Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any details on a small cargo steamer "Texa" of Glasgow which was trading in the Clyde in 1897 ?
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts

·
Banned
25 Posts
She was a small, engine aft, single masted cargo ship built as the 'James Mutter' by Scott & Co., Bowling in 1884 for J & W Mutter of Glasgow. Originally 100' in length and measuring 157GT, she was lengthened in 1891 by 18', her GT being raised to 185. She was driven by a two cylinder compound (16", 28" x 22").
David MacBrayne acquired her in 1889 and for many years she worked MacBrayne's Loch Fyne cargo service, leaving Bridge Wharf, under the Caledonian Railway Bridge, with mast and funnel down, three times a week.
She went to the Douglas Shipping Co.(IOM) in 1917 and was sold to Samuel Gray of Belfast in 1932, being wrecked in the same year.

From Duckworth & Langmuir's "West Highland Steamers".

Seems to me she is mentioned in "Para Handy". That, in itself, would make her immortal.

Bruce C.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bruce:
"Seems to me she is mentioned in "Para Handy". That, in itself, would make her immortal."

If I remember correctly she's the boat Sunny Jim travels on to meet the Vital Spark when he first joins. I'm not sure of the title; could it be "A New Cook," perhaps?

·
Banned
25 Posts
"The s.s. Texa made a triumphal entry to the harbour by steaming in between two square-rigged schooners, the Volant and Jehu, of Wick, and slid silently, with the exactitude of long experience, against the piles of Rothesay quay, where Para Handy sat on a log of wood."
So begins "A New Cook', the first tale in "In Highland Harbours With Para Handy". (Hugh Foulis, William Blackwood and Sons, Edinburgh and London, 1911).

JKB, you are right. As the gentleman himself would say "Chust Sublime".

Bruce C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts