Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At the end of 2019 a third vessel was added see http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=3133551

WELLPARK (9) (2019 - )
22,469g.. 12,174. 37,429d. 179.99 (BB) x 30.6 x 14.63 (10.329 dt) metres
5-cyl. 2 SCSA (500 x 2000mm) MAN/B&W 5S50MC-C8 type by Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd, Japan, 7,682 BHP. 14kts.
20.1.2014: Keel laid by Oshima Shipbuilding Co., Saikai, NS (Yard No. 10741) for Ultra Naviera Ltda, Chile.
24.4.2014: Launched as ULTRA VILLARRICA for Ultrabulk AS, Denmark.
5.6.2014: Completed under Singapore flag. Belships Management Singapore Pte Ltd, managers.
7.2017: Removed from management.
11.2019: Sold to Mountpark Shipping Co. Ltd., London and renamed WELLPARK. (O.N. 924567)
7.2020: Still in service

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks Bill.

What has happened to the funnel? Yellow? NEVER!!!! Better get the Mate to work and get it painted RED!

Stephen
Over SIX months ago - you would have thought it would have been done by now, on some off these long passages ...

Details at the horses mouth https://www.denholm-group.co.uk/what-we-do/shipping/our-fleet/mv-wellpark/ (with nice aerial shots of the Mountpark and Glenpark- with traditional red funnels)

A Scotspark next Stephen! Get these brushes on standby .... (Applause) (Applause)

·
Premium Member
11,609 Posts
I'd gladly do the job! Not a simple rectangle for a flag, I'd do an ORIGINAL Diamond D flag! Note the port of registry.. LONDON. Oh dear!

Stephen

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'd gladly do the job! Not a simple rectangle for a flag, I'd do an ORIGINAL Diamond D flag! Note the port of registry.. LONDON. Oh dear!

Stephen
Stephen,
Maybe something to do with the following shuffle
The title Denholm Shipping Co Ltd re-emerged in 1985, albeit this time around an English concern (registered No. 00709942). It had originally been incorporated on 7th December 1961 as J & J Denholm (Cardiff) Ltd then in the interim had undergone several name changes. 23/03/1983 restyled as Denholm Noruk Ltd; 27/04/1983 restyled as Park Trucking Co Ltd; 03/12/1985 restyled as Denholm Shipping Co Ltd; 19/08/1993 restyled as N Cutting Agencies Ltd and on 21/11/1995 reverted to Denholm Shipping Co Ltd, remaining as such today (2020)

Mountpark Shipping Co. Ltd
Incorporated 8th April 2014 Reg No. 08984120

The yellow funnel may remain if the residual charter period was purchased with the vessel being she also still sports the ULTRABULK on her sides. Denholm flag replacing the ultrabulk logo. Just a thought!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Think you are maybe reading too much into that London reg there Bill. If you follow that 'horses mouth' link I posted earlier with the 'fleet' https://www.denholm-group.co.uk/what...t/mv-wellpark/ - at the bottom of the page the Head Office is 18 Woodside Crescent, Glasgow, G3 7UL. But who knows within the twisted webs of shipping companies .... Anyway, me and Stephen are old Denholm Line Steamers, reg. Glasgow, men ...(btw I'm sure Harrisons (Clyde)/ Stirling Shipping were at there up or near that address, at some stage)

·
Premium Member
11,609 Posts
My three Denholm ships were:

Scotspark, Owned by Scotspark Shipping Co.

Glenpark , Owned by Strathpark Shipping Co.

Wellpark, Owned by Denholm Line Steamers.

I wish I had been able to sail in Clunepark. Just a visit, but I think it would have a cracker. Missed sailing in Mountpark.he Left Warwick Fort in Singapore and went to Glasgow. Mistake I was supposed to head down to Newcastle NSW for Mountpark. Spent almost a week working in the office (Mail Room)… then went up to Thunder Bay to join Scotspark.

Stephen

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Think you are maybe reading too much into that London reg there Bill. If you follow that 'horses mouth' link I posted earlier with the 'fleet' https://www.denholm-group.co.uk/what...t/mv-wellpark/ - at the bottom of the page the Head Office is 18 Woodside Crescent, Glasgow, G3 7UL. But who knows within the twisted webs of shipping companies .... Anyway, me and Stephen are old Denholm Line Steamers, reg. Glasgow, men ...(btw I'm sure Harrisons (Clyde)/ Stirling Shipping were at there up or near that address, at some stage)
Don't dispute the head office being in Glasgow, David. The vessel is owned by Mountpark Shipping Co which has it's office at 12, Finsbury Sqr London. John Stephen Denholm is quoted as one of the directors

·
Registered
157 Posts
Address

Harrisons(Clyde)/Stirling Shipping were at 16 Woodside Crescent. Spent 18 years visiting that address. Five month trip on the MOUNTPARK in 1969.

·
Read Only
22 Posts
remember denholms address was
120 st vincent street glasgow, when i was with them in 63 to late 70s apprentice and 2/0 etc.
remember being called to glasgow to join a vessel and they booked me in at duncans ? hotel asked for a beer and told it was a temperance hotel, didnt exist in yorkshire.
any memories

·
Premium Member
11,609 Posts
remember denholms address was
120 st vincent street glasgow, when i was with them in 63 to late 70s apprentice and 2/0 etc.
Just looking through an old copy of Denhom News, according to Spring 1970 you were 3/O in Naess Talisman. In an old June 1966 you are not mentioned. Cadets are not mentioned at all!

Stephen

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Just looking through an old copy of Denhom News, according to Spring 1970 you were 3/O in Naess Talisman. In an old June 1966 you are not mentioned. Cadets are not mentioned at all!

Stephen
I was 3rd.mate on the Talisman 1968.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
David, For whatever reason, two company names were swopped on 17th June 2008 wherein the Scottish registered J & J Denholm, Ltd (Reg No.SC009656 - incorporated 12th August 1916) was named Denholm Brown Brothers & Co Ltd whilst the English registered Denholm Brown Brothers & Co Ltd (Reg No. 009555037 – incorporated 28th May 1969) became J & J Denholm Ltd; effectively changing the parent company from Scottish to English registry.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I'm just happy to see UK ships coming into Tauranga, NZ, again--so far, "Glenpark" and "Mountpark"--more coming, I hope. Back in the '60's, Denholms were generous with postcards, which I'm grateful to have. Cheers, Brent

·
Premium Member
11,609 Posts
Not many sea staff ever got any of the Denholm official 'postcards'. I never saw them on board any of the ships. We knew about the images because they appeared in copies of Denholm News. Between ships I was in the office and I asked someone about the postcards. Went to a locker it was full of the cards, like shoeboxes for each ship. I picked about thirty of them. I should have asked for the lot.

Stephen

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Father was an apprentice on the Wellpark August 1938 to September 1939. He recalls varnishing the teakwood around the bridge and the Master's deck on 2 September 1939 only to be ordered the following day after war was declared to paint over it in grey! He then completed his apprenticeship on the Broompark, a new ship which he joined just before she commenced trials on the Firth of the Forth before sitting for his 2nd Mates ticket in Glasgow in March 1941.

·
Premium Member
11,609 Posts
One of the fine Denholm ships had a teak bridge front. It was the Old Man's pride and joy. A relief master came over and decided varnish was a crop of BS so he had the teak painted white. The regular master returned he then spent the voyage to the Far Easter, sitting on a stage to scrape the white off and then a new coat of varnish!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts