Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,533 Posts
Another burned box boat. Drake did well with fireships (hellships to the djago) but I wonder he might have done better with container ships.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I am surprised it has taken so long for this news to be commented on by SN, and am glad it now has been It is going to be nearly impossible to determine the actual cause and I do wonder how much separation is given to DG cargoes on container ships. In days gone by many such cargoes were carried in deck where they could be watched and dealt with at the first sign of trouble, e.g. fumes, heat, etc. And if not on deck then in an accessible part of the tweendeck.

Nick

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
You hit the nail directly on the head, Nick. Computer programmes decide the stow position of the containers, CG etc. I assume another failure of a shoreside Wallah, writing a programme,"Weight, size, equation -OK!".

Far too common these container fires.

Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
238 Posts
The ship was refused aid by at least two other countries when the problem first arose a couple of weeks ago. I cant help feeling the problem could have been solved without this disaster if the right help had been given then.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The ship was refused aid by at least two other countries when the problem first arose a couple of weeks ago. I cant help feeling the problem could have been solved without this disaster if the right help had been given then.
Couldn`t any problem be solved with the right help ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Apparently the leaking container was on deck - leaking for more than 10 days.
The fire started in the hold, hence the release of CO2 by the crew.
Many unanswered questions...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts