Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Geoff,
Are you referring to the Crusader Shipping Company, which was managed by Shaw Savill and was a joint venture between Shaw Savill, Port, Blue Star and New Zealand Shipping Co, each having a 25% share? This company was formed in November 1957 to operate a refrigerated service between New Zealand, Japan and other Pacific destinations. Two ships under construction for Thorden Line were taken over. The first, launched as Edith Thorden, was delivered as Crusader in December 1957 and her sister as Saracen the following September. A third ship, Knight templar, joined the fleet in 1963, having been completed in 1948 as Arctic Ocean. These ships were supplemented by ships from the partner companies, mainly Amalric, Port Montreal, Turakina and Canterbury Star but with many others appearing in Crusader funnel colours from time to time and other ships were chartered, notably China Navigation's sisters Kwangtung and Kweichow which were both renamed Norman.
The Crusader Shipping Company lost money every year of its existence and in 1972 Port Line withdrew and thereafter Crusader ceased to exist as a seperate entity.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi Geoff and Dave.

One ship not mentioned in the list was the Northumberland, I think she sailed under Crusader colours in the early 70's.

I have a photo somewhere, which I'll post once found.

She had a very interesting time of it, cracking her hull on the way to NZ, sailing into a wharf strike in Wellington, hitting the breakwater in Kagoshima on her first call,causing a large hole in the engine room, hitting a wharf head on in Nagoya, second trip, stripping a turbine blade. Just seemed to go on and on!

Having said all that, she was a happy ship, with a great Captain, Captain Hollingdale, who just loved to explore, and go fishing. We always left point A, and always got to point B, but we never knew where we were going in between. I could write a book, and propable should.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Hallo Geoff;
This is what i Have about Crusader Shipping Co.

In 1957 the Port Line together with Blue Star Line, New Zealand Shipping Co. and Shaw Savill & Albion started the Crusader Shipping Ltd to trade between New Zealand, the Far East and Pacific Coast of North America.
The company began operations in the following years with two ships, the CRUSADER IN 1957 and the SARACEN IN 1958, in 1963 the KNIGHT TEMPLAR (ex ARCTIC OCEAN, 1948), was purchased.
All the vessels were managed by Shaw Savill & Albion.

To meet seasonal demands other vessels of the Crusader partners would be operated on charter to augment the Crusader fleet; TURAKINA (New Zealand Shipping Co.), CALEDONIA STAR, CANTERBURY STAR, MONTREAL STAR and TOWNSVILLE STAR (Blue Star Line), ALMARIC and CARNATIC (Shaw Savill & Albion) and the PORT MONTREAL (Port Line).

On 29th September 1972 Port Line ( which was a part of Cunard ) withdrew from Crusader Shipping as the venture was unprofitable, their share being taken over by the other three members.
The trade share gained through the Crusader Shipping Co. was later linked to the Crusader Swire Container Service.

Crusader 1957 Valmet O/Y, Helsinki Fitted out at Uddevallavarvet A/B, Uddevalla, laid down as Edith Thorden for Thorden Lines A/B, Uddevalla ( Mgr Gustav B. Thorden) but completed as Crusader for Crusader Shipping Co., 1972 sold to Everett Orient Line, Monrovia renamed Rentoneverett, 1983 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 3,338

Saracen 1958 Valmet O/Y, Helsinki Fitted out at Uddevallavarvet A/B, Uddevalla, ordered by Gustav B. Thorden but competed as Saracen for Crusader Shipping Co., 1970 sold to Shaw, Savill & Albion Co. not renamed, 1971 renamed Langstone, 1975 sold to Petries Cia. Nav. S.A., Greece renamed Dimitrios K, 1981 scrapped. 3,441

Knight Templar 1948 Eriksberg Mekaniska Verkstads A/B, Gothenburg Ex Arctic Ocean, 1963 purchased by partners for Crusader Shipping Co. renamed Knight Templar, 1968 sold to Litton & Co., Manilla renamed Mindanao Sea, 1968 sold to Linda Mar. Corp., Manilla same name, 1968 sold to Sea Transport Co. Inc., Manilla same name, 26.1.1973 caught fire at Bislig, Philippines, wreck later refloated and scrapped. 3,971

Regards
Henk Jungerius

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
have not seen it mentioned ,but I seem to remember the crusader ships had a green painted hull,they always looked smart compared to my old bank boats.
JIM

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
The Crusader ships were painted eu-de-nil except for the yellow funnel which carried a black crest containing a red and white shield and sword. Among ships either chartered or transferred from the owning companies were, Napier Star, Port Montreal, Turakina, Amalric, Canterbury Star, Devon, Port Adelaide, Port Alfred, Townsville Star, Carnatic, Port Macquarrie, Devon, Northumberland, Caledonia Star, Rakaia, Colorado Star, Port Townsville, Port Albany, Norefjell, Kwangtung, Kweichow, Egyptian Reefer, Zaida and Zira.
Still see the occasional Crusader Swire Container Services (CSCS) container that hasn't been repainted.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You are right John, it wasn't a turbine they lifted out of the engine room, years have dulled the memory. But it was a large thingy, needing a huge crane, and we did a round trip on " one lung " as it was described to me by the 2nd E.
Probable a reduction gear.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for information,I did not realise that it was such a large operation.I well remember the three original Crusaders as being typical Scandinavian fast(ish) reefers.Were they manned by SS&A employees or did Crusader engage their own staff?
I had the pleasure of sailing with Capt Dickie Hollingdale for several years on Hauraki and can attest to the high quality of his Pacific tours.He insisted that every member of the crew were to be happy at all times,but speaking for myself I quite enjoy having a miserable day occaasionally. Regards Geoff.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I was on the Port Montreal while she was on the Crusader charter. Joining in Kobe sept1960 (on my 16 birthday) leaving a year later. Flying from japan on a chartered KLM flight good time had in NZ and Japan.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Geoff, The Amalric, Crusader, Knight Templar and Saracen were all manned by SS & A employees.

Regards, John

·
Registered
124 Posts
Geoff, The Amalric, Crusader, Knight Templar and Saracen were all manned by SS & A employees.

Regards, John
True, SSL manned them. I worked on the Saracen for 13 months (after being told to take an overnight bag - I would be there for three weeks only). 15 months later I got home again, working my passage via the Britannic and Northern Star.
The Ch Engineer on the Saracen hated any one in the Deck Dept, Chinese crew - chinese food was great - but European food barely passible as I recall.

The only thing I got out of it was sea time, a good time and a company house flag (still somewhere at home).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I am looking a David Giesig. Apologies for name spelling I last saw him on the Port Montreal I think it was. He was an engineer. We both served our apprenticeships with H.E. Melhops in Invercargill. I was an engineer with NZS. I think it was about the mid 60's when we last met. I was with Melhops from 1956 to 1962.
Jim M

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I thought the Zaida and the Zira were crewed by P&O officers ?
Andy
When the Crusader Line(mgd./manned by SSL,see post #5) and its ships was sold the various runs were split up amongest its members,the name was retained along with funnel colours and put on their own ships.(P&O NZ.-Far East,BSL NZ-WCNA and SSL NZ-WI

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
When the Crusader Line(mgd./manned by SSL,see post #5) and its ships was sold the various runs were split up amongest its members,the name was retained along with funnel colours and put on their own ships.(P&O NZ.-Far East,BSL NZ-WCNA and SSL NZ-WI
As per my Avatar!!

MV "Chitral" ex "Arafura" on NZ Far East Run

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saracen

I have a pic which I'll post when I dig it out, of my father on board....Brynn Hammond, I think it was his first command, but I'll check with my mother. My christening party was held several years later on The Northern Star in Auckland Harbour.My godfather was his first Mate , Bob Mc Vitie.

·
Registered
1 Posts
M V Saracen

I do not know why this popped into my head today, but when I was at primary school in the late 1960's (Eccleston Chapel Lane, which became Eccleston Mere, St Helens, Lancs.), my class had "adopted" M V Saracen, and we had a framed photo on the wall. For a while we had letters from time to time from the ship - I think one of the officers - telling us where she was and what she was up to. I have a recollection of looking at the globe to find the Gulf.

Rather smaller coasters and North Sea traffic used to dock at Wells in Norfolk where we went camping, and I was really tempted to go to sea. Too late now, but Saracen planted a seed.

Thanks to who ever wrote to my class. It was a real window on the world, and a different life.

There is a picture of M V Saracen at http://7seasvessels.com/?cat=957&paged=5 - Definitely the same ship - which I can still see in my mind's eye - but not as nice as our picture which was closer up in open sea with a bow wave.

·
Registered
115 Posts
MV Saracen

I do not know why this popped into my head today, but when I was at primary school in the late 1960's (Eccleston Chapel Lane, which became Eccleston Mere, St Helens, Lancs.), my class had "adopted" M V Saracen, and we had a framed photo on the wall. For a while we had letters from time to time from the ship - I think one of the officers - telling us where she was and what she was up to. I have a recollection of looking at the globe to find the Gulf.

Rather smaller coasters and North Sea traffic used to dock at Wells in Norfolk where we went camping, and I was really tempted to go to sea. Too late now, but Saracen planted a seed.

Thanks to who ever wrote to my class. It was a real window on the world, and a different life.

There is a picture of M V Saracen at http://7seasvessels.com/?cat=957&paged=5 - Definitely the same ship - which I can still see in my mind's eye - but not as nice as our picture which was closer up in open sea with a bow wave.
Hello Jamie P

I sailed on the MV Saracen in the 1960's...'64 - '66 and again '68, '69 & '70. I have a painting of the Saracen which fits your description and would be happy to send a copy (scanned image) to you via email.
Just forward your email address through the SN private email system.

Regards
Brian

1 - 20 of 29 Posts