Ships Nostalgia banner

1001 - 1020 of 4192 Posts

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
As a very young apprentice pilot, serving in a pilot-cutter, I was witness (with several others) to a collision. There were many derisive comments from shipmates as to the conduct of one of the vessels involved. The sage and kindly Master of the pilot-cutter observed "Always feel sorry for a man in trouble." Wise words, never forgotten.

BY

·
Registered
698 Posts
Man in trouble.

How wise!
We could all do with a bit more compassion and a bit less judgement.
That's not to say that those who cause the problems should not face the consequences of their mistakes.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Traction Engine

Hello jmcg!
What is the background of that traction engine?
At the Geelong Agricultural Show there is a display of antique steam machinery, in working order for all to see.
Would like to know the story behind your example!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
When I was a small child I was often told, "Don't show off." I have passed this on to my children in a modified form as, "If you want to show off you must be very good at it." Could this be relevant to the Costa incident?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
An excellent analysis and points raised in this article in today's G-Captain newsletter at :- http://gcaptain.com/costa-concordia...ed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Gcaptain+(gCaptain.com)
I beg to differ. Captain Doherty starts well by pointing out that no lives were lost in the initial grounding, recites chunks of ISM, then says:

That none of these distress notifications seem to have been initiated. Coupled with the reporting that Captain Schettino was finally found some 20 minutes after the incident in a lifeboat, along with the majority of senior licensed deck officers, certainly lends that there was not a timely initiation of the CIMS and the human element of CIMS caused a delay which resulted in deaths.

There has been no such reporting that I am aware of, and Doherty's statement that they were in a lifeboat twenty minutes after the incident would appear to be defamatory of Schettino and the other officers of the COSTA CONCORDIA.

This statement:

It certainly appears the Italian Coast Guard had very limited response vessels and staffing to be able to handle the floating city,

also appears to be unjustified. I think most people would say that the Italian authorities' response was excellent. Their mobilisation in the absence of a distress message was first class and there has been no suggestion that I can see that any lives were lost because of an insufficiency of response vessels and/or staffing by the Garda Costiere.

·
Registered
985 Posts
At last sanity is starting to force itself into this farcical situation. The problem now is to make it stick like glue over the years despite the efforts of management to save the odd dollar.
As an example delaying the departure of a vessel until a full safety drill has been held. This could be around an hour!
Tough...........it has to happen and no passenger can argue or avoid it and if they must bring their booze with them the person in charge of the muster station can have the joy of tipping it over the side.
Back in the mists of time I served on the NZS Co's RMS Rangitane. We departed Tibury Landing on the dot of 12 noon. Boat drill was held at 1400. No buts no maybes and every week thereafter until we arrived in NZ. Non appearance was followed up.
Even Sir Bernard Furguson (NZ Gov Gen designate.) and his entourage of nine all fronted up when we rang the bells.
He would have never thought otherwise!
Time to go back to the future.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Mike - I wonder if part of the problem may have been that whilst a drill was indeed held once a week, it seems from some passenger accounts that the ship took on passengers at more than one port, and was in port daily.

To hold the drill on departure from each port where passengers embarked, if they could embark anywhere, would have involved daily drills.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Cruise ship "Costa Concordia" aground

Laying aside all the posts made by self appointed authorities on this incident, which I have not and will not comment on until an "official" report emerges, if ever it does - the issue of "boat drill" in the bigger picture is of crucial importance regardless of ship or company. It should not be shoved under the mat by anyone simply because a vessel takes on a fresh intake of passengers each day. There must be a system available to coral "all newcomers" prior to departure at some site on the vessel and have them made aware of their required action should an emergency occur. If such a procedure were to avoid even one life lost, it would be worth implementing.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I think I am right in saying that the cabin TVs show a safety demonstration and run through the emergency procedures before showing any other programming. Not the same thing, I know, but not nothing. Given that joining pax are going to be allocated cabins, and hence muster stations, in different parts of the ship, I can see that it would not be very easy to hold a drill just for them.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
More excellence from A C-B.

Captain Doherty makes a reference to the potential nature of a murder charge. Er, hardly, old chum! What evidence of intent?

A matter of gross irresponsibility on his part, I'd suggest, particularly as matters are already sub-judice.

BY

·
Registered
985 Posts
Yes I agree Andrew.....however the regs (a long time since I read those!!) do seem to cover the problem. It may well be that this sad event may see some changes however I sort of get the feeling in my water that maybe.........just maybe the seriousness of drills on the modern passenger has not sunk in.
Oh and by the way I was referring to the professional competence of Mike Lacey in the prvious post (lol) however I am sure even for an office wallah you more then meet the grade old son!! Certainly looks like it with your input herein. (Pint)

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
I am minded to treating this G Captain bulletin and Capt B. D. penning with extreme caution.

Pure conjecture.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)
Me too! I am no navigator or ship handler, being of the oily rag brigade, but the track shown looks more to me like a ship that was crippled and without main power, veering on a random course without steering and losing weigh until, finally stationary in the water, tides and wind took over to take her to the shore line and aground. It didn't look like anything intentional to me, but then, what would I know?

The other interesting aspect for me is that the captain was in a lifeboat because he tripped and fell into one, and couldn't get back aboard. If he fell from the bridge, where he was supposed to be, that must have been some fall. Anyone I ever knew that managed to fall into a lifeboat (or even fall over in one) had some bruises and abrasions to show for it.

1001 - 1020 of 4192 Posts