Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have recently noticed that several Cruise Ships are 'laid up' in Southampton Water but every now and then those such as Ventura, Britannia and Queen Victoria leave the berths and loiter around Lyme Bay toward the South West Approaches overnight then return to Southampton at speeds averaging 8 - 10 knots.

Anybody know as to why they would be doing this? I suspect it may be to test various machineries whilst they are unable to carry "guests" but would like to hear from someone in the know.

Thanks and Stay Safe.

(Thumb)

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
I don't know, but perhaps it's just to get off the berth while the crew deep clean the ships, reducing port fees.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I am not an engineer (far from it) but could it be that they are leaving port to blow soot out of the funnel? The ms. Rotterdam did that recently when it was docked in Puerto Vallarta.

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
Grey water is generally the water from sinks basins showers etc.
Black water is usually the discharge from toilet systems, containing urine, faeces etc.
On a ship with on board sewage treatment systems the 'black' water can be treated and the 'cleaned' output can also be termed grey depending on the efficiency of the system.
Where there is no effective treatment system the black water needs to be pumped ashore to avoid contamination of the sea but grey water can be discharged overboard away from any shore.
Grey water can be reused to flush toilets but that again depends on the layout of the pipewok.
In any event, most of the time the contents of the freshwater is converted into grey or black water and what goes in must come out, somewhere.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Cruise ships

In my days with Blu Flu, the 60's and 70's we were not allowed to pump bilges when in any port.

Cheers lads
Succour.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have recently noticed that several Cruise Ships are 'laid up' in Southampton Water but every now and then those such as Ventura, Britannia and Queen Victoria leave the berths and loiter around Lyme Bay toward the South West Approaches overnight then return to Southampton at speeds averaging 8 - 10 knots.

Anybody know as to why they would be doing this? I suspect it may be to test various machineries whilst they are unable to carry "guests" but would like to hear from someone in the know.

Thanks and Stay Safe.

(Thumb)
Yes have noticed the same movements taking place from the Auckland anchorage

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm presently alongside in San Juan, Puerto Rico, doing a very slow discharge of LNG. Been here for 10 days now, and will be at least 3 or 4 more before we sail. We have a shore truck coming to us every 3 days to take our grey water, which is basically all our waste water, including the sewage plant discharge. First job when we get out will be to desludge the chambers of said sewage plant...

Seems strange being here with no SLF carriers coming in and out, and there are very, very few flights...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Apologies if I'm in the wrong site. Could someone tell me why the cruise ship NOORDAM came to Gibraltar (to take in bunkers I suppose) on the 30th Nov, left next day and returned here again today, (not for bunkers so soon?) strange is it not?
G.Gaskin (Batilla)😟

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Thanks Pippin, I should have known better, so I'll be kicking my a**se for that. I looked at past track and there she has been all this time, on the Eastern anchorage of Gibraltar.
In any case is she heading for the breakers, I wonder?
Cheers Pippin.
GG:)

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
HAL spent a bit of money on her only a year ago -, and she hasn't had a chance to wear out the new carpets yet.
As far as I can see she is not on their disposal list.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts