Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most of us remember the times of watch keeping at sea, additional hours, many without pay on essential duties plus the inclement weather that even denied you the relaxation needed off watch.
Times when you craved sleep, snatching those short bursts of reverie whenever you could .
For some that has a longer career afloat, sheep patterns must have become embedded in the mindset to be carried into later life.
Even though my seagoing time was relatively short and the experiences long ago I can still recall those particularly trying times of sleep deprivation that now raise their heads in the form of bladder demands and other intrusions that bring one to needing , and indeed enjoying an afternoon nap, even an involuntary snooze through a TV programme that was as interesting and gripping as one could be.
This habit sometimes attracts ribald comment from loved ones and many others that have never experienced the real torture of sleeplessness in their whole lives.
I recently went to a birthday party of a very old friend as as the crowded room quietened for a moment , I stood up and asked
"Hands up all those that like or have an afternoon nap?"
Almost every hand in the room went up and I felt normal again.
The question from me now is "Do you have an afternoon nap?"
Let us know your inner secrets.
Maybe this thread could extend to tales of sleep deprived horror watches on the high seas!

Bob

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have just had mine and I have enjoyed it very much.Once I left the sea I never really lost the habit, and if opportunity arose, I would have a nap,not always easy when working "9 to 5".

I can have a nap of as little as 10 minutes and wake up refreshed, but I do know some people,my wife is one,that claim they don't feel any benefit from such a short sleep.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
These days I never sleep during the day. Years ago I would have a short kip on the sofa in the PM after an early morning shift.
I never slept well during the day when on night shifts, so I was always knackered at work and sometimes felt I could sleep on a clothes line at about 0400ish or earlier.

JJ.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yes. My nightly sleep is still messy, even after 4 years retirement. If occupied I can do without until I sit down.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The post-lunch 'power nap' is a well-known and beneficial thing, but one should always set an alarm because it should be no longer than twenty minutes. If this rule is obeyed, you should find that you don't feel groggy; only refreshed and ready for action. It avoids you falling asleep whilst watching TV that evening.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
My recurrent nightmare was that I had fallen asleep on watch, wake with a start (I was going to say "jerk", but you lot would be all over this) and a feeling of panic.

Later career led me to be a lecturer. I feel it to be a matter of pride to be able to say that I did fall asleep in my own lecture once, they had all quietly gone, bless them, and not pulled any nasty prank.

I do nap after lunch, but rarely for more than 5 min. Quite enjoyable, usually woken by book crashing to the floor.

·
Registered
895 Posts
4 on and 8 off was somewhat of a luxury, a good many years were spent, 4on/4off (a killer) 5on/5off (my favourite) and 6on/6off (too long on watch to be alert in traffic and in your 6 off never was 6 off). Liked the 5/5 as got a different part of the day every other day, whilst coasting looked forward to those 30/36 hour passages, as got into a rhythm, short passages 5/5 and then arriving/sailing same day, slinging hatch dominoes and beams around and tugging tarps, might help to build the muscles, but didn't do much for alertness on watch..

Still find it difficult to get a full nights sleep, and occasionally have a power nap, which works for me

·
Registered
497 Posts
Left deepsea 20 years ago but i'm a very poor sleeper still and i think due to a lot of watchkeeping over the years...average about 4-5 a night which isn't really enough but can't help myself. I'm sure there is loads of other guys in a simular situation with sleep paterns!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don’t sleep in the afternoon but if I put the television on in the evening to watch a particular programme I am invariably asleep within minutes

·
Registered
149 Posts
I must admit I am a bit like Stevie Burgess...I am very lucky if I get 4/5 hours sleep a night........I think the six on six off did not help, and most days did more than that. I do nod off occasionally, especially watching TV but I do not purposely take a siesta after lunch.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Hi Bob

Yes, I try to take a nap in the afternoon, sometimes I can't seem to 'drop off', but switch the TV on and I switch off.....zzzzzzz

·
Registered
6,923 Posts

A delight to hear from Mr Olass again!

Years ago, when piloting, much (and it seemed like the majority) of my work took place at night. Often right through - and I would arrive home at about 0800 or so feeling about as vigorous as a wet rag and wholly unable to sleep. There was simply no point in even going to bed at that time. I soon learned that the answer was a dram or twain at lunchtime, followed by an afternoon nap of perhaps two hours. At one point I thought that to have a nap was the sole purpose of the afternoon.

Times change - and in retirement I very rarely have an afternoon nap.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts