Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
F(Eat)(Eat)ancy going to India sometime for holiday,anyone had experiences out there maybe regarding food,,and water(Eat)(Eat)

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
F(Eat)(Eat)ancy going to India sometime for holiday,anyone had experiences out there maybe regarding food,,and water(Eat)(Eat)
Depends where I guess, but in all Eastern countries I always believed in the rule don't drink the local water, and don't eat anything that might have been washed in it (salads etc.). Eat only that which has been cooked to oblivion and avoid the delicacies from the street markets however tempting. Reject "beef bacon" in Egypt when wanting a fry-up because it is revolting, and resign yourself to endless omelettes.

For a guide try https://www.asherfergusson.com/2012/10/7-tips-for-eating-in-india-as-a-tourist-who-avoids-getting-sick/

Oh, and try to avoid this virus that is spreading out of Asia, which is uncomfortably close to India!

Good luck! (Thumb)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My number 2 grandson visited India a couple of years ago. He had toured all over Europe previously without mishap. He spent some time in an Ashram in the north and then moved to Delhi. We then got frantic calls about how ill he felt,he just about made it home and was ill for a while after. He is a lad who is quite good with food and has worked in the hospitality industry,but India got him.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you

Depends where I guess, but in all Eastern countries I always believed in the rule don't drink the local water, and don't eat anything that might have been washed in it (salads etc.). Eat only that which has been cooked to oblivion and avoid the delicacies from the street markets however tempting. Reject "beef bacon" in Egypt when wanting a fry-up because it is revolting, and resign yourself to endless omelettes.

For a guide try https://www.asherfergusson.com/2012/10/7-tips-for-eating-in-india-as-a-tourist-who-avoids-getting-sick/

Oh, and try to avoid this virus that is spreading out of Asia, which is uncomfortably close to India!

Good luck! (Thumb)
,,much obliged

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

My number 2 grandson visited India a couple of years ago. He had toured all over Europe previously without mishap. He spent some time in an Ashram in the north and then moved to Delhi. We then got frantic calls about how ill he felt,he just about made it home and was ill for a while after. He is a lad who is quite good with food and has worked in the hospitality industry,but India got him.
might go to cleethorpes instead

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Good luck! (Thumb)
read the post,,rabbit food looks good right enough,,even reading all that stuff makes belly rumble

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have toured India quite a few times with watching Cricket with England and a few other holidays where I have travelled independently. Never seemed to escape the old Delhi Belly and even had a really bad dose in Chennai. Been to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka a few times and neve had a problem
If India is your goal. Stick to bottled water but check the condition of the bottle and cap. Salads are a no no as previously mentioned and watch out for fruit stalls that sell half melons that look really good but underneath the stall is usually a jug of high bacterial water to make the fruit look fresh. Keep your hands clean with anti bacterial spray especially when handling money. Indian whisky is the only thing you can trust.(Jester)(Jester)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Had a very enjoyable ten day holiday solo there a few years back aged 72, visiting places in northern India connected in the 19th and early 20th century with my family. Never had any concerns about food and water although I was careful. I travelled mainly by country buses and my only complaint was so many signs were written in Hindi only. However, there was always a kind person nearby to make sure i did not get on the wrong bus. My only precaution was getting a Hepatitis shot before leaving. I ate Indian food all the time I was in the country washed down by gallons of Lipton's 'cha.
Nick

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whisky

I have toured India quite a few times with watching Cricket with England and a few other holidays where I have travelled independently. Never seemed to escape the old Delhi Belly and even had a really bad dose in Chennai. Been to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka a few times and neve had a problem
If India is your goal. Stick to bottled water but check the condition of the bottle and cap. Salads are a no no as previously mentioned and watch out for fruit stalls that sell half melons that look really good but underneath the stall is usually a jug of high bacterial water to make the fruit look fresh. Keep your hands clean with anti (Jester)(Jester)(Jester)bacterial spray especially when handling money. Indian whisky is the only thing you can trust.(Jester)(Jester)
whisky cures all (==D)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nick

Had a very enjoyable ten day holiday solo there a few years back aged 72, visiting places in northern India connected in the 19th and early 20th century with my family. Never had any concerns about food and water although I was careful. I travelled mainly by country buses and my only complaint was so many signs were written in Hindi only. However, there was always a kind person nearby to make sure i did not get on the wrong bus. My only precaution was getting a Hepatitis shot before leaving. I ate Indian food all the time I was in the country washed down by gallons of Lipton's 'cha.
Nick
nice one

·
Registered
68 Posts
as a Bank line app ate from street stalls when food could be seen to be cooked.Not unusual to have a bit of the runs first day or so but nothing more. BUT had a mate/Ch.Off went into Forepeak while crew washing down while at the buoys.He was hospitalised within 24 hours and Gangooly was down giving us TAB 1&2 never mind the required supposed time lag

·
Registered
959 Posts
Holiday'd in Southern India a couple of years ago, went prepared for the worst (immodium etc) but never needed to use it. We were generally careful (eg bottled water for teeth cleaning) but experienced no ill effects.

We took a train journey of about 8 hours duration and were advised to take our own food and water. The train departed early morning and you are immediately bombarded by vendors. Starts off with the Chai wallah, then the coffee wallah, biscuit wallah etc etc building up to full blown curries at about lunch time. The curries smelt wonderful and at this point my resistance crumbled and I ordered a chicken curry. Sat tentatively for the rest of the trip waiting for the ill effects to kick in................ nothing, result. Curry was excellent and cost less than a quid.

regards
Dave

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Goa is always a good bet in India. As far as food etc goes I am a firm believer in the school of thought that says it is usually not food poisoning you get otherwise all the locals would be poisoned as well. It's just the change of food, area and local microbes that your body is not used to. Basically just get on with it and your body will adapt. Worked for me so far

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Nick
Actually that is good advice, no matter where you go if there is one vaccine you should get its Hep A.

I get the full Monty on a regular basis but every single doctor has always said to me - keep the Hep A up to date no matter what

·
Registered
959 Posts
Goa is always a good bet in India. As far as food etc goes I am a firm believer in the school of thought that says it is usually not food poisoning you get otherwise all the locals would be poisoned as well. It's just the change of food, area and local microbes that your body is not used to. Basically just get on with it and your body will adapt. Worked for me so far
Change of water also a big factor. Spent a time running across the Pacific from Aus or India to west coast USA and we would only drink ships water ie from the vap. We would sail with tanks almost empty and arrive with them full. You never know with shoreside water!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I agree with what SM says, your body will adapt, over a period. But living in the UK, and going to India for a few weeks, your body is not adapted, so take care, especially the water.
Pilot Mac. Dave, after your spell on the Dwarka, your body was already immune to anything the sub continent could throw at you!

·
Registered
959 Posts
I agree with what SM says, your body will adapt, over a period. But living in the UK, and going to India for a few weeks, your body is not adapted, so take care, especially the water.
Pilot Mac. Dave, after your spell on the Dwarka, your body was already immune to anything the sub continent could throw at you!
Loved the food on Dwarka, spoilt for choice. Vegetarian galley and non vegetarian galley in No3 Upper tween deck, baker with his clay ovens in No4 Upper tween deck or carry on aft to either the Deck or Engine Bhandary or if you were a conformist there was always the Officers/First Class galley midships, cooked on coal of course.

Duncan, almost immune but not totally, some of those late night pavement curries in Bombay could prove challenging

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Good post SM. One of my mother's sayings - "It's the change of water". Can affect if just going on hols in one's own country I've found.

JJ.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts