Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. Can anyone help.In the sixty's i was a deckhand on
"F T Everards" coastal tanker "Argocity" or "Augocity" i forget the spelling. I have checked a list of Everards ships but can't find this one. I would like to know what happend to her. I would like to find a photo if possible.I had one i took in Rotterdam, but i have lost it. Hope someone can help.Thank you. Barney

·
Banned
21 Posts
Danube4

Hi Barney,

I cant find any photos of Argosity, but I do know that she was scrapped in 1969 in Bruges, Belgium, sorry.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Esso Juniata, 813 tons built 1941 by Grangemouth Dockyard Co. 3 cyl up & downer.
193.0 x 30.7 x 13.9. Ex Empire Lass 1946

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
danube4.
Thank you all for the information. I remember taking whale oil to Jurgaens factory at purfleet, i think they made margarine. Steam cleaning and mopping up tanks after discharging was a nightmare.There where four of us cleaning, we could only stay in the tanks for about three minutes with rags tied around mouth and nose, spraying the steam hose about, taking it in turns. The heat was unbearable. After tanks cooled mopping up around the tanks pumps we could hardly open our eye's, tears where running down our cheeks. we could not see.We where taken to hospital by taxi. The doctor washed our eye's out and gave us drops, he said the fumes had affected tear ducts.It was three days before i could read a paper.That was my experience of whale oil. Good old days.
barney

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lamptrimmer

lamptrimmer said:
Hi Barney
ARGOSITY. Everards 1956/1969Good pic by A.Duncan in Everard of Greenhithe byK.S.Garrett.
lamptrimmer

Hi Lamptrimmer,Thanks for this info. I tried the library. No luck. Any ideas where i can get a copy. Danube4(barney) I hope i titled this correctly.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Danube4.Hi FouFou,Many thanks for web site.I have been looking for this for argosity for a long time. Barney.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Barney, glad to be of service I know what is like spending years searching for a photo of a ship. I spent a long time looking for a photo of my first ship the Barrington Court a real old tramp, a pretty horrendous introduction to sea for a 16year old in 1960. I came across the site by accident and there she was, now I have seen her again it brings back the old memories. I`m sure we look through rose tinted glasses at the past but I did have some great times and my only regret is I didn`t stay at sea longer!!
best regards Pat

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
danube4 said:
Danube4.Hi FouFou,Many thanks for web site.I have been looking for this for argosity for a long time. Barney.
Ahoy Barney,
Here your Argosity 1956,photo © by A.Duncan source Everard of Greenhithe courtesy by K.S.Garrett.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Chris. You're right i am well pleased. I now have four pics. Thanks for all your help everyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Fou fou,

My Grandad Frank Cook served on the Barrington Court, do you have any further photos you could forward please.

Cheers

Marc

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Ahoy Marc,

Here your Barrington Court, no idea where that piccie came/belonged to.
But now knows who took it, so all credits/courtesy to Peter aka Peggy747, thanks mate and sorry that I didn't knew where it came from.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Another example of the resourcefulness of our members in helping each other - I note that people are still trying to help on a thread that started i nAugust 2005!

Real persistence - thanks to everyone and especially Ruud. (Applause)

Brian

·
Registered
678 Posts
Barrington Court

ruud said:
Ahoy Marc,

Here your Barrington Court, no idea where that piccie came/belonged to.
Hello Rudd, you were able to get a pic of Barrington Court to a friend and you said you didnt know where it came from, thats very kind of you, I took the pic in Lagos Dec 1954, for interest you will note abeam of number 2 hold a vertical difference in the paint colour, we ran out of paint! I was the lamptrimmer and I tried to mix up some more from what I could find and it wasnt a big success but by the time we got back to London it looked good.

Cheers Peter

1 - 20 of 22 Posts