Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Roberts Bluetune T2 Dab radio, seems it has all sorts of stuff you can do with it, but we just use it as a radio.
Anyway it has a transformer as most stuff does for mains and also rechargeable batteries.

The wife changed channels then turned it off. Next morning the screen was lit up on the station she wanted, but no sound nor any other button would work. So unplugged the mains and still nothing yet the screen was still lit up on the station. So wife sends an email to Roberts technical department which have been good in the past.
We are about to take it back to JL as it was still under warranty, but deciced to remove the batteries. The wife plugged it into the mains and wallah, white man's magic, it worked.

I was about to email Roberts back, when the wife found their reply on another address, and this is what they recommended. Thinking we had turned off the power, but forgot about the batteries.

So a good rule of thumb with electronics, even cars now, is to remove power to the gubbins, let it sort itself out then power up. I am sure other makes use the same internal gubbins, the rest is just packaging and quality of the gubbins.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
The old adage of 'switch it off, leave it, switch it on again' falls flat when it has its own power supply, just to confuse you.
Same applies to some laptops that I have worked on in the past. Even more complicated on them sometimes because they also have another small battery on the board which needs disabling as well.
Most recent time I found similar issue was on an MSF (radio controlled) watch which not only needed the battery removed to reset, but the empty battery compartment then also needed to be shorted out.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Not quite on topic but the mention of car #1 and presumably battery etc raises the hairs a wee bit..
Never ever attempt to change a car battery in a modern car and worse still help a stranded motorist using jump leads.
You might be lucky but if not you'll blow your car electronics and your bank balance to boot.
If you have a need to disconnect your battery terminals make sure all your doors are closed and your radio or anything else ancillary is switched off.
Not quite on topic but

1 - 3 of 3 Posts