Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Port Alfred

Was on crusader run on Port Alfred from December 68 to July 1970. Joined Tokyo and paid off there 18 months and 21 glorious days . Great trip

·
Registered
4 Posts
During my trip on Kirriemoor (60/61) saw Crusader in a number of ports around far east .. after 50 odd years, don't remember which port this was .. I think she was one of the best looking ships ever ..

2010-05-09_60_a.JPG

·
Spongebob
9,421 Posts
I am sure she used to visit Auckland in the fifties and sixties but then with a pale apple green hull. Saracen was her sister ship.

Bob

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Stood by the Crusader in Newcastle in the late sixties,after she had "Come Home"I guess. Do remember she was crawling with Cockroaches(unusual with a Shaw Swiv Boat. Certainly was a fine looking Ship though.
barry mac

·
Registered
115 Posts
Crusader Shipping Co

Hallo Geoff;
This is what i Have about Crusader Shipping Co.

In 1957 the Port Line together with Blue Star Line, New Zealand Shipping Co. and Shaw Savill & Albion started the Crusader Shipping Ltd to trade between New Zealand, the Far East and Pacific Coast of North America.
The company began operations in the following years with two ships, the CRUSADER IN 1957 and the SARACEN IN 1958, in 1963 the KNIGHT TEMPLAR (ex ARCTIC OCEAN, 1948), was purchased.
All the vessels were managed by Shaw Savill & Albion.

To meet seasonal demands other vessels of the Crusader partners would be operated on charter to augment the Crusader fleet; TURAKINA (New Zealand Shipping Co.), CALEDONIA STAR, CANTERBURY STAR, MONTREAL STAR and TOWNSVILLE STAR (Blue Star Line), ALMARIC and CARNATIC (Shaw Savill & Albion) and the PORT MONTREAL (Port Line).

On 29th September 1972 Port Line ( which was a part of Cunard ) withdrew from Crusader Shipping as the venture was unprofitable, their share being taken over by the other three members.
The trade share gained through the Crusader Shipping Co. was later linked to the Crusader Swire Container Service.

Crusader 1957 Valmet O/Y, Helsinki Fitted out at Uddevallavarvet A/B, Uddevalla, laid down as Edith Thorden for Thorden Lines A/B, Uddevalla ( Mgr Gustav B. Thorden) but completed as Crusader for Crusader Shipping Co., 1972 sold to Everett Orient Line, Monrovia renamed Rentoneverett, 1983 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 3,338

Saracen 1958 Valmet O/Y, Helsinki Fitted out at Uddevallavarvet A/B, Uddevalla, ordered by Gustav B. Thorden but competed as Saracen for Crusader Shipping Co., 1970 sold to Shaw, Savill & Albion Co. not renamed, 1971 renamed Langstone, 1975 sold to Petries Cia. Nav. S.A., Greece renamed Dimitrios K, 1981 scrapped. 3,441

Knight Templar 1948 Eriksberg Mekaniska Verkstads A/B, Gothenburg Ex Arctic Ocean, 1963 purchased by partners for Crusader Shipping Co. renamed Knight Templar, 1968 sold to Litton & Co., Manilla renamed Mindanao Sea, 1968 sold to Linda Mar. Corp., Manilla same name, 1968 sold to Sea Transport Co. Inc., Manilla same name, 26.1.1973 caught fire at Bislig, Philippines, wreck later refloated and scrapped. 3,971

Regards
Henk Jungerius
Hi Henk
Probably just a typo but one of the Shaw Savill ships mentioned was Amalric rather than Almaric...sailed on her as an Engineer in the '60's...great machinery space, however not the best in rough conditions...cheers

·
Registered
115 Posts
Crusader Shipping Company

During my trip on Kirriemoor (60/61) saw Crusader in a number of ports around far east .. after 50 odd years, don't remember which port this was .. I think she was one of the best looking ships ever ..

View attachment 126634
Of the Sister ships Crusader/Saracen I believe the Saracen to be the better...wonder how many responses this will attract...great days

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Brian I remember you well from my Saracen days. I was R/O from 1965 to 1966. Then returned to South Africa via the UK where I had got my ticket in Bridlington, Yorks. Remember you were from Newcastle but had taken up residence in Wellington NZ with your wife Sonia. Let me know how you and Sonia are. Regards Vernon otherwise known on the Saracen as "Jaapie". I think Kevin the electrician gave me that name.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts