Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
21 Posts
Dispencer

The only salvage ship I have heard of with that name was H.M.S. Dispencer, of a 9 ship R.N. class of salvage ships. She was built about 1943. Dont know what happened to her or her sisters. Perhaps she was sold out of Service and carried on in a civillian role.

Chris.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't know much about the vessel, but there was a Salvage vessel called the 'Dispenser' involved in the refloating of a Steeel & Bennie tug 'Cruiser' and a Kelly Coater called the 'Ballyhalbert' near Ardrossan in January 1958. I believe she arrived off Ardrossan 14-1-58 and was there for around 3 weeks. Willie

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
SS Dispenser. 775 tons built 1943 by Smiths Dockyard, Mdb. 152.7 x 35.7 x 14.6.
3 cylinder steam engine by shipbuilders. Owned by Admiralty, registered Southampton.
Code flags BJLR.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Dispenser was one of eleven KIN CLASS coastal Salvage Vessels built in the mid 1940s. As the name sugests they were engaged in salvage and harbour clearance work for the Admiralty. Some were RN manned and others were contractor manned and some became RFAs. After WW2 some were taken over by commercial companies, some were kept as RFAs and modified to become diesel motor ships and reclassed as Mooring & Salvage Vessels, some were disposed of and latterly four of the class remained and were transferred to the Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service to carry out mooring work. They were Uplifter, Kinloss, Kinbrace and Kingarth. The longest surviving vessel was Swin and lasted in a much altered state until 2002 under Dutch ownership. I sailed as Master on Uplifter and Kinloss for a time. Old they may have been, basic in accommodation they may have been but they were good ships to work on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts