Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Tony,
Thank's for the pictures and the up-date. Most interesting.
I was working for Cal-dive when we did the upgrade on the
'Eclipse'a few years ago, which was another ex-Stenna boat (can't remember which
one!)

Malcolm Cook

· Registered
130 Posts
Yeah- I have been working in Mexico for nearly 2 years now
on the Global Explorer (Not a Global Industries boat) were managed
by a company in Seattle called Ocean-Services. The Explorer is an
excellent ship (for a US flag vessel!!!) Plenty of pictures of her on
the Ocean-Services web site if your interested.

I worked on Cal-dive vessels for nearly 7 years as an ETO. Witch Queen, Balmoral Sea (she caught fire and sank in New Orleans several years ago) Merlin and Q4000.

The Eclipse was a fine ship. Only problem was that Cal-dive (as all US companies) is dry, so they said to get rid of all the booze that was on board overside while we were on sea trials. We did as they commanded, only we dumped it via the ship's sewage system. (if you get my meaning?)

malcolm

· Registered
130 Posts
I can believe it!
I was on the bridge wing of the Witch Queen in the GOM and a helicopter
suddenly appeared and hovered in front of us, flashing it's lights. I turned on the aero radio and he asked for permission to land, so I said go ahead! At least he asked!! That's not always the case.
Also if you fly on one of these small choppers and get to sit next to the pilot, you are invarioubly tasked with the job of keeping a lookout for other choppers!

I know they salvaged several parts of the B.Sea. I was in the Morgan (Moron) City,
Louisiana Cal-dive yard and saw the crane sitting in a corner. I went and kicked it!
It hurt but the satisfaction was immense! I can't remember how many times I had been
called out of bed to go and fix it.

I have a copy of the local New Orleans newspaper at home with several front page pictures of the B.S. on fire. I will see if I can post them when get off here.

Cheers,

malcolm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.