I wrote to Ted Finch and he kindly provided the following...

CORFLEET
1,803 g.t., 257ft x 39.5ft, engines aft, speed 10 knots. Built 1934 by S. P.
Austin & Son Ltd, Sunderland (Yard No.331) for Cory Colliers Ltd, London.
1946 Wm. Cory & Son Ltd, London.
1947 Concrete Maritime Ltd (Wm. Cory & Son)
1948 Cory Maritime Ltd.
1951 Wm. Cory & Son Ltd, London.
1959 ELIZA, L. D. & N. Nomicos, Piraeus.
1961 BRUCE M, Cia de Nav. Patricio Ltda, Beirut (Mooringwell Shipping Ltd,
Cardiff)
1965 GRACE, Quadros Cia. Naviera S. A., Beirut (A. Tountas & Co, Piraeus)
1969 scrapped at Perama.

Best Wishes
Raymond

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Trevor welcome to the site. As you can see from the responses so far they are a helpful and knowledgable crew. I hope you enjoy your membership.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!

You have exceeded my wildest expectations - not only her full history, but a photograph as well!

I've been looking for this for 20 years!! (Applause) (Applause)

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Cory

So, don't keep us in the dark, Trevor ....
which other ships were you on?
There may well be someone else out
there who is researching the same ships
you have ....

Best Wishes
Raymond

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Welcome aboard, Trevor. Enjoy the site. Results already I see. (Thumb)

Rgds

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't Keep us in the dark!

Trevor said:
So, don't keep us in the dark, Trevor ....
which other ships were you on?
There may well be someone else out
there who is researching the same ships
you have ....

Best Wishes
Raymond
The list is enormous, but here goes!
1955 "Ariguani" Elders & Fyffes
1955 "Corfleet" Wm. Cory
55/56 "British Endurance" B.P. Tankers
"56 "Greathope", Newbiggin Shipping Co. (The worst ship I've ever sailed on - rusty, hungry & a floating disaster!)
"Avisbank" - No, not Bank Line, but Purvis Shipping Co. Another hulk - ex-empire ship carrying irone ore from Bone to Barrow.

"Pacific Northwest" Furness Withy. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven! Beautiful ship running to the West coast of the 'State and Canada - fabulous!

"El Mirlo" - Lobitos Oilfields, Peru. Absolute crap! White crew in focs'le accommodation! Average speed for the voyage from Venezuela to Isle of Grain - 7.4 knots!
1956-1965 Civilization at last! Joined Blue Funnel! Every ship a gem! Sailed on the following:-
"Bellerophon", "Diomed", "Breconshire", "Glengarry", "Antilochus", "Demodocus", "Machaon", "Agapenor", "Automedon", "Flintshire", "Melampus", "Menestheus",
"Glenfalloch" and finally, "Glenogle".

Without doubt, the finest ship I ever sailed on, by a country mile, was "Glenfalloch" - September '64 to August '65 - a brilliant ship!

Her 'photo holds pride of place in my Study!!

So there you go, Raymond - hope I haven't been too long winded?!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Trevor

I was on the Avisfaith, she was also Purvis Shipping, and we where chartered to Fidel Castro to carry raw sigar from Cuba to China, N.Korea and Russia, and it was all in about 69, when the missile crisis thing was in full swing, if you have a picture of her I would be interested, I thought she might have had sister ships, "Hope" Faith" and Charity" but it looks like "bank, and yes I was Shanghaied on her, and what a movie that would make.

ALan

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
There is a photograph of the S.S. Corfleet on the British Merchant Navy web site.
Ahoy Jim,
If it's there,it's also here:(Thumb)
1st: courtesy/© Alex Duncan
2nd: courtesy/© John Clarkson

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
hi i was on the queensgarth, 1975, brilliant trip from imingham to the states, up the great lakes, then to glasgow where i paid off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Has anyone got a photo of the Corbrae? I was A/S on her for a short while in 1965, N E Coast agreement, watch aboard / watch ashore, Blithe Colliery to Rochester power station, I used to get the weekly grub money from the old man & get the bus to the local shops to stock up. Happy days eh??
Paul

1 - 20 of 47 Posts