Ships Nostalgia banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
The motor barge that ended up in the field at Snape was Nicola Dawn and the skipper was Josh Francis. Roy told me that when she came away from Snape there was a lot of tide running and there was a hole in the sea wall on a tight bend. She didn’t make the turn at the bend and went through the hole and into the field. Apparently they dug out a channel and got her out and back trading fairly quickly. Also Horation got hung up on Mistley quay and broke her back.
Never a dull moment with the trading company.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What a wonderful thread this has been. I joined the Ordinence at Otterham Quay in 1969. This vessel had been built either during the war or soon after. The Skipper was a certain Louis Gavano, he had a broad Cardiff accent and spoke french with a perfect French accent due to the fact that his family were from the Commargue in Southern France and came over during the 1920's depression. We were on a weekly Liner Service between Otterham Quay and Ostend and on a 60/40 share of cargo profits. From our 40% we had to pay the skipper, mate and third hand, gasoil and food. We kept the bogey stove going using the broken scraps of chipboard cargo, my goodness it kept the central heating hot. Louis and myself shared the skipper's place when we had time off.

I remember a new vessel arriving that was designed for the potato starch trade, all the bigwigs were there on the quay. The pump room was kept under vacuum or pressure, entered through an air lock, but someone forgot this and half the cargo came out of vents and the bigwigs were showered in potato starch. There was another one knocking about called the Danegeld, I just cannot remember if this was a Crescent.

I cannot remember if it was the Libation that was fixed up for running GPO cable across various sea spaces. It was a great year and I made many friends on theses vessels, but believe it or not I came straight from Deep Sea with a Mates Ticket! It certainly opened my eyes.

Glyn Howell
Hi Glyn
you must have followed me on Ordinence with Louie I left 1969 after two years.
It would be great to swop story’s
Michael Whiting

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys, New member, I was in the M.V.Harp, Crescent shipping, Small container boat we used to run through the Suez to to Djeddah unload and load the cargo ourselves, Gantry that ran fore and aft on the ship 3x6 weeks on and off on full pay great job, She turned turtle mid 70s lost all hands a few trips after i got out of her. Good to be amongst you all new to the net so stick with me lads learning all the time.p.s Can't find a pic of her anywhere on the net.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My father worked for London/Rochester and then Crescent for 23 years as far as I know he started on the Blackstates then Roina and was working on the Locator when he died in 1977. My brother started with my father and then went to Bowker and King. Had several cousins that worked at Crescent as well, two on the tugs Sam and Doug Bearman and another was skipper on the Millitence George Herbert.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My father worked for London/Rochester and then Crescent for 23 years as far as I know he started on the Blackstates then Roina and was working on the Locator when he died in 1977. My brother started with my father and then went to Bowker and King. Had several cousins that worked at Crescent as well, two on the tugs Sam and Doug Bearman and another was skipper on the Millitence George Herbert.
Hi Mark
Can I ask was your father Harry.If so I knew him from when I joined Crescent in 1962.
I remember Sam Bearman I think he was on the tugs and worked in the office he was something to do with the union.I remember going to him to pay my fees and asking if I could join for a week as I didn’t have much money.
George Herbert I met later when I was mate with Garry Stone on the Caption George had the Diction.
There were several of my family used to work for the including my father I was deck hand in the Servic and Dominence with him and Mate in the Horation.
good memories
Michal Whiting

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes Harry was my father, I remember the name Whiting sure I heard him talk about Jack.
Hi Mark
Jack was my father my grandfather was also jack
then there was uncle Peter uncle Ron cousin Malcolm uncle Ted my brother Alan.
at one point In 1960s we were all working there at the same time.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts