Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all.
Beginning 2022 we will be moving into a small appartement , our present house
and garden are far to big for us now. The first of the new furniture will be arriving
soon and to prepare for that have started to sort through what has been collected
over all the years as we just won't have room for most of it
Among the stuff I've found and will not be able to keep is about 60 Denholm News
covering the period 1963 until I came ashore in 1981. All in good condition , some doubles
but all giving a good Denholm history of the period

I realise not living in the UK will make it difficult to pass on but I thought if anyone
is interested and happened to be passing through the southern part of the Netherlands
on their way back to the UK , they would be more than welcome to drop by and pick
them up.

Don't all rush for the ferry.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Afternoon all.
and garden are far to big for us now. The first of the new furniture will be arriving
soon and to prepare for that have started to sort through what has been collected
Among the stuff I've found and will not be able to keep is about 60 Denholm News
covering the period 1963 until I came ashore in 1981. All in good condition , some doubles

I realise not living in the UK will make it difficult to pass on but I thought if anyone
is interested and happened to be passing through the southern part of the Netherlands
on their way back to the UK , they would be more than welcome to drop by and pick
them up.

Good old Denholm news. Very long time since I first read them.

·
Premium Member
10,374 Posts
GM John, DITCHING DENHOLM NEWSs! Couldn't you have persuaded the wife to stay behind instead?

(Very pleased to hear you are still with us and firing on a cylinder or two. Regrettably you clime is too far into foreign, even for such treasure).

David V

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know David , will be rather sad in having to let them go as there are some fine illustrations
in them articles though only really for us "older " Denholm men. Lots of people -
Alfie Cromarty , Jas Reid , Sandy Cant , all Denholm legends

·
Registered
565 Posts
I know David , will be rather sad in having to let them go as there are some fine illustrations
in them articles though only really for us "older " Denholm men. Lots of people -
Alfie Cromarty , Jas Reid , Sandy Cant , all Denholm legends
Are there any copy's online?
All mine vanished years ago. Some to my then girlfriend who became my ex girlfriend.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not as far as I know George . Have posted a few pics from them over the years but there's
too much in them to do much more.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was with Denholm's mid 70 to early 80s. I had quite a few photos in Denholm News. I was on the Nordic Commander when it was about 4 months old and I set up the darkroom on board. Unfortunately some of the developer had gone off in the heat but I was able to get some. Several of my pictures of the Nordic Commander were featured in Denholm News including some with the caption Nordic Clansman!

·
Premium Member
11,509 Posts
John, If I was able to get to NL I would be there in a shot. Unfortunately it is a bit far to fly. Over the years I picked up only old Denholm News... the 1966 Cenentary Issue. Stunning! I have Spring 1970 to late 70s, but I'm sure if I missed a couple.

Would be great to get the whole collection of every issue and then put them on disk. Wouldn't take more than six months work. :) You can find books about Cunard, P&O etc but not Denholm. Shame.

Bill Harvey has done a fine work on his Denholm Fleet List. Well worth having.

Stephen

·
Registered
30 Posts
Afternoon all.

them up.

Greeting John,

This is Falconer from Singapore,

Please do not chuck them away!! If you cannot find a decent home for them prior to you "flit" I may be able to ask my close pal's daughter to pick them up as she lives in Holland, and is also a copilot with KLM so I can probably get them to Singapore free of charge! What part of Holland do you live?

Ian (John) Falconer Crinan batch of July 64

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
John, If I was able to get to NL I would be there in a shot. Unfortunately it is a bit far to fly. Over the years I picked up only old Denholm News... the 1966 Cenentary Issue. Stunning! I have Spring 1970 to late 70s, but I'm sure if I missed a couple.

Would be great to get the whole collection of every issue and then put them on disk. Wouldn't take more than six months work. :) You can find books about Cunard, P&O etc but not Denholm. Shame.

Bill Harvey has done a fine work on his Denholm Fleet List. Well worth having.

Stephen
Sent you a PM Stephen

Stephen , just discovered that on this new fangled site I dont know how to
send PM's so bear with me.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greeting John,

This is Falconer from Singapore,

Please do not chuck them away!! If you cannot find a decent home for them prior to you "flit" I may be able to ask my close pal's daughter to pick them up as she lives in Holland, and is also a copilot with KLM so I can probably get them to Singapore free of charge! What part of Holland do you live?

Ian (John) Falconer Crinan batch of July 64

G'day Ian,

I was Crinan July 1963 so two "intakes "before you. Have made no plans yet , just sounding out what
the best to do is. We are right on the Belgian border ( border cuts village in half) about 20 Km South
of Bergen op zoom half way between there and Antwerp.

PS , got a pic of you in one of the issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
G'day Ian,

I was Crinan July 1963 so two "intakes "before you. Have made no plans yet , just sounding out what
the best to do is. We are right on the Belgian border ( border cuts village in half) about 20 Km South
of Bergen op zoom half way between there and Antwerp.

PS , got a pic of you in one of the issues.
Morning John
Wow, wonder if I still look the same, experts say that living near the equator keeps you youthful although these same so called experts did not mention "looking" youthful!!

·
Premium Member
10,374 Posts
In your youth such a comparison might have had something of the beauty contest about it. Wrinkles, 'liver spots' and, perchance, some post middle-age spread will make it a more severe test of masculine pulchritude.

(As for 'measuring-up', perhaps best left to the privacy of the Members Lounge).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Afternoon all.

them up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi John. Its Willie Munro here. Have you still got the Denholm News ? If yes then I may be interested in arranging a digital library. I have already a few from the late 70's + early 80's.
Fyg I was with Denholms 1976 to 1987. Deck cadet (Arctic Troll/Asiafreighter/Wellpark (maiden voyage)/Suecia Team/Nordic Patriot) until January 1980. Then moved around the fleet (Cast Petrol/Arctic Troll/Coatal Hercules/Scandia Team/Cast Otter (maiden voyage)/Cast Huskey/Cast Muskox/Northern Enterprise/Exxtor1. Was relieving chief officer on the Otter/Muskox/Huskey 1984-87 and I recall you were the local Antwerp cargo super. After Denholm's I eventually ended up with Maersk Tankers in 1988. First command 1991 sailing oil/gas/chemicals. Decided to step back from deep sea this year but still actively engaged in marine work locally in Wick and also relieving on the local windfarm vessels.
Cheers
Willie

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes Willie , still got them safely tucked away.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I remember you I was bosun on the Maersk cadet you were mate rigging the pilot ladder the AB pulls out his zippo and offers us a fag(on a gas tanker) I Wanted him sacked you refused.Fast forward you joined the Rosyth after she'd been aground .I was sent there to train the sa crew who had no tanker experience.at all.If you remember.the way the ship was set up was one messroom and the saloon .The second engineer refuses to share a messroom with the crew so the crew smokoS and meal times are 930-10. 11-12 .and 2.30-3. I refused to comply I stuck to the to the traditional merchant navy meal times.So all deck work stops.you were the the master but you let a second engineer dictate to you by the way when we discharged the cargo of palm and coconut oil it was all of spec-your fault again. I was there when you were berating the Indian mate who really didn't have a clue.Luckily for the ship cast. dodger relieve you and turned the ship round.Thecrew didn't call you weary wullie for nothing you were one miserable bastard

1 - 20 of 124 Posts