Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Hard running wee ships was an understatement from Capt Joe Styewart (He was there when I was there)
Had not finished unloading limestone from LLandulas in Londonderry by Friday afternoon. Great, a weekend in port we thought. Big mistake.
Got orders to sail when they dockies knocked off for the weekend and go to the "Quarries"
Sailed there and topped off again for Derry and was back again ready to start on Monday morning!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Capt. Bill,
Sounds abt right, I only did two trips one as 2 mate and one as mate Masters I sailed with were Jimmy Gillies From Islay (Lived in Bridge of Allan) Jimmy Mc Neil (Irish)
Willie Souter From Stonehaven. I met Jimmy mac Dowell (Irish) in the club at CMC Magremorn. but choked on the Quarrie dust a few times.
Argyll

·
Registered
447 Posts
Argyll
The Magheramourne club was the only place the cement dust did'nt settle. Too many pints on the go !!
Hope you enjoyed the wee Club..I missed the 'Ballyhill' while enjoying the amenities of the club & got a VNC co's I sat too long & forgot the 'boat' was waitin'.. (*))
McG

·
Registered
723 Posts
kylebank

Argyll said:
Does anyone out ther remember the the Gem Line of Glasgow, I did a couple of trips onthe Torquiose she was originally Kylebank of Monroes of Liverpool I think don'know much about Monroes. Gem line used to load a lot in Llandullus for Norway & sweden and also Ghent also Delfzeil

Argyll
Cor she must have been a ripe old age when you were in her,I remember a time she was in the lock coming out of Barry dock and the dockmaster told the Skipper she was overloaded so the skipper strted to pump fresh water out of her, It made no difference, she was sinking and had to put back in and discharge for repairs, probably a few cement boxes were needed (Cloud)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Tell,
I was on her in 1977. as stated I was 2nd. mate and then mate what a packet she was. the two deep tanks betweenn0.1 & 2 , hold I discovered leaked into No. 3 DB and usually the engineers could not get the water out off the DB. the Chief Eng. was Carl Jenny. not the sharpest tack in the box
Argyll

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi, anyone remember the stream fisher, joined her in drogheda 1962, cant find book at moment for exact date, was mostly on drogheda/preston container run. regards joe

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Argyll,

I tried to find some history about William Robertson - Gem Line (see Ships Research section, William Robertson Gem Line thread).

Heard from quite a few people who sailed on the ships, but couldn't get any historical data unfortunately. I contacted Stephenson Clarke direct...and got no response.

There are some good pictures in the coasters section of the gallery that bring back happy memories of my youth.!

Ships are still running out of Llandulas too.!

Cheers,

Rushie

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Kingsnorth Fisher

Hi,

Has anyone got any photos of the Kingsnorth Fisher in Teignmouth when she delivered a turbine.? Don't know the date.

Rushie

·
Registered
16 Posts
Derwent Fisher.

[ My era 1977/78 ].
Well, I really have to say that the 'Derwent' was one the most comfortable and 'engineer friendly' of the 'little ones' that I was blessed with.
DC electrics, [belt driven shaft generator (conical clutch) from the prop. shaft when full-away].
Sweet little 6cyl Deutz Main Engine.
Pumps driven via eccentric from M.E. nde.
Vessel was confidant and secure in big seas.
Alfie Lester [Leister?] was permanant Chief at that time.
A gentleman and a 'grafter'.
I was priviledged to sail with, and relieve, him.
We met up again on the 'Bintang Bolong' ...........[where is it now?]

rgds.,
baffled.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Talking of Fishers.Does anyone recall the Seafisher.She had strange hatches with round sides extending out to the bulwarks.At the time I was in her ('46 or thereabouts)she was running from Manchester to spanish ports carrying Portable generators and returning to Barrow with iron ore.Great crossing the bay in bad weather.Once had the Ushant light on the starboard beam for 24 hours.Steaming to nowhere at ten knots.
Pierhead jumper.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts