Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
One of my claims to fame is that I had to get off my bike in the Netherlands and push it up a hill! Embarrassing for someone who has cycled the Bealach na Ba.

Cycling on a path over sand dunes at Scheveningen the path was quite steep and exacerbated by the sand having drifted over the path!. Apparently only native Dutch speakers can pronounce the name of that resort correctly and it was one way that they could tell who were German spies during WWII.

Cycled all my life and just recently completed a Mountain Bike Trail Leader course.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Here in Torquay built on seven hills and an aging populace, it may increase the carbon footprint because of the probable increase in cremations (Whaaa)

·
Premium Member
11,597 Posts
frangio;3011565 Apparently only native Dutch speakers can pronounce the name of that resort correctly and it was one way that they could tell who were German spies during WWII. .[/QUOTE said:
If you want to learn some Dutch from good speakers, head into Amsterdam, Canal Straat.

Just learn, "Ik hou van jou!"

No problem.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Lycra clad idiots, riding 3 abreast, taking up half the road. Look at me !, I am so superior. (Cloud)

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
In some bizarre twist of the usual rules licence has been given for the powers-that-be to allow cycling on certain bits of pavement.

This they have done along my boundary with the main road. Marking the pavement for the cyclist convenience.

Whilst I have always (perhaps surprisingly for one who wraps Exlax in Cadbury wrappers for Hop tu Naa) preferred children to ride on the pavement when alone for their safety (injured ones are such a drain on the NHS) however I now have a host of peddlepowered adults whizzing away, complaining of both my hedge and taking umbrage at having to avoid garden machinery when we attempt to maintain it.

I am, of course, equally constrained to keep my growing stuffs from overhanging the highway as is any other householder however the risk of any accidental default on my part is much higher. The cyclist's most modest speed of 10 MPH compared to a very fast pedestrian increases the energy involved in any allision with the vegetation (and therefore the potential for injury) by some 36 times (Newton. Square law relationship?).

Should this be realised by my insurers I can quite see why they would wish for a higher domestic insurance premium.

Despite my vegetation being kept (I claim) in rather better order than those stretches neighbouring it seems to be me that gets the hurry-up notices from the Borough. It is only natural to suspect that this, too, is for the greater benefit of the cyclist (although it is possible that the location of McDonalds and wider access for the more morbidly obese has something to do with it too).

(I have yet to vector in the influence of Lycra).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2 2

In some bizarre twist of the usual rules licence has been given for the powers-that-be to allow cycling on certain bits of pavement.

This they have done along my boundary with the main road. Marking the pavement for the cyclist convenience.

Whilst I have always (perhaps surprisingly for one who wraps Exlax in Cadbury wrappers for Hop tu Naa) preferred children to ride on the pavement when alone for their safety (injured ones are such a drain on the NHS) however I now have a host of peddlepowered adults whizzing away, complaining of both my hedge and taking umbrage at having to avoid garden machinery when we attempt to maintain it.

I am, of course, equally constrained to keep my growing stuffs from overhanging the highway as is any other householder however the risk of any accidental default on my part is much higher. The cyclist's most modest speed of 10 MPH compared to a very fast pedestrian increases the energy involved in any allision with the vegetation (and therefore the potential for injury) by some 36 times (Newton. Square law relationship?).

Should this be realised by my insurers I can quite see why they would wish for a higher domestic insurance premium.

Despite my vegetation being kept (I claim) in rather better order than those stretches neighbouring it seems to be me that gets the hurry-up notices from the Borough. It is only natural to suspect that this, too, is for the greater benefit of the cyclist (although it is possible that the location of McDonalds and wider access for the more morbidly obese has something to do with it too).

Varley...stick to the tutu(LOL).

·
Registered
7,483 Posts

Ah, I see an 'if only' moment.
If only, many years ago one had thought to plant a hedgerow of Ilex Aquifolium!
So satisfying when careless passers-by decide to have an argument with it - They invariably lose.

·
Registered
555 Posts
"They" put small wheeled bikes on the VLCCs when they first came out. I found one in bits in the forecastle and rejuvenated it. Then we had the message saying that they were to be disposed of as they were the cause of accidents.
The one I repaired was covered in grease, it had been used by the deck greasing operative and the brakes were useless !
Good fun though !

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Ah, I see an 'if only' moment.
If only, many years ago one had thought to plant a hedgerow of Ilex Aquifolium!
So satisfying when careless passers-by decide to have an argument with it - They invariably lose.
I did deliberately plant blackthorn (sloes, gin etc. Not that I have seen a singly fruit as yet). Holly (thank you Google) would raise the risk of an allisional injury even further.

(Satisfaction requires synchronicity between appreciation of due come-uppance and financial probity. In this the enthusiastic, bicycling McDonald's gourmand seems to be against me).

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Yes Charles I see all that mate, however this from a keen cyclist.
For me To cycle to work is about a 20 mile journey, dodging round the A1 Gateshead Western bypass. With huge hill climbs either side.
The temperature outside is slipping towards the zero lately at 5am in the morning.
It's dark, wet, slippery, and dangerous.
I end up with road rage when idiotic car drivers refuse to give any room up.
I would need to be up a minimum of 1 hour earlier, that makes it about a 3.45am rise and shine.

Think I'll keep cycling as a leisure pursuit. Northumberland scenery was particularly gud this year.
Cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts