Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left 1972 last ship Manipur (ex Ivernia) with a promise of 3/eng on the new "Bulkers" being built in Spain .......promise came from a character called Godfrey Place some sort of Cunard bod from a "high place" in the crew dept. Also from then C/E Mike Allport (good bloke) any how I packed it all in after that. Question.....Did the Bulkers ever materialise ? if so what happened to them ?.......Also does anyone know what happened to the two guys I 've mentioned..I seem to recall Mr Place had a "VC" heaven only knows what for ......john g

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe we all felt a little aprehensive about the new "dream" and the 6-7-8-9 month trips with the promise of a secure future...not....john g

·
Registered
965 Posts
Eight bulkers were built. Two were sold early days - the markets, they told us, had gone up and those two brought in a good percentage of the total building costs. They lasted a few years until the bulker market didn't bring in enough cash. Can't recall when they were built, We did a lifeboat transfer of some stores to one in the Persian Gulf when I was on Lumiere in '75. They were anchored there for weeks if not months, happened to a couple. Hugh Evans was their old man (I was sprog on Marurata when he was mate). I did three months on the Cunard Champion in early 1978, left summer '78 when it was sold - that's when they all went.

The fruit boats were a similar story, bought a going fleet of six I think, only lasted a few years. Does anybody remember them?

Other names Cunard Chieftain, .... Carronade, etc. (I'll edit this when more names come back to me)25,000 dwt tons, a Sultzer sewing machine downstairs.

Sailed with Mike Allport on Luminetta, ace chap. He left from Mare Harbour in the Falklands in early '85 to retire.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Eight were built by Espanoles in 1972 - 1973. Two were sold in 1974 to Great Eastern Shipping Co. Ltd. of India - CUNARD CARAVEL becoming JAG SHAKTI and CUNARD CAMPAIGNER becoming JAG SHANTI.
The others were: CUNARD CALAMANDA, CUNARD CARRIER, CUNARD CARRONADE, CUNARD CAVALIER, CUNARD CHAMPION and CUNARD CHIEFTAIN.
I remember seeing the CUNARD CHAMPION at Timaru in December 1977 - were you onboard then Hugh? Unfortunately I never got a photo.
Attached a scan of a page from the Cunard Brocklebank Fleet Movement List dated 6 April 1978 - no doubt some names here that folk will remember. I hope it is readable as I had to reduce the size so it would fit. Note the name of the Chief Officer under CUNARD CHAMPION!! :p
I have more of similar vein if people are interested.

The fruit ships were: ALAUNIA, ALSATIA, ANDANIA, ANDRIA, CARINTHIA, CARMANIA, SAMARIA, SAXONIA, SCYTHIA and SERVIA. All of these came into the Cunard fleet following the collapse of Maritime Fruit Carriers. The SAMARIA was in Timaru in June 1980 loading meat for Russia - again no photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
965 Posts
They got ahead of themselves. I left Oloibiri in dec '77, and joined Champion in Brake when she got to the continent in March '78. I could give you the date when I dig the discharge book out again. I was on a course in Southend when I got the hurry up to join two days later in Richards Bay. They seemed awful surprised when I said I had commitments.

·
Registered
842 Posts
flyer 682, That 1978 movement list really brought back so many names, some more memorable than others,"Butch"Ward, Dave Woolfenden, Jimmy Grant, Tony Briggs, Geoff Kay, Cliff Hicks all of whom I had sailed with at one time or another. I left in `72 so missed a lot of the fun. Thanks for posting that, MikeJ

·
Registered
965 Posts
That fleet list does bring the memories back, a piece of paper worth a whole lot more to me now than it was then and, yes, I would like/ wouldn't mind seeing a few more, bring more names back. For Michael, Butch Ward did go across to the tankers, but never to Oloibiri. Gordon Ward on the Oloibiri was a Moss Tanker apprentice and never on a brock ship. Sailed with Gordon a lot on Lucerna, Luminetta and Energos, plus a couple early days on Oloibiri.

·
Registered
842 Posts
For Hugh, Thanks for clearing that up, getting my Wards mixed up, I feel I missed a lot not going onto Moss Tankers when the opportunity arose. MikeJ

·
Registered
18 Posts
Godfrey Plaice VC

This is the same man. Met him in the early 70s on a Moss Tanker - Lucigen/Lumen? I remember him being small and rather non-descript. Heard later about his wartime exploits. He was certainly a brave and from what we gathered modest man.
Any more info on his post war career?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Lucigen/Godfrey Place

john g said:
I left 1972 last ship Manipur (ex Ivernia) with a promise of 3/eng on the new "Bulkers" being built in Spain .......promise came from a character called Godfrey Place some sort of Cunard bod from a "high place" in the crew dept. Also from then C/E Mike Allport (good bloke) any how I packed it all in after that. Question.....Did the Bulkers ever materialise ? if so what happened to them ?.......Also does anyone know what happened to the two guys I 've mentioned..I seem to recall Mr Place had a "VC" heaven only knows what for ......john g

I remember sailing on the 'Lucy' while on the Ras to Jas run around Saudi. This would be in '72.
Godfrey had just been hired on by Cunard as Personnel Officer (a job he didn't hold for long) and he sailed with us for a week to get a feel for things.
He got his VC as a Lt. R.N. He was senior officer on the miniature submarine attack on the Tirpitz in Alta Fjord, Norway. He was captured when his sub sank and spent the remainder of the war as a guest of the German government.
He bought a case of beer for the officer's bar, so he must have been a 'good guy!'

Malcolm Cook

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Flyer682,
Whilst an EO for Cunard Cargo Shipping, I sailed on the Samaria an ex-Maritime Fruit Carriers vessel in 1977/78. It was a lovely looking ship, all white with green decks, a blue funnel with a large 'S'. When I rejoined the ship after leave she was painted in the Cunard colours which just didn't do her justice. The engine room was designed to run 18 hours UMS but we never put it to the test. The engine control room was air conditioned which was something I had not experienced before. I have photo's of the control room. The accomodation and cabin's were superb. We took a full load of cars from Hamburg to Houston in Texas and then to Long Beach California. We would then come down the coast to British Honduras, Equador and a few other hot steamy ports picking up banana's, coconuts and other delights. We then sailed around the Mediterranean discharging the cargo. As soon as I have aquired a slide scanner I will upload photo's of the Samaria to the gallery. Bye bye for now.
Paul

·
Registered
409 Posts
I sailed on the Cunard Carronade, as 2/0 for about five months in 1973. I joined her in Vancouver where we loaded various grains for Japanese ports. They were different ships and manned by a mix of Port Line, Brocklebank and Cunard officers and Asian GP crew. The regular Master was Philip Pembridge and the Mate was Pete Seymour. I believe the Purser was Keith Franklyn. Having spent two years on the North Atlantic with ACL I found out the North Pacific could be just as miserable in winter.

The thumbnails show the Carronade entering Vancouver in January 1974 and "Pem" in the ship's bar.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Brocks /Cunard was quite company for having the " Famous " on board in the personnel Dept. I never met Godfrey Place or Douglas Bader but both were active during my watch .
I was told the Douglas Bader visited the Mahout in London and put on a boiler suit and went down the engine room for a look around ( tin leg and all ) . I supose if he could fly a Spitfire it was not really a challenge to him . The crew I understand were very impressed with him .
Understandably .
Derek

·
Registered
126 Posts
For the record. I note references to 'Butch' Ward in the above from Michael James.
'Butch' died in 1974. I went to his funeral at Whitby 3/9/74.
Regards,
Tony S.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Tony, that is a bit of bad news I did not know about. Butch was Master on Maturata when I was there for two trips in the late 60's and a good man to sail with he was as well. He was too young to have died in 1974.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just dredging thogh my Discharge book. I sailed on the Cunard Champion
Aug-October '74. Capt was A.P.Briggs. Can't say I remembered him with any fondness! I also noted that he was the only one to have me listed in the Capacity column as a 'Radio Operator' instead of 'Radio Officer'.
I also sailed on the Cunard Carrier. Joined in Bluff (N.Z.) in April '76 and paid off in Whampoa (China) 4 months later. That was a good trip! Capt. was C.J. (Chris?) Burtinshaw.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Just dredging thogh my Discharge book. I sailed on the Cunard Champion
Aug-October '74. Capt was A.P.Briggs. Can't say I remembered him with any fondness! I also noted that he was the only one to have me listed in the Capacity column as a 'Radio Operator' instead of 'Radio Officer'.

I was 3rd. Mate with A.P.Briggs on Mahseer 1968. Unlike mcook I remember him with fondness. He was one of the most efficient, hardworking Masters I'd sailed with in my early days at sea. He did not however suffer fools gladly if my memory serves me.

Rgds.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts