Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Does andbody have any record of which submarine was responsibly to the sinking of the Delphic off Bishops Rock on the 16 Feb 1917.

Thanks in advance

NigelC

Attachments

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Hello Nigel,

You dont ask easy questions do you ? LOL

Torpedoed by UC-72 135 miles of Bishop Rock during a voyage from Cardiff to Montevideo with a cargo of coal. Five lives were lost.
UC72: Sunk in the North Sea, 22nd September, 1917

Rgds (Thumb)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tks Peter/Hugh

Now come on Hugh, you wouldn't be happy if I asked an easy one would you?

I'll try a bit harder. Have just looked at the U-boat Net Index and find that UC-72 may have been sunk by a Q-boat on the 20/21 August 1917 but no name of Q-boat. Any ideas on this one?

NigelC

·
Registered
19 Posts
Delphic and UC-72

Hi Nigel,

Just looked through some sources and found:

DELPHIC BR
8,273 Oceanic Steam Navigation Co., Ltd. (Ismay, Imrie & Co.), Liverpool 475.9 x 55.2 P/C/R
Harland & Wolff, Ltd., Belfast Yard No. 309 Off No 106581
Torp. and sunk by UC 72, 16 Aug 1917, 135 miles SW ¾ W of Bishop Rock, voy. Cardiff - Montevideo, coal
Source - Starke Register 1897 (World Ship Society)

UC-72 GE
UC-72 left Zeebrugge on 12 August 1917 for a minelaying operation.
20/08/1917 UC-72 encountered the decoy ship Acton in the Bay of Biscay 46.08N-??.48W.
During the U-boat capain's periscope reconnaisance run in, he actually collided with the Acton. He was evidently satisfied so gave the order to surface. The U-boat was overwhelmed by the decoy's gunfire and sank quickly with no survivors of crew of 31.
UC-72 was the last U-boat to be sunk by a decoy vessel.
Source - U-Boats Destroyed (Paul Kemp ISBN 1-85409-515-3)

Hope this helps

Bootneck

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Nigel,

Acton (Q.34), credited by German sources with sinking coastal submarine "UC.72" on 20th August 1917 in Bay of Biscay. Some sources still show her loss due to aircraft attack on the 22nd August 1917. Assuming "Acton" did sink "UC.72" this would have been the last confirmed Q-ship sinking.

Rgds

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay okay

You lot are spoiling me!

Next question:

What's the story behind the Acton (Q34), sounds like a Chapman & Willan name to me??

I'll stump you somewhere along the line

Regards

NigelC

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Hi Nigel,

Just to put a small spanner in the works. If you look at this page on u-boat.net it suggests that UC72 survived the attack by Acton. So it could well be that she was eventually sunk by aircraft on 22 Aug 1917.

http://uboat.net/wwi/boats/index.html?boat=UC+72

DECOY VESSELS ( names in brackets are the disguised identities )
Ex-Cargo Vessel

Acton ( Wellington, Gandy, 1917 - 18 Returned 1919
Harelda, Q.34 )

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Hugh

Yes I had found UC72 on Uboat.net but had misread Acton (noun) as Action (verb) so completely missed the point.

Thanks for clarifying the situation

Regards

NigelC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts