Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is renewed pressure to ban the smacking of children in England (it is already banned in Scotland and Wales ) - see here. With all the new travel restrictions associated with Covid, where will the locked-down English Mum's go to vent their frustration on the little buggers?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nanny states interfering in the home with a big stick (joke intended).

There is a world of difference between smacking and beating. And a world of difference in outcome.

Boarding school 50's to mid 60's the slipper was liberally applied, the cane only for serious demeanours.

Am I scarred for life by the experience? NNNoooooooooooooo! Nooooooo - please Sir, not again - Aaaaarghhhhhh.

Seriously? No, I don't think so.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
what ? , no more 6 of the best belting at school anymore ?.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The belt always felt worse on a cold day I remember it well. I went to Crookston Castle school in Pollok, Glasgow and we had a religious Instruction teacher with strange ideas about punishment. We all were given Gideons bibles and if you forgot to bring it to the RI lesson he would get all the forgetful ones usually about six of us stand us in a row and told to put our hands out and shut our eyes and he would only belt one of us. None of us knew who was getting the belt. Think he went on to work for the CIA In Guantanamo, the B----------d.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hi My Father was born 1905 to a very strict Father who when you did something wrong you got clumped when I came along in 46 a VE Day celebration I was brought up in the same way I said no to my Father twice the first time I was told you do as I say Weather you like it or not the 2nd time I said no I ended up on the floor of the kitchen with a smack on the check you will do as your told when I did wrong I was told off smacked punished in all sorts of way I was not beaten just smacked I learnt to behave my self be I think a person who is a reasonable member of society not to be a pain in the Stern tube to other people
I used to get the cane at school if I did something wrong and one time queued up outside a class room I got a clump under the chine from the headmaster when asked what was that for I was told just in case you were thinking of doing something wrong , as a young child I had good food good clothes good Holiday every year good Christmas presents and good Birthday presents i was brought up to go to work earn money take care of your own do not rely on anybody else pay your way I believe I was brought up to be a reasonable citizen of this country I miss my dad very much I’m 75 and he died nearly 20 years ago and I miss him.i also believe that children today are being brought up today by a lot of parents that weren’t brought up properly in the first place just my opinion and if you don’t like flaming hard luck
Granty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmmm, problem is, so many of those people 'in authority' over you were closet psychopaths.
Easy to 'beat' someone, when you know they can't hurt you back.
I saw evidence of that in my childhood at school .

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
My mother told me that in their family of 7 girls and 2 boys, their father only had to give them "the look" for them to know they'd done wrong. Never any clipping of ears or physical contact. I must have been really naughty as a kid as both Mum and Dad used to hit me a lot. Most of the time I never even knew why!! I resented them for it.
The headmaster at my school in Rochester was a ex. RN Commander and he took every opportunity to use the cane....on bare bums - the bloody pervert.
With all this in mind, I only ever hit one of my boys once, when he was 13 and had nicked some money from his mother's bag. I regretted that, and said sorry soon after and regretted it every day since.
In our family of 4 - 2 girls, 2 boys, I usually just had to give them "the look" or raise my voice.

They are all in prison now!!............just kidding.........

JJ.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I think bad things got done for the best intentions, I was disruptive at school and quite difficult, the decision was made to cane me for any infraction of rules. In a school where the norm was for a caning to be once a term in total I was caned as often as 6 times a day, looking back at it now I think that a lot of this was down to fear that I was slipping away from the talents I had. From my point of view, I was desperately bored and yet I didn't know what I wanted, I read everything I could find but it seemed take 6 months for information to soak through and sometimes it still does. School was horrible and it caused me to be a problem in quite a large family.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
#11.
I was trying to lighten a serious reply to the thread. Not expecting but not surprised by your crass comment.

JJ.

·
Registered
211 Posts
In my junior school we had several male teachers who demonstrated habits verging on sadism.
One particular teacher used to keep his bamboo cane immersed in linseed oil in one of those old COOP steri bottles.
Of a morning he would remove the cane from the bottle, flex it and dry it whilst parading backwards and forwards in front of the class.
We had finger nail and clean handkerchief inspection. Anybody not meeting his 'standard' was caned.
We had another teacher who preferred the slipper. Whilst not as painful, the having to lay across his legs while being smacked was a bit uncomfortable,
I'm not saying we were angels, far from it, but it did seem as if caning was the norm.
We were a mixed class, so it was with some bravado that the boys when caned, did not flinch or exhibit pain. In fact I would say that some of them actually put themselves into the frame so that they could show off to the girls.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We had a maths teacher when he came into the class, took his notes out of the briefcase and then a leather belt which was so stiff he could balance it up right on the palm of his hand with the words "Who is getting you today" Mind you the only ones that got it probably deserved it anyway. I think the teachers had to buy these themselves I often wonder what shop they bought it from, maybe an S&M shop?? I was brought up in Glasgow never saw a cane in school always a leather belt, solid at one end and forked at the other.

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
We had a maths teacher when he came into the class, took his notes out of the briefcase and then a leather belt which was so stiff he could balance it up right on the palm of his hand with the words "Who is getting you today" Mind you the only ones that got it probably deserved it anyway. I think the teachers had to buy these themselves I often wonder what shop they bought it from, maybe an S&M shop?? I was brought up in Glasgow never saw a cane in school always a leather belt, solid at one end and forked at the other.
Called a Taws or tawes, a 16th century Scottish word for a whip.
If you want one I expect Amazon or eBay will oblige nowadays.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Called a Taws or tawes, a 16th century Scottish word for a whip.
If you want one I expect Amazon or eBay will oblige nowadays.
I had a close association with the Lochgelly Tawse during my education.
Girls were not exempt; my wife got the strap once for being late

From online: The ‘ tawse’ the name is derived from the method used to cure the hide known as ‘Tawing.’ The Chambers Scots dictionary definition is as follows: “Tawse, Taws, a leather strap cut into thongs at one end, for the use of schoolmasters to punish with, to whip, scourge, belabour.
.Keith

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
I had a close association with the Lochgelly Tawse during my education.
Girls were not exempt; my wife got the strap once for being late

From online: The ‘ tawse’ the name is derived from the method used to cure the hide known as ‘Tawing.’ The Chambers Scots dictionary definition is as follows: “Tawse, Taws, a leather strap cut into thongs at one end, for the use of schoolmasters to punish with, to whip, scourge, belabour.
.Keith
Thanks for the prompt, tawse, of course. - I got the spelling wrong. - Must remember not to put comments off the cuff:oops:
Tawing is the alternative to tanning, but without use of tannin - a method used by the Ancients apparently and still preferred for some applications.

Back in the day the Tawse was used in Scotland and northern England, the cane was used in most of England, the 'slipper' was often the preferred weapon of PT teachers.
In the convent I attended, one nun in particular used any large stick which came to hand, when it broke (or got broken) she would find another.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts