Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a ship I sailed on but this story was in the Denholm News on the back of a page I had kept for photos of the SS Bangkok but I thought it might be of interest to those who might have sailed on her. I don't know if its the complete story, apologies for that...

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
She lasted longer than many of those 'young ladies' (OBO's etc) in the J&J fleet!

Small calculation. 15 years with BISCO. Say she managed 20 cargoes per year.... 300! At 9,550 dwt....
2,865,000 tons of ore. Not bad at all!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
CRAIGALLIAN
7,088g. 3,434n. 9,550d. 427.0 x 57.3 x 25.6 feet
3-cyl 2SCSA (670 x 2320mm) Doxford type by Barclay, Curle & Co. Ltd., Glasgow 2,500 BHP 12knots
2.8.1959: Launched by Charles Connell & Company, Scotstoun Glasgow (Yard No. 491) for Scottish Ore Carriers Ltd. ( J. & J. Denholm Management Ltd., managers) Greenock.
17.12.1959: Registered at Greenock. (O.N. 300498).
12.1959: Completed.
1974: Sold to Scotstoun Shipping Co. Ltd., Greenock.
1974: Sold to Zapata Offshore Services Ltd., Greenock.
17.12.1976: Arrived at Inchon for demolition by Sang Yong Trading Co.Ltd.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Very enjoyable to read. Amaised at speed of 10.5 knots as I seem to remember her sister, the Arisaig managing about 9 knots. During the 6 months I was on the Arisaig the only time we overtook another ship was an old, coal fired ship off the Spanish coast and then we broke down as soon as we had passed her. Happy Days though

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was the Radio Officer on the Craigallian from August to December '74. We knew she was coming to 'end-of-life', but I did not know until I read that article that she was actually the last of the ore-carriers. From what I remember we always returned to Workington. Our voyages were to the usual places for iron ore; Nouadhibou and Murmansk, for example.
My first trip to sea in '72 was on a similar ore carrier, the Rievaulx, - owned by Boltons of London.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Arisaig was never a sister ship of the Craigallian , that was the Crinan. I was on all three .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not a ship I sailed on but this story was in the Denholm News on the back of a page I had kept for photos of the SS Bangkok but I thought it might be of interest to those who might have sailed on her. I don't know if its the complete story, apologies for that...
View attachment 686752
A ship that I hold dear in my memories as my first trip joining back in November 1973. Strangely enough I was reading my stories of the time from my Cadet Record Book just recently and lamenting the pages that had to be torn out that mentioned the groundings (slight and not recorded) along with results of over partaking of the Skol lager on draught.
Happy daze.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts