Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Class.
A lady who deserved her Awards (and more).

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
RIP Dame Vera, a truly great lady from a time of truly great people. If Churchill won the war for us, she kept morale high so that all the brave lads and lassiescould win it for us. One of a kind.(Applause)

·
Registered
17 Posts
RIP Dame Vera. You deserve a statue.
Yes she does. The trouble is the Riff Raf running around these days will find some lames excuse to tear it down.

She was a magnificent woman who did way more for the United Kingdom then many others. Many years ago I saw my later father listening to the radio and tears running down his cheeks. It was Vera singing "White Cliffs of Dover". recording ng,r

·
Registered
772 Posts
In those days a song was on the air often enough for even a war time school boy as I, learned every word and could lustily sing along. I still tear-up whenever I hear Vera Lynn singing "White Cliffs of Dover" ... It meant so much.
As for Gracie Fields, her saucy songs made us laugh and forget our troubles.
I used to really like Workers' Playtime, a lunch time national radio show broadcast from a different factory canteen each workday. Vera ...Forever.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Didn't Miss Fields run into a bit of flak when trying to change her nationality from Italian to British?
ER, she blotted her copy book with many of the British public when she married Monty Banks , a man of Italian birth who was regarded as an alien during WW2. She lived on the Isle of Capri and later married a Rimanian handyman.
I guess this stole her image as a lassie from Lancashire for many and while Vera became the home and forces sweetheart Gracie did a lot to support the war efforts .
She went over big when she visited NZ in 1945 which was the time I got to know about her .

Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
"White Cliffs of Dover"?. I see an obvious problem Don.
Nice Lady, RIP
Good afternoon Barry. Yes, there is by today's so called standards.

What I see happening today is a complete reversion of our history, be it good or bad history. I was about 6 years old when I saw my father's tears, I was 73 years old a few days ago and so am thankful he cannot see what has happened to our country.

The trouble is, as I see it, no Politician has the guts to say "no" to these protesters/vandals and looters and as a result our country will be shaped to meet the crazy thoughts of these people.

Have a great Sunday,
Stay safe, stay healthy,

Don

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Since Gracie Fields has been mentioned: She figured in a wonderful tall story I once heard a man tell about how he and his mate won the war. The premise was that wnen Gracie was on the radio it put a heavy electrical strain on the national grid. And the nation's morale depended on Gracie. On one particular day, "Battersea went," (the power station) and all the strain fell on a small sub-station down beyond Swindon... "so I said to Fred.. better get shovelling..."

It was a masterpiece of dramatic fantasy and I wish I had that man's skill.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
ER, she blotted her copy book with many of the British public when she married Monty Banks , a man of Italian birth who was regarded as an alien during WW2. She lived on the Isle of Capri and later married a Rimanian handyman.
I guess this stole her image as a lassie from Lancashire for many and while Vera became the home and forces sweetheart Gracie did a lot to support the war efforts .
She went over big when she visited NZ in 1945 which was the time I got to know about her .

Bob
But she did have the biggest Aspidistra in the world!(Jester)

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
When I played that recording it sounded like the old big band sound of Russ Morgan playing "So Tired) with those crying trumpets.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts