Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Long shot here, my father Colin Quinton recently passed away. I have found his discharge book and saw that he sailed on the following ships:

Port Caroline - 1975
Cunard Calamanda - 1976
Lucellum - 1977
Port Alfred - 1977-1978
Saxonia - 1978
Atlantic Conveyor - 1978
Andania - 1980
Samaria - 1981
Servia - 1980-1981
Masirah - 1981
Carinthia - 1981
Samaria - 1982
Lucerna - 1982

Dad was deck cadet then a 3rd Mate. I can see from his records a Captain called Jack Knight was one of his SO's.

Does anyone recognise the name? Have photos or insights so I can peace together / trace his life at sea.

Many thanks

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

Long shot here, my father Colin Quinton recently passed away. I have found his discharge book and saw that he sailed on the following ships:

Port Caroline - 1975
Cunard Calamanda - 1976
Lucellum - 1977
Port Alfred - 1977-1978
Saxonia - 1978
Atlantic Conveyor - 1978
Andania - 1980
Samaria - 1981
Servia - 1980-1981
Masirah - 1981
Carinthia - 1981
Samaria - 1982
Lucerna - 1982

Dad was deck cadet then a 3rd Mate. I can see from his records a Captain called Jack Knight was one of his SO's.

Does anyone recognise the name? Have photos or insights so I can peace together / trace his life at sea.

Many thanks

Chris
Hi Chris. I definitely remember the name and I sailed on many of the same ships as 2nd Mate during the same period. I don’t think we ever sailed together, minds not as sharp as it was. Try joining Cunard Shipping Services-cargo division Facebook page. It has many fleet lists which your dads name appears plus will give you a really good idea what we did when we were at sea. Many people on the FB page will have sailed with your dad. I’m sorry to hear he has ‘crossed the bar’ my condolences.
cheers Ian Ramage

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chris, I was the Radio Officer on SERVIA 17/11/80~6/3/81, Capt Bradshaw signed my discharge book. Joined in Los Angeles and left in Genoa. Your dad's name seems to ring a bell in my aging 69 year old noggin. I'm not sure if that was the trip my luggage went missing or if it was 15/1/79 when I joined the Samaria.

I believe the 1980/81 Samaria trip included a stop at Civitavecchia which allowed for a trip by train to Rome that your dad may well have been one of the attendees, but those exact details are somewhat faded. I do recall going to a restaurant in Civitavecchia where we had Sambuca after dinner, which came with coffee beans and was alight, as is traditional, and I believe the deck cadet with us drank from the glass too soon after blowing out the flame an burned his bottom lip on the hot glass 😖. My first wife was with me on that trip and as it spanned Christmas & New Year there were other wives there too, if your dad was married at that time maybe she was there too.

Sorry to hear of the passing of your father, he must have been around my age or younger. I'm afraid I don't have any pictures, if I did they are still back in the UK at an unknown location. Hopefully a few more Cunard mariners will pop up here with more information.

All the best
Greg May.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chris, I was the Radio Officer on SERVIA 17/11/80~6/3/81, Capt Bradshaw signed my discharge book. Joined in Los Angeles and left in Genoa. Your dad's name seems to ring a bell in my aging 69 year old noggin. I'm not sure if that was the trip my luggage went missing or if it was 15/1/79 when I joined the Samaria.

I believe the 1980/81 Samaria trip included a stop at Civitavecchia which allowed for a trip by train to Rome that your dad may well have been one of the attendees, but those exact details are somewhat faded. I do recall going to a restaurant in Civitavecchia where we had Sambuca after dinner, which came with coffee beans and was alight, as is traditional, and I believe the deck cadet with us drank from the glass too soon after blowing out the flame an burned his bottom lip on the hot glass 😖. My first wife was with me on that trip and as it spanned Christmas & New Year there were other wives there too, if your dad was married at that time maybe she was there too.

Sorry to hear of the passing of your father, he must have been around my age or younger. I'm afraid I don't have any pictures, if I did they are still back in the UK at an unknown location. Hopefully a few more Cunard mariners will pop up here with more information.

All the best
Greg May.

Hi Greg,

Thanks so much for your rely.

Dad was on board the Servia with my mother Carol. They later divorced but that was many many years after. Dad's discharge book was signed by Captain Burtinshall for the Servia. Do you remember a cadet called Steve Dougal from the Servia at same period?

My mum remembers - was your wife at the time called Cheryl?

All this info is really helping to piece together my dad's sailing career so I can tell his grandson / my nephew all about him when he is old enough to understand.

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes indeed, my ex-wife's name is Cheryl. I would hazard a guess that Steve Dougal was the one that blistered his lip on the Sambuca glass. Capt Burtinshall did sign my discharge book, did your dad also leave the ship in Genoa? Did your mum go on the trip to Rome? Would you happen to have any pictures from that time? I had a dream two days ago and in it I was "looking at a photo" of your dad and I'd like to know if the face I saw was his. An interesting point not related to your parents but I have a childhood friend called Collin who happens to be married to a Carol :giggle:. Ask your Mum if she recalls whether the Ch Officer was Fred Hawkins.

Greg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes indeed, my ex-wife's name is Cheryl. I would hazard a guess that Steve Dougal was the one that blistered his lip on the Sambuca glass. Capt Burtinshall did sign my discharge book, did your dad also leave the ship in Genoa? Did your mum go on the trip to Rome? Would you happen to have any pictures from that time? I had a dream two days ago and in it I was "looking at a photo" of your dad and I'd like to know if the face I saw was his. An interesting point not related to your parents but I have a childhood friend called Collin who happens to be married to a Carol :giggle:. Ask your Mum if she recalls whether the Ch Officer was Fred Hawkins.

Greg.
I shall check with Steve Dougal, i was only talking to him last night.

Dad signed on the Servia with mum in Los Angeles on the 17th November 1980 and signed off in the Panama Canal on the 15 Feb 1982. With Captain Burtinshall signature in his discharge book I will re-check the photo albums mum has but i think Rome was one of the trip shore.

I've asked mum re Fred Hawkins.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts